A new light gun?

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Just FYI, the Wii doesn't use motion controls for light gun games. It uses the IR pointer.

SuperGun

Proto Hunter
20 Year Member
In addition to Beast Busters, SNK also had Mechanized Attack; and yes, both were pre neogeo, but neither were light gun games. (nor was Hyper Neogeo 64 Beast Busters Second Nightmare). Yes, all 3 of those arcade games used guns as the controls, but they were potentiometer based & driven. No light sensors whatsoever. (although the home translation/port of Mechanized Attack for the NES was modified to use the NES light gun.

Also, in early 2000, when we first heard about Bang Bead, the initial article incorrectly reported the name of the game as Bang Head, and the rumors were that it was a gun game. But alas that was not the case. So yes, as Tarma said, none of this is neogeo related, and this thread needs to move.

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
Well, this thread is about a light gun for Windows, which is made by Microsoft. Microsoft is the same company that created the mini marquee artwork for Ghostlop. So technically the thread is the most neo related thing posted in awhile.

CORY

a.k.a. Mother Teresa
Staff member
Well, this thread is about a light gun for Windows, which is made by Microsoft. Microsoft is the same company that created the mini marquee artwork for Ghostlop. So technically the thread is the most neo related thing posted in awhile.

zKRvf0q.gif

titchgamer

Guerilla Warrior
Not sure why the thread needs to move when its listed under "General news & Rumors"??
Does not say Neo Geo only News & Rumors.

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
Seems like he's using mouse type tracking, why that would cost 100 pounds is beyond me, seems like he's trying to cash in. No thanks.

the reason it costs that is independent manufacturing is extremely costly.

I did a kickstarter. if i had a huge company behind me, i could have bought in proper bulk, would have been able to reduce costs across the board and prolly cut $75-$100 a pop off my stick. Small run manufacturing is a bitch. Half of the people say "fuck thats too much" and the other half just lol at you. Honestly-300k raising isnt so bad- picture $30-$60k just to get molds made for the gun. plus all the parts. plus the shells actual production. plus software dev. plus packaging (another deceptively expensive bitch). plus marketing- and this kid hasn't even been paid yet. I honestly think 300k is a low number for what he would need to bring a fully realized version of this to market.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Move to Unrelated.

This is a neat idea, but there's not enough trust based on that campaign page.

Wii games are not 1 to 1. They kinda suck compared to a Light Gun. You do point and shoot, but it doesn't shoot where you point with a Wii sensor.

titchgamer

Guerilla Warrior
So bit of a Update.

Hes posted a update video with a explanation of how it works.

My initial instincts appear to be correct in that its a optical based system.

Using a camera to map the screen then further software to determine where the gun is pointing in relation to it.
He also demonstrates a proof of concept idea of strafing either side of trees which could make for some real interesting next gen light gun games!

Pretty cool stuff tbh.

https://youtu.be/grcGpr_8W9Y

jdoll

Kuroko's Training Dummy
Just get a Wii:
The House of the Dead Overkill
The House of the Dead 2 and 3 Return
Ghost Squad
Resident Evil: The Umbrella Chronicles
Resident Evil: The Darkside Chronicles
Gunblade New York and LA Machine Guns
Dead Space: Extraction

All you need is the stock controller, or one of those Nyko gun peripherals if you want.

wii light gun was fun for sure but we need more this gen for sure

titchgamer

Guerilla Warrior
Rise from your grave dead thread!!

So this project has come along way since last year and the guy has just launched a new KS which is nearly funded already in 24 hours.
Anywho I actually had a chance to play with his prototype a few months ago and it works really well.

Anyways if you are interested here is the KS for it.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/sindenlightgun/the-sinden-lightgun?ref=user_menu

And a independent review from some YT goer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-jbsT8O7PE

c0nn0r

If I could have, My time back, I'd keep it in ma'
10 Year Member
Cool Project. The design of the gun is pretty sexy. Nothing wrong with my CRTs or Justifier, Phaser, Zapper, Stunner, and Glock. I'll stick with those for now.

titchgamer

Guerilla Warrior
Cool Project. The design of the gun is pretty sexy. Nothing wrong with my CRTs or Justifier, Phaser, Zapper, Stunner, and Glock. I'll stick with those for now.

Nothing wrong with mine either.

But thats a 19” CRT I am pretty excited to be able to play newer games on my HDTV.

May have to invest in a new PC to run them though lol

Pinball

Kula's Candy
I clicked the link and got:

"Sinden Lightgun has been hidden for privacy.
This project has been removed from visibility at the request of the creator. It will remain permanently out of view."

Say what now?

Dochartaigh

Edo Express Delivery Guy
Not a single mention of "OSSC" or "upscaler" on the kickstarter page....he's also playing 4:3 games in widescreen... I'll hold judgement but those two things alone are dealbreakers for me.

Doom

Crossed Swords Squire
This is an interesting project. I'm surprised he made that amount though. I mean in the old days a light gun used to cost like 20 bucks. I understand the technology here is complex, and he's not going to be manufacturing on a large scale, but it's still rather expensive.

titchgamer

Guerilla Warrior
This is an interesting project. I'm surprised he made that amount though. I mean in the old days a light gun used to cost like 20 bucks. I understand the technology here is complex, and he's not going to be manufacturing on a large scale, but it's still rather expensive.

Not really, If you look at the other modern lightguns like the aim traks they are comparable price wise.

These are by far the best modern gun I have had the chance to use though.

Doom

Crossed Swords Squire
Not really, If you look at the other modern lightguns like the aim traks they are comparable price wise.

These are by far the best modern gun I have had the chance to use though.

Good point. I forgot about the Aimtrack.