AES Repair

PrepVet

n00b
Good morning,

Is there somewhere trusted I can send my AES for repair/mod?

I would like to run my Japanese system on my flat panel. As it is it won’t run on my DLP nor my 4Ks. Even the old CRT I had for my retro gaming setup is only displaying garbled video.

Carless Walker

Kabuki Klasher
Have you cleaned the pins on the cartridges you're testing with? Does it do it on all Carts? What about when you turn it on with no cart inserted, solid blue screen?

PrepVet

n00b
All carts. Cleaned. Even the empty blue screen is garbled up. I’ll try a different av cable but I hold little hope.

PrepVet

n00b
No one has had their AES repaired?

Google search is a joke for results.

Is it possible to do an HDMI somewhere?

Thanks

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
neotropolis / kenny has done HDMI mods on AES consoles - try him.

He’s not a popular name round these parts though...

PrepVet

n00b
Also as I was thinking about it... could I have a power brick and/or AV cable that is causing the issues? When I bought the AWS direct from Japan I have a power brick and av cable I bought off of eBay and Amazon. Would originals possibly fix it?

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
It's possible, and it's also possible you have the wrong power cable, as there are two different ones that work with home systems.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
If you have a 10 volt system a Genesis 1 power supply will work. If you have a 5v system that's a little harder, but if you search around you can probably find a compatible 5v 3A supply that will work. If you plugged a 10v PSU into a 5V system then you probably fried something and need to send the system in for repair. If you plug a 5V PSU into a 10V system it's not going to hurt it but it's not going to work either.

PrepVet

n00b
The official SNK psu I bought is the Pro- UL NEO-0 at 5v

I also have two others that fit. I think one may have come with it when I bought it from Japan but I’m not sure.

1: Hasbro BI13-060220-AdU @ 6v 350mA
2. Switching Adpter SWJ-0900500-US @ 9v 500mA

CZroe

Zero's Secretary
The system says 8v and the power pack says 5v...
We call systems that take a regulated 5v center-negative PSU “5v consoles” and we call systems that that take a range of voltages and originally included 10v or 11v center-negative PSUs “9v consoles.” Almost universally, everyone says not to trust the label. If you have a 9v console running with a 5v PSU then even the blue screen with no game inserted will look garbled, much like this:
https://youtu.be/pn4lyZHsSTE&t=0m50s
(jump to 50 seconds if the link doesn’t do that for you)

It’s possible to fry a 5v console with a 8v+ PSU, so open it up and verify first. 5v consoles typically have a daughterboard or an early board revision.

TL;DR: if yours looks like the one in the video at 0:50 then there’s a chance that it works fine and you just need a higher voltage PSU. MAKE SURE you aren’t going to fry a 5v system before you try that.

PrepVet

n00b
Without that video I’m not sure but I did a search and didn’t really find much that was similar.

I’ll open the console up next week, I’m hoping it is just the wrong psu but I don’t want to fry it.

If it is not a simple fix where would you guys suggest I send it for repair?

Also is there an hdmi mod? Or how would I best go about getting the best possible picture on a flat panel hdtv? I have a spare upscaler for component to hdmi.

CZroe

Zero's Secretary
Without that video I’m not sure but I did a search and didn’t really find much that was similar.

I’ll open the console up next week, I’m hoping it is just the wrong psu but I don’t want to fry it.

If it is not a simple fix where would you guys suggest I send it for repair?

Also is there an hdmi mod? Or how would I best go about getting the best possible picture on a flat panel hdtv? I have a spare upscaler for component to hdmi.
Try it without the &t=0m50s and skip to 50seconds:
https://youtu.be/pn4lyZHsSTE

I guess that method for linking specific times doesn’t work with a shortened YouTube URL. :(

PrepVet

n00b
33vkbc8.jpg

ddgi79.jpg

I assume then this requires the larger psu?

Suplex

n00b
Should be 5v/3A negative tip PSU, and I think if you look again it says 8w not 8v. I can't quite remember but believe the inclusion of the inductor next to the reset button means it should have 9-10v protection. What does it say on the bottom of the console to use?

PrepVet

n00b
Should be 5v/3A negative tip PSU, and I think if you look again it says 8w not 8v. I can't quite remember but believe the inclusion of the inductor next to the reset button means it should have 9-10v protection. What does it say on the bottom of the console to use?
Yes 8w.

Are you referring to the ac on the back of the console?

dz6xrp.jpg

xwred5

n00b
You have a 9V system. This part is a switching supply taking the unregulated input dropping it to 5V

Untitled12V.jpg

Last edited: