Best CMVS option?

Finch

Hardened Shock Trooper
10 Year Member
Building a CMVS yourself is probably the best option, but if you feel like that is a bit over your head, I would highly recommend JNX. If it wasn't for his help and tutorials I wouldn't have ever been able to build such a nice system myself.

Also, It's really much easier than you think. The wiring and tech work required to get a 1-slot up and running as a CMVS is almost trivial, you could do it in a day. You will want a decent soldering iron, ideally at least something like https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000B5YIYS but otherwise it's just sourcing some pretty common parts and buying a video encoder if you need one. The hardest part is putting it in an enclosure and having it look nice....and in my case, cutting those damn controller ports in a way that they don't look janky and awful. If you build it yourself you know exactly how everything was done and it means it's a lot easier to repair if something fails, or if you feel more accomplished later, it's easy to put it in a better case. I pretty much never completed a legitimate electronics project before making a CMVS, just read lots of guides and you can figure it out pretty well.

Finch

Hardened Shock Trooper
10 Year Member
Do you personally own this one? I wouldn’t buy this without knowing someone who really liked it and uses it a lot. That’s a stupidly cheap price for what would be $400 or more from a reputable brand. This screams burn-your-house-down Chinese knockoff pretty loudly.

beigemore

Camel Slug
10 Year Member
Yes I own one. It’s made in China and badged as “MarkEthan”. The build quality is extremely solid. The digital temp gauge is live and the hot air gun cools down when you place it in the holder. It’s been a much better investment than any of my other cheaper irons have been. I’ve probably got about 50-60 hours on it so far. The picture they use on the auction does not look as solid as the unit actually is. I was honestly surprised.

Finch

Hardened Shock Trooper
10 Year Member
Yes I own one. It’s made in China and badged as “MarkEthan”. The build quality is extremely solid. The digital temp gauge is live and the hot air gun cools down when you place it in the holder. It’s been a much better investment than any of my other cheaper irons have been. I’ve probably got about 50-60 hours on it so far. The picture they use on the auction does not look as solid as the unit actually is. I was honestly surprised.

That's good to know, LOL I noticed that about the mismatched picture. It's a good deal for sure, and those heat guns are great for SMD stuff. I use the one in my office all the time, removes MV-1C bios chips like butter.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
My favorite soldering station is still my Xytronic LF-7000, I wish I still had it. Sold it then went Hakko, in case people didn't know Hakko stuff is made in China now but assembled in Japan. lol

Finch

Hardened Shock Trooper
10 Year Member
At work (where I try to as much of my soldering work as possible) we have a Weller WD1M which I absolutely love, the iron heats up in seconds when you pick it up, is super lightweight and easy to do detail work and the tips just plug in using a headphone jack (what an odd choice) so they are super quick to swap. We also have a Atten 850b heat gun thingy which I'm about to put through it's paces de-soldering the 100pin connectors on a 1Fz, wish me luck.

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
How has nobody mentioned this:
b5ScpcN.png

Finch

Hardened Shock Trooper
10 Year Member
I think my favorite part, not the giant jumble of wires you can see through the cart slot, is the wacky protruding pins for the controllers. What possible advantage does that have, was there not enough room to set them 1/4" deeper into the enclosure, even so, why take off the shield. Are you meant to be able to stab someone with them?

Tech&Music

Another Striker
Yay a neo geo inside a snes! what a great idea...idiot.

He saw the one the guy who makes those abominations made for himself, and decided to solicit him to make one, so The Immortal John Hancock could have a mangled SNES CMVS too. Sure goes to show that The Immortal John Hancock is utterly clueless.

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
My favorite part is the pins for the controller ports sticking out the front.

abathur

Kuroko's Training Dummy
Perfect to stab your eyes to prevent yourself from looking at this abomination.

basic

back to basics
15 Year Member
Yall just don't appreciate the one-of-a-kind nature of this piece.

titchgamer

Guerilla Warrior
Ime not sure whats worse,
That its so shit or that he trashed what was probably a good SNES to do it.

Last edited:

madman

That its so shit or that he trashed what was probably a good SFC to do it.

That's a SNES, not a SFC. But it doesn't have an English spine card on it, so I can understand your confusion.

titchgamer

Guerilla Warrior
That's a SNES, not a SFC. But it doesn't have an English spine card on it, so I can understand your confusion.

Same difference but your technically right so I shall amend :p

Last edited:

madman

That its so shit or that he trashed what was probably a good SNES to do it.

How are you able to determine the probability that it was a working SNES?

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
How are you able to determine the probability that it was a working SNES?

He can figure that out, yet cant figure out what games he displays on a shelf because the spines are written in a different language.

Sounds perfectly logical.