Tesla Cars

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Well first off, I have owned 3 Mercedes and none of them have blown my mind. Mercedes has a good eye for detail, but my experience is that the Mercedes UI has poor ergonomic design.

yes. I have never been a fan of Mercedes interfaces. But I also don't have plastic bits falling off my 12 year old Mercedes.
The giant tablet in the tesla looks goofy to me. Ditto for the tablet like displays in current Mercedes.

It wouldn't stop me from owning a Tesla. Just saying that's not an $85k interior.

Renmauzo

MS Paint Master.
10 Year Member
Once I set up my solar grid for the house, I intend to get a Model 3. Given all the rebates, free electricity to run the car, and that the grid will pay for itself within 2 years, it seems like the most sensible choice (and i do like the look and feel of Tesla vehicles as well).
I very much feel like these accident reports are over blown and given more attention than is warranted. If there were news reports for every car fire and crash due to mechanical failure of gasoline powered vehicles, that's all we'd see on the news feeds every day.

Neo Alec

20 Year Member
Thinking about replacing my Civic Hybrid with a used Leaf. The older model will still get at least 40 miles on one charge. We can keep my wife's Prius for longer range driving.

Spycee

Cheng's Errand Boy
Thinking about replacing my Civic Hybrid with a used Leaf. The older model will still get at least 40 miles on one charge. We can keep my wife's Prius for longer range driving.
I have a 2015 Leaf and I can still get a good 80 miles per charge on a normal day. Winter may be another story though, depending where you live.

Lets Gekiga In

Neon Night Rider
20 Year Member
Once I set up my solar grid for the house, I intend to get a Model 3. Given all the rebates, free electricity to run the car, and that the grid will pay for itself within 2 years, it seems like the most sensible choice (and i do like the look and feel of Tesla vehicles as well).
I very much feel like these accident reports are over blown and given more attention than is warranted. If there were news reports for every car fire and crash due to mechanical failure of gasoline powered vehicles, that's all we'd see on the news feeds every day.
I wonder if the batteries just get too hot in places like California. I would bet it wouldn’t be nearly as big of an issue in northern USA and Canada.

kitkit.com

Ace Ghost Pilot
15 Year Member
Have you thought of getting the first generation Volt? You can go about 32 miles on electricity and have the gas tank for back up. A used Leaf is a hit or miss.

I own 2 electric cars (not Tesla, not Leaf) at the moment and could not be happier.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
I'm all for getting off gasoline combustion engines. I would love to get an electric vehicle. However, I have heard (no proof), that for the extra money a Tesla costs, it would take like 25 years of not buying gas, to make up for the extra you would spend on one.

There's also not many recharge stations.

What if I wanted to take a road trip? Last thing I want is to get stuck in the middle of nowhere with no recharge station anywhere in the general vicinity. I guess there are batteries you can take with you. I would assume these are huge, and a PITA to cart around in your vehicle. Again, no facts on this.

How long do these things take to charge? Or do you switch out batteries at a station?

Lets Gekiga In

Neon Night Rider
20 Year Member
I'm all for getting off gasoline combustion engines. I would love to get an electric vehicle. However, I have heard (no proof), that for the extra money a Tesla costs, it would take like 25 years of not buying gas, to make up for the extra you would spend on one.

There's also not many recharge stations.

What if I wanted to take a road trip? Last thing I want is to get stuck in the middle of nowhere with no recharge station anywhere in the general vicinity. I guess there are batteries you can take with you. I would assume these are huge, and a PITA to cart around in your vehicle. Again, no facts on this.

How long do these things take to charge? Or do you switch out batteries at a station?
If I only had an electric car, I’d probably just rent a car if I were to go on a road trip. But then again, I don’t normally go on road trips.

Neo Alec

20 Year Member
Have you thought of getting the first generation Volt? You can go about 32 miles on electricity and have the gas tank for back up. A used Leaf is a hit or miss.

I own 2 electric cars (not Tesla, not Leaf) at the moment and could not be happier.
Yeah, I would like a Volt too. Although I kind of decided I'd like to save the money and forego an internal combustion engine altogether.

greedostick, I don't think electric cars are very well suited to road trips. Although the Volt could work, especially if you plan hotels where you can charge. 8-Bit Guy on Youtube did a decent road trip video on his Volt.

I also reccomend Technology Connections on Youtube for this, and in general.

Spycee

Cheng's Errand Boy
An electric car is perfect as a second car for a couple, that's the best I can describe it. You use it for the day to day, and for long distance you use the other car. We're still not at a point where a single electric car can do everything at a reasonable cost.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
yes. I have never been a fan of Mercedes interfaces. But I also don't have plastic bits falling off my 12 year old Mercedes.
The giant tablet in the tesla looks goofy to me. Ditto for the tablet like displays in current Mercedes.

It wouldn't stop me from owning a Tesla. Just saying that's not an $85k interior.

Pros: a lot of space; tablet is pretty intuitive; car can have a firmware update to offer more options
Cons: doesn’t feel like full grain leather; the tablet to control internals is not analog

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
An electric car is perfect as a second car for a couple, that's the best I can describe it. You use it for the day to day, and for long distance you use the other car. We're still not at a point where a single electric car can do everything at a reasonable cost.

That's pretty much how I feel about my robot vacuum cleaner