Lets Talk About Playstation 2

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
Deus Ex is one of my fave FPS games :D never played it on PS2 though.

It’s a decent port for the hardware. Limb damage is gone, some new corroding and loading times added to split the levels up into the PS2’s 32mb of Ram, but otherwise a decent port. Character models are generally more detailed on PS2 but textures are worse than the highest PC setting, some geography is changed to keep the frame rate smooth. It was a good option to play the game on a controller, but maybe there are PC mods now that let you play with a controller just as easy.

Last edited:

titchgamer

Guerilla Warrior
Yeah I would guess so, But tbh I liked playing it with a Mouse and KB.

It was such a amazing game for the time, Between that and Half Life they really raised the bar for FPS games.
Shame its not dropped again.....

cat

It's Time Us Welsh, Stood on our own 2 feet, WEL_S
I didn't have a decent pc back then so deus ex and half life on the ps2 were my only way of playing these games, serious sam was a blast back in the day as well.

titchgamer

Guerilla Warrior
I didn't have a decent pc back then so deus ex and half life on the ps2 were my only way of playing these games, serious sam was a blast back in the day as well.

Yeah Serious Sam was a great game. I no longer have a gaming PC due to room constraints but I do still have my original PS2 :D

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
The full fat Serious Sam could be only be found on Xbox and PC. ‘The Next Encounter’ was made for PS2 and GameCube and is a separate game - but still fun mind you.

I see Balder’s Gate Dark Alliance in Cat’s pics. I have many happy memories of playing that game co-op with my flatmate. I don’t really remember the plot other than the barmaid had massive tits.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
Did anyone get the Linux dev kit back in the day? I really wanted one just for the heck of it, but it was super expensive. I found a second hand one at a local shop, but they were charging more than retail (like most of their inventory - for example, they had Final Fight Guy for like $500).

SpamYouToDeath

I asked for a, Custom Rank and, Learned My Lesson.
15 Year Member
Did anyone get the Linux dev kit back in the day? I really wanted one just for the heck of it, but it was super expensive. I found a second hand one at a local shop, but they were charging more than retail (like most of their inventory - for example, they had Final Fight Guy for like $500).
My father bought me a Linux Kit for my birthday. I think it was something like $200, special-order on the Sony web site. Supposedly they only sold a few thousand in North America. Of course, over time, my brothers borrowed and lost the different peripherals (PS2-branded USB keyboard/mouse, network adapter, VGA dongle). I still have the discs though, and it still works on a fat PS2 with an IDE hard drive.

Spoiler:

image.jpg

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
My father bought me a Linux Kit for my birthday. I think it was something like $200, special-order on the Sony web site. Supposedly they only sold a few thousand in North America. Of course, over time, my brothers borrowed and lost the different peripherals (PS2-branded USB keyboard/mouse, network adapter, VGA dongle). I still have the discs though, and it still works on a fat PS2 with an IDE hard drive.

Damn, that's awesome. I didn't know the kits were only $200. That store I mentioned had their kit for like $800 or something.

cat

It's Time Us Welsh, Stood on our own 2 feet, WEL_S
The full fat Serious Sam could be only be found on Xbox and PC. ‘The Next Encounter’ was made for PS2 and GameCube and is a separate game - but still fun mind you.

I see Balder’s Gate Dark Alliance in Cat’s pics. I have many happy memories of playing that game co-op with my flatmate. I don’t really remember the plot other than the barmaid had massive tits.

I got the xbox version of serious sam as well, i like the two of them TBH.
Dark alliance is a great game, never played the follow up though.
I'm disappointed though guy's, am i the only one who loved fantavision, chaining up fireworks and filling the screen with explosions was magical, almost like playing a cave shooter in reverse lol.

Last edited:

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
I got the xbox version of serious sam as well, i like the two of them TBH.
Dark alliance is a great game, never played the follow up though.
I'm disappointed though guy's, am i the only one who loved fantavision, chaining up fireworks and filling the screen with explosions was magical, almost like playing a cave shooter in reverse lol.

Nope I liked Fantavision, just I knew someone that was a god at it next to me... kinda put me off playing