Weekly Roundup 6/10/18

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
Switch
Street Fighter 30th Anniversary Collection
Rayman Legends

3DS
Zero Escape Zero Time Dilemma - not sure how to feel about this, the story presentation is disjointed and almost pretentious, but I love that characters from the previous 2 games are in this.

GameCube
Starfox Assault

Retrofreak
Fire Emblem GBA

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
Xbox:
Mercenaries

PC:
VA-11 HALL-A
Street Fighter 30th

CORY

a.k.a. Mother Teresa
Staff member
SNES

- Lufia Fortress of Doom.

This is my first time with the Lufia series and I like it so far.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
what do you think of it?

I'm not a fan, although the game has some merit. The on-foot missions are not as bad as people say, just cumbersome since the later level layouts are so large that the map cannot accurately depict what is where. The arwing missions are good, the story is nowhere near as memorable as 64. I found that i wanted to clear the game out of obligation rather than because i was invested in the characters, which is not a good sign.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
SATURN

Akumajo Dracula X Gekka No Yasoukyoku
Tenchi Wo Kurau II
Steeldom

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
SNES

- Lufia Fortress of Doom.

This is my first time with the Lufia series and I like it so far.
Definitely play Lufia II: Rise of the Sinistrals, then. Better than the first in every way, and easily my favorite video game ever.

Anyway, I've just been playing Super Smash Bros for 3DS this week

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer
SNES:
Super Castlevania 4 - Just finished it and I got to say that game definitely did not live up to my expectations. Not sure why everybody goes crazy about that one. Probably the worst of the good Castlevania games I played. Probably didnt help that I played it right after Rondo which for me is just under Bloodlines in terms of best OG Castlevania games. Meh...

GENESIS:
Alisia Dragoon - Just finished this one too. It was decent. Seems like itd been a much better game in its time but I wasnt really all that impressed with it.

PS4:
Monster Hunter World

MCF 76

Vice's Love Slave
10 Year Member
Arcade:

Golden Axe RODA
Midnight Resistance
Ikari Warriors
Top Gunner

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
3DS

Shantea and The Pirate's Curse

PS4

Street Fighter 30th Anniversary
Ultra Street Fighter IV
Mega Man Legacy Collection

fake

15 Year Member
GENESIS:
Alisia Dragoon - Just finished this one too. It was decent. Seems like itd been a much better game in its time but I wasnt really all that impressed with it.

I cleared this a few months ago - got very close to a no-miss, too. I loved it. It's a little stiff, but the world is just super cool. The anime studio Gainax worked on the art.

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer
I cleared this a few months ago - got very close to a no-miss, too. I loved it. It's a little stiff, but the world is just super cool. The anime studio Gainax worked on the art.

Yeah I really really liked the art, the music and the overall presentation. The only thing I didnt much care for was the game itself :P

As you said, its pretty stiff. Also the way some enemies and bosses are designed (damage sponges, poor feedback and cheap shots) kind of made me lose interest. Overall a decent enough game and worth the play through.

Also holy shit! You almost got a no-miss? I'm not sure exactly what that means but knowing how frustrating this game can get, it sounds damn impressive.

Last edited:

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
SNES:
Super Castlevania 4 - Just finished it and I got to say that game definitely did not live up to my expectations. Not sure why everybody goes crazy about that one. Probably the worst of the good Castlevania games I played. Probably didnt help that I played it right after Rondo which for me is just under Bloodlines in terms of best OG Castlevania games. Meh...

i urge you to play super castlevania again soon. maybe you think that way because you was expecting a rondo of blood kind of game. just remember it's a remake of the first game. the level design, the atmosphere, the soundtrack, the gameplay and controls, have all these things in mind. i personally think super castlevania is a way better game than rondo.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
i urge you to play super castlevania again soon. maybe you think that way because you was expecting a rondo of blood kind of game. just remember it's a remake of the first game. the level design, the atmosphere, the soundtrack, the gameplay and controls, have all these things in mind. i personally think super castlevania is a way better game than rondo.

Konami does totally nail the atmosphere in Super Castlevania, and the music is some of the best on the SNES. It's just that there are so many time where you are just walking and there's not much happening it all. It's really kinda boring in a lot of spots.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
Yeah I really really liked the art, the music and the overall presentation. The only thing I didnt much care for was the game itself :P

As you said, its pretty stiff. Also the way some enemies and bosses are designed (damage sponges, poor feedback and cheap shots) kind of made me lose interest. Overall a decent enough game and worth the play through.

Also holy shit! You almost got a no-miss? I'm not sure exactly what that means but knowing how frustrating this game can get, it sounds damn impressive.

No miss is no lives lost.

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
I'm back to my old shit, just playing Klondike Solitaire and Freecell on the computer. ;)

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer
No miss is no lives lost.

No miss on this game? I think this game did sort of have a extra life system but you had to find them in the field? You start with zero extra lives and if you die once its game over.

Its not a bad game.

Its kind of sluggish but not in a typical Castlevania way....its something i can't quite put my finger on. Also it has major slowdown issues in parts that have mode 7 rotation and certain graphical elements. Quite a few of the platforming elements are not graphically clear either....until you die. Feels like the gameplay suffered a bit to make the graphics better which is unfortunate.

Like I said, it is still one of the good OG Castlevania games i've played but out of CV1, CV3, Rondo, Bloodlines and Chronicles it is probably my least favorite. I'm sure I will be revisiting it again in the future though.

fake

15 Year Member
No miss on this game? I think this game did sort of have a extra life system but you had to find them in the field? You start with zero extra lives and if you die once its game over.

Yeah, three or so of the boss battles have safe spots or particular things you can do with your pet to kill them pretty quickly. So other than that, it's mostly memorization.

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer
Yeah, three or so of the boss battles have safe spots or particular things you can do with your pet to kill them pretty quickly. So other than that, it's mostly memorization.

oh right on. i did notice some safe spots a couple of times during certain boss battles. Particularly one of the forms of the last boss where he sends out that fire dragon. I noticed its almost impossible to avoid it but if you stand right under him you can.

Kind of makes me want to play some more lol

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
I'm going to play the translated Dragon Force II for the Saturn.

Playing a lot of Saturn games lately, deciding what to keep.

ChuChu Flamingo

We have purposely, trained him wrong, ...as a joke
10 Year Member

Fantastic game, it was a fun no miss for me back when I got it three years ago. If you look at the japanese artwork for the box and manual

latest

it is drawn by Takehiko Ito, aka the guy who did Outlaw Star. One of these days I want to track down a megadrive copy since the artwork is one of my favorites. Until then my US cartoonized copy will have to suffice.

Most people don't like the game because you can't really be aggressive imo like most platformers shooting all the time. You need to be defensively offensive if you get what I mean. This is due to how your attacks need to charge and your pets having recharge time. My only gripe with it is the stiff controls and not being able to control your pets well. I always thought it would be a cool idea if 2player could control them.

I should replay it again.

Last edited:

fake

15 Year Member
Fantastic game, it was a fun no miss for me back when I got it three years ago. If you look at the japanese artwork for the box and manual

latest

it is drawn by Takehiko Ito, aka the guy who did Outlaw Star. One of these days I want to track down a megadrive copy since the artwork is one of my favorites. Until then my US cartoonized copy will have to suffice.

Most people don't like the game because you can't really be aggressive imo like most platformers shooting all the time. You need to be defensively offensive if you get what I mean. This is due to how your attacks need to charge and your pets having recharge time. My only gripe with it is the stiff controls and not being able to control your pets well. I always thought it would be a cool idea if 2player could control them.

I should replay it again.

Ha yeah, I remember you used to have the main character as your avatar. I actually bought a complete copy for Mega Drive years ago for like $60. Times have changed :lolz:.

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
PS4
Pinball Arcade

Imported season 2 recently and downloaded more bally&williams tables.Figure id buy more to play before june 30th get's here.