What was the first import game you bought?

gusmoney

Unsure if You Asked, For a custom Rank, But Hell,
10 Year Member
Wrestle War for the Mega Drive from ComiCards in NE Philly.

I loved wrestling video games (more so than watching it on TV) and I thought it was really cool that it was an import. Gave it that cache.

I think I had to do some surgery on my Genesis to get the cart to fit.

It was later that my local arcade got it, iirc.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
Street Fighter Zero 2 for the Saturn. Got it from GameCave right when the game came out. That was when I realized that the Saturn's library is so much more impressive when you import the good stuff from the land of the rising sun.

According to facebook groups, no one talks about the imports when talking about Saturn, it's just not that important. :lolz:

c0nn0r

If I could have, My time back, I'd keep it in ma'
10 Year Member
Street Fighter 2 CE for PC Engine right when it came out. I used it with an adapter on my Turbo Express. Still have the Express, but sadly sold the Hu Card.

godzilla43

Geese's Thug
Maybe new Bart vs World NES in early 1992. I could have chosen Mario 3 but hey it's the Simpsons.
Still I played a lot of it so it was not that bad and I was proud that I had a game that other kids in school did not have.

First import SNES game was Rocky and Bullwinkle 1994. It was dirt cheap but even back then we try to play that but we just could not... reason probably the worst video game that been ever created. Still have that cart. Just go to youtube and listen to that horrible music.

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
Shining Force III scenario 2 or SF III s3 whichever arrived first.

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
Valis IV for the Turbografx 16.I forgot the name of the importer but i remember it had a add in a issue of egm.

Renmauzo

MS Paint Master.
10 Year Member
The first import I got, my Mom bought from our local rental store. Bio Miracle Bokutte Upa!! on Famicom with the adapter is a special game to me all these years later.

The first import I bought was Ikaruga on DC. It was one of those organic discoveries; I'd never heard of it, I just thought "That looks cool" and pulled the trigger.

titchgamer

Guerilla Warrior
My cherry was popped on a Super Famicom with Mario World and Bomberman.

jeffkun34

Science will find a way!,
20 Year Member
DBZ Super Butoden 3 on the SFC. Damn I had a lot of fun with that game.

Late

Reichsf?rer-Finnland,
20 Year Member
A US Star Fox + converter that could handle the SFX games, from a long-defunct import game store across the street from the Helsinki museum of natural history.

godzilla43

Geese's Thug
A US Star Fox + converter that could handle the SFX games, from a long-defunct import game store across the street from the Helsinki museum of natural history.

I bought the Rocky and Bullwinkle there. That was a great place.

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
My first import buy was King of Fighters '96 and a 4-in-1 RAM cart/converter for my Sega Saturn. I know it's ridiculous, but hearing Geese Howard's theme in CD-quality audio for the first time literally brought tears to my eyes.

WoodyXP

Setsuna's Owl Keeper,
15 Year Member
Inspired by a recent GohanX post, what was your first import game?

I didn't have just one. My first import purchase was Dynamite Deka, Marvel vs Capcom, Virtua Fighter 3tb and Sonic Adventure for Dreamcast.

Ajax

way more american than wyo, way more
15 Year Member
Symphony of the Night or Salamander collection (whatever it was called) for Saturn, I suppose.

First eBay purchase was a top loading NES bundle, just about 20 years ago now.

Hikaru Ichijyo

Thundercock,
I can't completely remember but I believe it was Cutie Suzuki No Ringside Angel for the Mega Drive. I got it from some now long defunct mom n' pop game store and picked it up because it was decently priced as well as having a neat lenticular cover. :)

RBjakeSpecial

Land of the Rising Bling:,
20 Year Member
Euro Shenmue 2 for DC. I didn't have to order online though since EB Games had copies available in-store.

Not my first - but my first purchase with my first REAL pay check. I walked into EB Games and saw it on the shelf.... SO good. Speaking of which the remaster is out soon. I may get it.

I tried to play it again on Xbox but the voice acting was too terrible.

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
i bought kof 95 for the saturn from cex back in the mid 90's when they were huge into imports. if it wasn't for them, i would of never been able to buy import games. they had a huge collection of aes games which later i found out that they were sold to cex by one of appleidog's friends.

the only time i started importing games from japan was when ebay became a thing.

Last edited:

ChopstickSamurai

I have earned the, right to PM Rot.,
Reading this thread shows just how different importing games are now. If it's new stuff you can just buy direct from Amazon Japan and save money cutting out the middleman. NCSX was my jam for years tho.

Colorado Rockie

Terry Bogard's Taylor
Not my first - but my first purchase with my first REAL pay check. I walked into EB Games and saw it on the shelf.... SO good. Speaking of which the remaster is out soon. I may get it.

I tried to play it again on Xbox but the voice acting was too terrible.

Heh yeah EB had tons of good DC stuff back then. Mine even had copies of Ikaruga. I think Shenmue 2 was like $60, and I also had to buy the disc that lets you play imports for like $25. So after tax it was close to $100, which was a lot of money as a kid. Well worth it though.

goombakid

Fu'un-Ken Master
10 Year Member
I think mine was Street Fighter II for Super Famicom. I got it about a week or so after it's release while I was on a class trip to Japan. My friend found it from a little mom and pop game shop in Kyoto. They only had 10 copies and me and 4 other friends nabbed a copy each.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
It was a Super Famicom game. Either Seiken Densetsu 3 or Final Fantasy V. Don't remember which.

Didn't really start buying Japanese shit until PS1/Saturn era.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
Maybe japanese Tenchu for the Playstation, no idea which version of it.