Tesla Cars

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
I've just seen another news report about a problem with a Tesla car:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-44511200

I think Tesla are going to fail, and I think it's a bad thing. The media are putting them under intense scrutiny, picking out every crash, tyre blowout, you name it and insinuating that Tesla cars are somehow more dangerous than your average mile muncher. It reminds me a lot of the way they paw over any accident relating to ecigarettes. Somebody, somewhere, doesn't like the changes these products promise to bring about.

Or do we just like to read about the failure of upstarts?

P.s. I'm not saying these news reports will bring Tesla down, that's going to be their awful production rates and eye watering debts, but it can't help.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Powering electric cars with batteries is a transitional technology for me, fuel cells and hydrogen is the future.

I have nothing against Tesla, even though their prices are kinda silly.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
I've just seen another news report about a problem with a Tesla car:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-44511200

I think Tesla are going to fail, and I think it's a bad thing. The media are putting them under intense scrutiny, picking out every crash, tyre blowout, you name it and insinuating that Tesla cars are somehow more dangerous than your average mile muncher. It reminds me a lot of the way they paw over any accident relating to ecigarettes. Somebody, somewhere, doesn't like the changes these products promise to bring about.

Or do we just like to read about the failure of upstarts?

P.s. I'm not saying these news reports will bring Tesla down, that's going to be their awful production rates and eye watering debts, but it can't help.

LOL...

No.

StevenK

10 Year Member
Powering electric cars with batteries is a transitional technology for me, fuel cells and hydrogen is the future.

I have nothing against Tesla, even though their prices are kinda silly.

When it comes to technology, the best choice often loses out to the best marketed. Somehow battery power has done well at being adopted and the infrastructure is falling into place - I can't see the big manufacturers turning their backs on it any time soon.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Everyone still wants electric to fail. Big Oil, Big Auto, and the government. It's going to be up to consumers to really make the electric push.

Tesla's are nice cars, but their interior feels very Walmart. It wouldn't stop me from owning one if I had a desk job though.

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
Tesla is Elon Musk's vanity project run amok.

I just can't get over how many idiots he pursuaded to invest in the firm... now it's hemorrhaging cash like its going out of fashion they must all be bricking it. I bet old Elon don't stand to lose too much other than a dent in his pride.

StevenK

10 Year Member
Everyone still wants electric to fail. Big Oil, Big Auto, and the government. It's going to be up to consumers to really make the electric push.

Tesla's are nice cars, but their interior feels very Walmart. It wouldn't stop me from owning one if I had a desk job though.

Big oil I can see, but I think big auto is invested now. Besides, every year emissions restrictions get more and more stringent and they're getting sick of having to work out ways around them. DPF's, ERG valves etc etc turn the engines into soot factories, we're reaching the point where it's becoming easier to change to electric than to stay on with petrol and diesel.

Last edited:

Tung Fu ru

Actual Musician,
20 Year Member
I think that's the first I've heard of a Tesla spontaneously coming aflame. However, it seems around here there have been a few accidents with Tesla cars. Many of the times when these cars get in accidents, there is a big fire that firefighters have a VERY hard time putting out. Also, after the wreck is taken from the scene, the car is liable to start on fire again in the next 48 hours or so... I think Tesla might have a few bugs or at least safety concerns they need to deal with to move forward.

StevenK

10 Year Member
I think that's the first I've heard of a Tesla spontaneously coming aflame. However, it seems around here there have been a few accidents with Tesla cars. Many of the times when these cars get in accidents, there is a big fire that firefighters have a VERY hard time putting out. Also, after the wreck is taken from the scene, the car is liable to start on fire again in the next 48 hours or so... I think Tesla might have a few bugs or at least safety concerns they need to deal with to move forward.

I guess my initial question was is what you've said true, or is it just the impression we're being given?

Tung Fu ru

Actual Musician,
20 Year Member
I guess my initial question was is what you've said true, or is it just the impression we're being given?

In the last six months or so there have been a few news stories about fires resulting after a crash (I live in the San Francisco Bay Area (lots of Teslas here)) and firemen are not really sure how to handle the situation (I guess electrical fires are a bit tricky).... Tesla also is not sure how to handle these situations/crashes... I would think that Tesla will eventually think of a solution, but kinda dumb to not figure that out before hand.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Well, you can take it straight from the horse's mouth, in 2013: https://www.tesla.com/blog/model-s-fire

"The nationwide driving statistics make this very clear: there are 150,000 car fires per year according to the National Fire Protection Association, and Americans drive about 3 trillion miles per year according to the Department of Transportation. That equates to 1 vehicle fire for every 20 million miles driven, compared to 1 fire in over 100 million miles for Tesla. This means you are 5 times more likely to experience a fire in a conventional gasoline car than a Tesla!"

Considering that was a few years ago and Teslas are still in the news for fires - but then that goes to your original point that what if Tesla is getting unfairly shafted by the media for its car fires.

Regardless I think, compared to other cars or not, it is clear that Teslas catching on fire is not a one time freak accident. I can assume the engineers are trying to figure out the problem with the battery and it getting caught on fire and how to prevent that.

As for Tesla failing? Last I heard, Tesla will be opening a factory near Shanghai in 2020 or 2021. Chinese have money to burn and love foreign cars (they saved Buick from going bankrupt during the financial crisis); the more prestigious and expensive the car, the better. There's a Tesla store in a nearby shopping mall, always a bunch of rich folks in there looking around. If sales dip elsewhere, Elon can count on the Chinese to buy his burning cars.

and here's a reminder that this happened, coolest news of 2018:

Tesla-Roadster-Space-3-1024x578.png

StevenK

10 Year Member
Well, you can take it straight from the horse's mouth, in 2013: https://www.tesla.com/blog/model-s-fire

"The nationwide driving statistics make this very clear: there are 150,000 car fires per year according to the National Fire Protection Association, and Americans drive about 3 trillion miles per year according to the Department of Transportation. That equates to 1 vehicle fire for every 20 million miles driven, compared to 1 fire in over 100 million miles for Tesla. This means you are 5 times more likely to experience a fire in a conventional gasoline car than a Tesla!"

When he said that I wonder what the average age of a Tesla car on the road was. 2 years? 3? I wonder what the average age of all cars on the road is in the US. Assuming that cars are more likely to catch fire as they get older (failing electrics) I'm not convinced by his explanation.

Lies damn lies and statistics.

SpamYouToDeath

I asked for a, Custom Rank and, Learned My Lesson.
15 Year Member
Tesla is clickbait for nerds. Of course trashy news sites are going to be all over Tesla accidents.

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
to be fair, the amount of energy stored in those batteries is far more energy than a tank of gasoline. If it's all released suddenly, you have a rather massive bomb.

Anything that applies to Tesla batteries also applies to that device in your pocket. Sure, phones do explode, but they have yet to release that energy in a catastrophic manner. The exploding phones you see on youtube are no where near the total energy output stored in those batteries.

neojedi

Member,
20 Year Member
I like Tesla's philosophy and I think their problems are overblown while traditional car problems are ignored because they are no longer news, but I'm not a fan of the Model 3's interior and in particular having everything on the center console. I have no problem switching from gas to electric if the performance is in the same ballpark, but I'd be looking at what Volvo comes up with in 2019 as well as new models from Chevy/Toyota/etc.

Lastblade

Friend me on Facebook!,
20 Year Member
Take away government subsidies and Tesla is dead in the water. To me, this brand was never viable but media and sheeps love them.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member

Considering that was a few years ago and Teslas are still in the news for fires - but then that goes to your original point that what if Tesla is getting unfairly shafted by the media for its car fires.

Regardless I think, compared to other cars or not, it is clear that Teslas catching on fire is not a one time freak accident. I can assume the engineers are trying to figure out the problem with the battery and it getting caught on fire and how to prevent that.

As for Tesla failing? Last I heard, Tesla will be opening a factory near Shanghai in 2020 or 2021. Chinese have money to burn and love foreign cars (they saved Buick from going bankrupt during the financial crisis); the more prestigious and expensive the car, the better. There's a Tesla store in a nearby shopping mall, always a bunch of rich folks in there looking around. If sales dip elsewhere, Elon can count on the Chinese to buy his burning cars.

and here's a reminder that this happened, coolest news of 2018:

Tesla-Roadster-Space-3-1024x578.png

Launching that into space on top of a rocket has got to be the coolest thing. Next I hope he launches a truck or something just for shits and giggles!

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member

driven all the Tesla models and I do not think their interior is cheap. Love the space they offer me. I am a big guy. I am getting bigger every year. Tesla doesn't cramp me up.

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
driven all the Tesla models and I do not think their interior is cheap. Love the space they offer me. I am a big guy. I am getting bigger every year. Tesla doesn't cramp me up.

is it as nice and solid as a Mercedes? BMW? Lexus?
I guess I would compare it to the fanciest of GM interiors.

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
I knew this thread would be filled with haters.

ForeverSublime

6400|!!|Kyo Clone
20 Year Member

Shit, and houses drive 0 miles*. That means all of our houses are going to catch fire.

*Except in Florida, but those house fires result in more deaths as the home owners try to drive away from the fire.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
is it as nice and solid as a Mercedes? BMW? Lexus?
I guess I would compare it to the fanciest of GM interiors.

Well first off, I have owned 3 Mercedes and none of them have blown my mind. Mercedes has a good eye for detail, but my experience is that the Mercedes UI has poor ergonomic design.