Nintendo are banning Switch carts individually to combat piracy

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
I can see this being a shit storm with bogus complaints on eBay about second hand games that the buyer claims didn't work.

titchgamer

Guerilla Warrior
I have no sympathy for the hackers but it will cause big issues for the 2nd hand market!

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
How widespread is this? Why dump a game multiple times? Do it once, upload teh ROMz and only one cart is banned.

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
How widespread is this? Why dump a game multiple times? Do it once, upload teh ROMz and only one cart is banned.

Don't forget to dump the ROMz onto whatever shitstick website amiga1200 runs on the off chance he gets imprisoned for it someday.

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
Don't forget to dump the ROMz onto whatever shitstick website amiga1200 runs on the off chance he gets imprisoned for it someday.

He doesn't run that site. He's not even a mod.

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
the comment section is like the biggest autistic headache i have ever seen

i understand less after reading the comments

Viewpoint

Art of Typing Wiz, , ,
20 Year Member
the comment section is like the biggest autistic headache i have ever seen

i understand less after reading the comments

Generally if you "Back Up" a Switch cart and try to run it on your system and go online with the Switch, Nintendo can tell you did that and hammer you for it. From what I read about this yesterday is each Switch cart has an "ID" of sorts for each and every copy so they can easily find out if you're pirating your carts.

Long story short, hackers be hacking and I'm sure some of them don't give two shits about fucking around with the system. The thing is I can see why Nintendo is doing it because with games like Mario Kart 8, Splatoon 2 and whatever else games they have online, it would be a serious problem if a bunch of weeaboo faggots came online into matches and cheated from here to hell.

Spycee

Cheng's Errand Boy
Be a man and buy your own games. (Of course not you wyo but the cheap little boys that whine about that).

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
When the new revision of the switch comes out, I'm going to jailbreak my old one and download every game, cause fuck nintendo.

SpamYouToDeath

I asked for a, Custom Rank and, Learned My Lesson.
15 Year Member
It was only a matter of time before each cartridge came out of the factory actually watermarked. They already use Macronix parts which are programmed on demand rather than being masked out.

Tripredacus

Three 6 Mafia
10 Year Member
This is amazing coming from a company that downloaded pirated ROMs from the internet and then put them up for sale on the Virtual Console.

Lets Gekiga In

Neon Night Rider
20 Year Member
This is amazing coming from a company that downloaded pirated ROMs from the internet and then put them up for sale on the Virtual Console.

Hahahaha. Is that true? Knowing how litigious our society is, I’m surprised I haven’t heard of someone who has taken Nintendo to court.

Tech&Music

Another Striker
It's just typical Nintendo. So worried about piracy, they're willing to go to extreme ends while not actually solving the issue. What will this really solve? Someone will grab a Switch game, maybe even already pre-owned or on sale, dump teh ROMz, sell it on, and the buyer is fucked. The ROM is still dumped, and someone with a hacked Switch is still going to play it. Sure, it won't be a massive problem, given a few guys will dump ROMs, then the rest of the pirate crowd will just get those dumps, but still, it's pretty clear whoever ends up with the cart used for dumping is the real victim here.

I'm fine with companies protecting their IP, but Nintendo always seems to want to shoot themselves in the foot while doing it.

CORY

a.k.a. Mother Teresa
Staff member
Just bring your Switch with you whenever you go to your local video game store and try the carts there before buying them, problem solved.

If you're too lazy to go outside and only buy your games on the internet then Nintendo is right, fuck you.

basic

back to basics
15 Year Member
none of this is really surprising from nintendo, tbh

SpamYouToDeath

I asked for a, Custom Rank and, Learned My Lesson.
15 Year Member
none of this is really surprising from nintendo, tbh

I'm surprised that they care enough to actually take action. Wii and WiiU online were just a nonstop mess of hacked machines and emulators.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
well at least it is just carts and not entire online accounts.
they probably know that would be a shit storm considering there is no way to transfer saves.

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
I’m not a Switch owner, as every game worth playing I have on another format (mainly Wii U) apart from maybe Mario Odyssey.

But, it is tempting to know I could hack the shit out of the Switch and play Skyrim, Zelda, Doom & Mario Kart 8 on the go for no cost. Games I have already bought and paid the developers for, and I’m not bothered about playing $40 per game again to play on another format.

But instead I’ll just wait for the price to drop. I think we will see a Switch 2 or ‘new’ Switch in a couple of years anyway.

Karou

Gandalf Of Gibberish,
10 Year Member
Just bring your Switch with you whenever you go to your local video game store and try the carts there before buying them, problem solved.

If you're too lazy to go outside and only buy your games on the internet then Nintendo is right, fuck you.
wtf? Local store? How segregationalist and classist.:crying:

CORY

a.k.a. Mother Teresa
Staff member
wtf? Local store? How segregationalist and classist.:crying:

I'm an old man, good old video game stores are just like arcades to me. I'm sad every time one of them go bankrupt.