Favorite AES/CMVS stick?

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
I’d sound biased if I just said AES Old style with Seimitsu buttons, 35mm balltop and JNX GOTW ;)

Burgers5750

Kabuki Klasher
I’d sound biased if I just said AES Old style with Seimitsu buttons, 35mm balltop and JNX GOTW ;)

This.

Hori Fighting Stick Neo is also good but I don't like it as much for fighting games, the joystick gate seems bigger making it harder to pull of moves imo.

MattBlah

Baseball Star Hitter
I mostly use the Neo Hori stick. I prefer the feel and weight of it to the original SNK sticks. If I am just having a quick casual play I'll use the Neo CD pad. I never use the bean controller though, I can't stand that thing.

daskrabs

Ace Ghost Pilot
10 Year Member
AES old style with black Sanwa LB-30 30mm balltop (not 35mm), GOTW, and black Sanwa 24mm buttons. Super comfortable and looks rad. Else, Hori Neo stick.

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Not sure why everyone feels that the original stick needs to be modded. I've never tried it though, so I don't know. I feel like some people can never leave well enough alone.

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
Not sure why people who haven't modded an original stick comment about modded sticks.

123►Genei-Jin

Overtop Pathfinder
Not sure why everyone feels that the original stick needs to be modded. I've never tried it though, so I don't know. I feel like some people can never leave well enough alone.

Well, some people may just like Sanwa or Seimitsu parts from other joysticks they own for other systems and mod their AES sticks to get a similar experience.
I personally own a ton of sticks for other consoles and always try to get similar parts across all of them.

Larrs888

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
For some reason special moves don't come out for me when using the Hori. I only use the Hori for non-fighters, and stick with the standard AES stick otherwise. It's just what I was trained on.

I’ve gone with a 2lb spring and an Octogate with mine and it seems ok, but I think the timing is a little different from say modern fighters I play on PS4 so I do need to adjust when I swap to the Neo. If you have not modded the stick I recommend it. It took a while to adjust to the new spring but I much prefer it now.

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
I prefer stock AES sticks. But I did make a few of these back when I was using a CMVS - they were pretty damn close to AES sticks in size. I forget where I got the enclosures from.

0EACC249-F0DE-4DFC-8755-E778CEDDD44E_zpszqtyn9nu.jpg64020476-C085-4A07-A563-600802ED6BC0_zpsbhxmtxav.jpg

Finch

Hardened Shock Trooper
10 Year Member

gray117

Crazed MVS Addict
15 Year Member
Not necessarily a stick recommendation but ... You could use an undammned usb decoder with whatever usb stick. I just the use these for all my supergun stuff with the street fighter TE sticks - 'action' (a,b,c,d + 2 x unused aka 123456 buttons) remapping by just unplugging (and holding 3 buttons when plugging back in) a usb extention between decoder and stick is super handy. (Stick, 'action' buttons, coin and start are mapped automatically on power up, can remap just the 'action' buttons by unplugging and plugging in usb whilst holding in 3 'action' buttons).

Default 6 button mapping and what I use for 3 button neo games / general jamma
_1_2_3
4_5_6

aka

_a_b_c
d_x_x

My mapping for neo 4 button games
_2_3_4
1_5_6

aka

_b_c_d
a_x_x

For those that would like alternative layouts for fighters in particular can obviously set those too...

Last edited:

chromesphere

New Challenger
For those that are electronic noobs wiring a controller up for the neo is very easy. Just a bunch of switches. Its actually a great way to build your first controller because the wiring is pretty simple.
This is my controller i finished recently. I perfer it over the stock neo arcade style controller or the kidney bean.

Attachments

• 20180817_225436.jpg
    20180817_225436.jpg
    286.8 KB · Views: 76
  • 20180817_225524.jpg
    20180817_225524.jpg
    204.4 KB · Views: 75

Finch

Hardened Shock Trooper
10 Year Member
For those that are electronic noobs wiring a controller up for the neo is very easy. Just a bunch of switches. Its actually a great way to build your first controller because the wiring is pretty simple.
This is my controller i finished recently. I perfer it over the stock neo arcade style controller or the kidney bean.

That looks awesome dude! nice and clean.

Mai_Lover

Dodgeball Yakuza
Noob question: what pcb do you use for a custom made stick for AES? That's the part that intimidates me.

titchgamer

Guerilla Warrior
Noob question: what pcb do you use for a custom made stick for AES? That's the part that intimidates me.

No PCB required.

Just the switches made off into a DB15 connector.

I built 2 the other week to go with my CMVS and in future a supergun (when I get around to it)

619a170cc5463a5f165630fa55b6d08d.jpg

Neo Alec

20 Year Member
I'd love an Undamned converter if they were ever in stock anymore.

That's a nice 2-slot design. How did you get the image on there?

Neo Alec

20 Year Member
I figured. I like anything that mimics the original AES design.

titchgamer

Guerilla Warrior
I figured. I like anything that mimics the original AES design.

Yeah it does look nice tbf. I brought it online as I was to lazy and crap at soldering to bother building my own but I actually ordered a 1 slot version. But due to some shipping errors and a delay the seller gave me a free upgrade to the 2 slot version with a unibios so all is well in the world.

I just had to make and fit a base plate to it as originally it just sat on PCB feet so I made a proper polycarb base for it.

Mai_Lover

Dodgeball Yakuza
No PCB required.

Just the switches made off into a DB15 connector.

I built 2 the other week to go with my CMVS and in future a supergun (when I get around to it)

Thanks! Perhaps my next project then.....
Cheers

Massive Urethra Chode

Disciple Of Orochi
You are not the only one but definitely in the minority. What's wrong with the original?

At least on mine, i thought the stick felt a bit weak in comparison, like it didnt click as satisfyingly. Also I don’t really care for the steep angle of the buttons on the original controller.