Favorite AES/CMVS stick?

Probably gonna grab a JNX CMVS, but up in the air about what stick is the most arcade-true with the best feel/response. What's the stick you feel like you can rest your hands on/have sitting in your lap all day?

Do you prefer old style, kidney bean, modded Hori? Sanwa or Seimitsu buttons/stick/balltop? All I know is I want one with different colored buttons, that's all I got :A::B::C::D::D

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Old style or a real arcade stick for a PS2, PS3 or PS4 with an adapter.

-SD-

Camel Slug
HRAP4 Kai with a Brook Super Converter jobbie...

Stick is modded with chrome Sanwa buttons and balltop.

Last edited:

capnd77

Marked Wolf
The original controllers are so pricey at this point, it almost makes more sense to grab a Brook Super Converter or another converter and using a nice Hori stick. I personally use the Brook with a Vewlix..

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
Probably gonna grab a JNX CMVS, but up in the air about what stick is the most arcade-true with the best feel/response. What's the stick you feel like you can rest your hands on/have sitting in your lap all day?

Do you prefer old style, kidney bean, modded Hori? Sanwa or Seimitsu buttons/stick/balltop? All I know is I want one with different colored buttons, that's all I got :A::B::C::D::D
I think the old style AES stick is best, but modified to add Sanwa stick and Sanwa buttons (four different colors, just like the arcade MVS- red, yellow, green, blue, so it's easier to see which ones you're pressing).

But there might be other options, that don't mean you have to mod original equipment. Sticks that have a big and heavy base, like the Hori Real Arcade pro, are even better than a lightweight stick like the AES old stick, but I don't know if any of them can be used with an AES or CMVS. There was a website that sold MVS-style arcade controllers for the AES/CMVS, but I don't remember their name. But, obviously, if you are serious about playing arcade games, the best option of all is to play on a cab. That's the most true to arcade experience, and you are standing up (if it's a tall stand-up cabinet)- which will make you play with better skill and alertness.

Last edited:
Old style or a real arcade stick for a PS2, PS3 or PS4 with an adapter.

Gotcha, is there any lag on the adaptor? Is the Hori RAP4 the best in your opinion?

I use a modded Hori.

Leaning most towards that

God that's gorgeous and WAY too expensive lmao. Does it come most in handy just for fighting games, since that's how it's marketed, or is it just as effective for beat em ups, shooters, etc?

HRAP4 Kai with a Brook Super Converter jobbie...

Stick is modded with chrome Sanwa buttons and balltop.

This the one you were talking about?
https://arcadeshock.com/products/brook-ps4-ps3-to-neo-geo-super-converter-usb-to-db15

The original controllers are so pricey at this point, it almost makes more sense to grab a Brook Super Converter or another converter and using a nice Hori stick. I personally use the Brook with a Vewlix..

How much was the Vewlix? You planning on modding it, or are the buttons/stick good as is?

I think the old style AES stick is best, but modified to add Sanwa stick and Sanwa buttons (four different colors, just like the arcade MVS- red, yellow, green, blue, so it's easier to see which ones you're pressing).

But there might be other options, that don't mean you have to mod original equipment. Sticks that have a big and heavy base, like the Hori Real Arcade pro, are even better than a lightweight stick like the AES old stick, but I don't know if any of them can be used with an AES or CMVS. There was a website that sold MVS-style arcade controllers for the AES/CMVS, but I don't remember their name. But, obviously, if you are serious about playing arcade games, the best option of all is to play on a cab. That's the most true to arcade experience, and you are standing up (if it's a tall stand-up cabinet)- which will make you play with better skill and alertness.

Lemme know if you find out the website name. Still holding out for the modded sticks at JNX to be back on the market, as well. And yeahh, a cab is just too heavy and takes up too much space for me. Maybe one day I'll just put the stick on a standing desk lol

Mai_Lover

Dodgeball Yakuza
Can the Brook converter be used with a generic USB PC stick as well? On the website there is a chart that shows button mapping for PC (X-Input) whatever that means.

keymapNEOGEO.jpg

Neo Alec

20 Year Member
Gotcha, is there any lag on the adaptor? Is the Hori RAP4 the best in your opinion?
No lag.

HRAP is good. I use a Razer Atrox which is more reasonably priced and I think is pretty good.

ChuChu Flamingo

We have purposely, trained him wrong, ...as a joke
10 Year Member
On my AESHOLE I use these two, usually the right stick.

PO2lyFrl.jpg

ABC on top row, D on bottom is my preferred setup likely in part due to my candy cabinet having the same setup.

.Sanwa joystick and seimitsu buttons on the custom one.

Last edited:

Finch

Hardened Shock Trooper
10 Year Member
CUSTOM! Honestly, if the stick is for a CMVS only, making a custom Joystick is the easiest damn thing ever. You essentially can't screw it up, and if you do, the worst that happens is a button doesn't do what you thought it would, in which case you just swap wires until you get it right.

You need to buy:
1x Joystick. I love Sanwa, but you can get a Happ/Seimitsu or any brand you want.
6x buttons. Get them in any color size and shape or brand, I bought Sanwa OBSF30's
1x DB-15 serial port.
12x Crimp on quick disconnects for wires
Some wire, easier if you have a ton of colors, but not required. MAKE SURE to have one that stands out from the rest for your ground wire.
5x Crimp connectors if you got a Sanwa stick, you can't use quick disconnects with them.
An enclosure, It can literally be anything big enough to be a joystick. I used Hammond Mfg #1456PH1WHCWW https://www.hammfg.com/electronics/small-case/general-purpose/1456cww
30mm Hole Saw
15pin serial extension cable JNX sells them I think, you can find them on ebay and amazon too

www.focusattack.com sells all the parts you might need except maybe DB-15 port which you can get from digikey.com.

You'll need to know how to wire up an arcade stick (plenty of guides out there, it's really easy) and if you feel so inclined, decorate it a bit.

These are mine, I essentially did what I just described, I'm an electronics noob.
oIU0S0o.png
Technically mine are also USB for use on PS3 and Windows/RasberryPi hence the additional 4 grey buttons (they aren't hooked up for NeoGeo), but that hardly made it more complicated. If it for NeoGeo only it's about the easiest project ever with awesome results.

Last edited:

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
Why did you make an 8 button stick for a CMVS?

Finch

Hardened Shock Trooper
10 Year Member
Why did you make an 8 button stick for a CMVS?

Read the last bit. The extra 4 buttons aren’t hooked up for the CMVS. Those are there for the USB connection in case I want to use it on ps3, windows, raspberrypi or anything else that works with USB controllers. All 8 buttons work through USB so you can have pretty much any standard fighting game button layout. If you hook it up using Standard Neo Geo controller cables only the joystick, start/select and the 4 neo colored buttons work. I didn’t really specifically make sticks for my CMVS, I made sticks that also work on NeoGeo mvs or AES natively. Plus I like the NeoGeo control panel aesthetic so I decorated them as such.

123►Genei-Jin

Overtop Pathfinder
What genre do you play the most? For fighting games I personally just use a stock Hori. For all other genres the Hori stick is also great but I don't mind using the stock AES stick either.
Of course modding it would make it even better but as long as you're a decent player with good execution the stock parts are already good enough.

The good thing about going for the PS adapter is you'll have much more options at your disposal.

gamelife00

Rugal's Thug
the standard AES stick is my fav, tight responsive stick (but with a Sanwa ball top of course). I love the buttons too, have that sound and feel like no other

NERDtendo

SouthTown StreetSweeper
10 Year Member
I also use the Brooks PS3/PS4 to NEO GEO adapter. Good stuff.

Larrs888

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
Like the above poster, since firmware 1.1 the brook PS4 adapter has been excellent and I use my modded Hori RAP4 with it. I did want to get an official stick to go with my Omega but just preferred a new stick over one that is 25 years old to hammer away at.

Neo Alec

20 Year Member
123►Genei-Jin;4304075 said:
What genre do you play the most? For fighting games I personally just use a stock Hori. For all other genres the Hori stick is also great but I don't mind using the stock AES stick either.
Of course modding it would make it even better but as long as you're a decent player with good execution the stock parts are already good enough.

The good thing about going for the PS adapter is you'll have much more options at your disposal.
For some reason special moves don't come out for me when using the Hori. I only use the Hori for non-fighters, and stick with the standard AES stick otherwise. It's just what I was trained on.