Is this art?

Lastblade

Friend me on Facebook!,
20 Year Member
Art like this is about what other people like. If other people are bidding it up, must be good.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
Art like this is about what other people like. If other people are bidding it up, must be good.

This is why I mentioned shill bidders. If I own a painting by Roy Lichtenstein, I'm going to be very concerned about its value. So whenever another Lichtenstein painting goes up for auction, I'm going to bid it up because I want my own Lichtenstein painting to gain (or at least maintain) its value. In other words, auction values are artificially inflated for known artists. Again, for this kid, it's just rich people sucking their own dicks by encouraging him.

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
Abstract art isn't my cup of tea, but, on the other hand, some of this kid's creations are pretty pleasing to the eye. If he can sell them for thousands, more power to him.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
Abstract art isn't my cup of tea, but, on the other hand, some of this kid's creations are pretty pleasing to the eye. If he can sell them for thousands, more power to him.

he's 4 dude.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Buying expensive art is also a great way to launder money.

Anyone paying a couple hundred thousand or more has ulterior motives other than just 'that's a nice painting'.

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,

Anyone paying a couple hundred thousand or more has ulterior motives other than just 'that's a nice painting'.

You would know, you clearly hang in the multi-millionaire art crowd.

GhostSeed

Angel's Love Slave
10 Year Member
That kids stuff looks better than that the crap in the back ground at 01:35.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide

Yes, quite so, and if there's not enough, you create some: see Damien Hirst. It's the same with charities.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
Art collectors are just shelf queens on a baller budget.

Fight me.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Ha! I was just coming to mention him.

...and I fully agree with you. He's just the prime example of modern art speculations. A couple of gallery big tymers decide, how high the price this season's got to be, or they'll loose money. Of course, Mr. Hirst is up to the task and gets the PR job done. In the end, everything is neatly designed and you end up owning dearly bought stuffed animals. Norman Bates comes to mind ;).

Marek

Banned
If it sells, it's probably art. The kid's quite good, it's not easy to paint such filigree structures with acrylic. But his motives are just "beautiful" NASA satellite photos, you can see dozens of on iPhone wallpapers and to be honest, the satellites do better.

All children are artists. The problem is how to remain an artist once you grow up. That's Picasso. That's also what this 4-year old will have to face in the future. But what future anyway? Fountain was almost 100 years ago and Sherrie Levine's appropriated art is going straight towards their 30s. But yeah, if it sells, it's probably art...

Facts. I agree with oliver full stop

These paintings are cool as fuck and look like crazy nebulae.

You fucking nay saying savages probably dont "get" Rothko either. But i dare anyone to stand in a large gallery of nothing but huge Rothko paintings and not understand what he was going for.

The irony of this thread is that some douche bro could easily say that MOTW sprites arent art, and all you autist faggots would freak out about it.

Damulta

Armored Scrum Object
I think I should smear some paint and list it on the bay see what happens

Late

Reichsf?rer-Finnland,
20 Year Member
...and I fully agree with you. He's just the prime example of modern art speculations. A couple of gallery big tymers decide, how high the price this season's got to be, or they'll loose money. Of course, Mr. Hirst is up to the task and gets the PR job done.

Yup, I know a guy who ran an art gallery in the early 2000's, and he's witnessed the same phenomenon, on a much smaller scale ofc.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Art is seen, judged from many viewpoints. Some may say the Mona Lisa or any other portrait or landscape painted realistically and accurately is Art. Others will discard paintbrush skill with replicating reality in favour of abstract depictions as Art. I believe any and all expression in recorded form is Art, anyone can do it and it's as meaningful or as meaningless as the creator intends but also as the observer feels.

Art is many forms other than the paintbrush and canvas, never forget that.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member

You fucking nay saying savages probably dont "get" Rothko either. But i dare anyone to stand in a large gallery of nothing but huge Rothko paintings and not understand what he was going for.

The irony of this thread is that some douche bro could easily say that MOTW sprites arent art, and all you autist faggots would freak out about it.

not sure 100% what you mean, might be my own limitations in reading comprehension. but the problem I have is not wether or not this kid is an artist - he is - but that his art be used as currency as are the works of established artists. I think it's hugely perverse to be commercializing his work. I for one really enjoy art and in particular stuff that is at the fringes - outsider art and naive art for example. I dabble a little myself, definetly nothing to write home about though.
love Rothko.

djjimmyjames

NG.com Tattoo Artist.,
15 Year Member
Well its creative, not really art as much as a hobbie. I always felt people like pollock were overrated. There was a Documentary about a guy that fallowed the Obay guy and he copied him and is a millionaire guy has no art talent everything was ripped and printed at like a kinkos. The funny thing is people that cant art and have a shit ton of money will spend it on shit they wished they could do.

Well im an artist that sells mountains of work and I say that dude is trash.

Last edited: