Tv/Film scenes you hate

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
Could be a specific scene, could be generic. Maybe it's something that's universally lauded but you think it's shit. We probably don't need to hear about scenes that everyone thinks are shit and you agree, that's fucking boring and dumb.

I'm starting off with a generic scene:

Man cooking

This is used countless times in endless films and tv shows - guy who is perhaps a hardass is caught cooking/decides to cook for a girl.

It's the same shit every time, he will invariably be making some kind of shitty tomato sauce, he will probably be wearing an apron of some kind, he will offer the 'surprised to see him cooking' partner in the scene a taste of the sauce, probably off an unnecessarily huge wooden spoon, then start telling us about 'the secret to the sauce' being roasted basil or that his grandma used to piss in it or something fucking gay.

And we're supposed to think he's great now because he loves his nana and can cook something that costs £1 in a jar.

I hate this scene.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
..... then start telling us about 'the secret to the sauce' being roasted basil or that his grandma used to piss in it or something fucking gay.

But that was the secret to my memaw's special sauce!

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
This happens a bunch on every superhero show:

-main character keeps secrets from other characters for no reason
-other characters eventually find out, get pissed at main character
-forced drama between the parties involved until one of them is in danger and then they're all friends again

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member

-forced drama between the parties involved until one of them is in danger and then they're all friends again

Sounds like TWD's entire broadcast history.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
Specifically, I cringe during the fur coat episode of Seinfeld when Jerry says "getting jiggy with it."

Generic:
I hate when someone says something like "That's disingenuous (or whatever big word)" and then another character says "What's disingenuous?" And the first character goes on to explain a story. But then the second person says, "No, I mean, what does the word disingenuous mean?"

Shitty actors playing shitty comic book characters with telekinetic powers. They make this face like they're trying really hard to poop and wave their arms around. Examples would be Jessica Alba as the Fantastic 4 girl and Elizabeth Olsen as Scarlet Witch.

Screaming without words - just making a screaming sound - which is supposed to be a display of pure emotion. Garden State, The Ritual, etc. No one can pull this off and have it not look and sound super corny. The only exception is when it serves an actual purpose, e.g., A Quiet Place.

NeoCverA

RevQuixo. Who He?,
20 Year Member
The Michael bay around the characters camera shit scenes. Has anyone on YouTube put a compilation of all those scenes together? As much as I hate that shit, I’d love to see them all together in one collection.

This shit but I know there’s more
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DPtHPgZmZdA

Last edited:

Igakajook

Armored Scrum Object
I can't stand it when a dorky/nerdy character spontaneously dances, and the dancing IS the joke. The dance is often accompanied by "uh-huh" and "oh yeah" type phrases.

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
This is good stuff and is winding me up just reading about it.

I have a variation on fami's - character has something important to tell another person, cue several scenes of the other person being too busy to listen ("not now, tell me later, I'm beating off the cat"). Finds out later in the wrong way and is pissed with the character who didn't tell them.

This never happens in real life.

I wonder if these things have names in screenwriting circles. "Hey we're a minute short on this episode", "fuck it just throw in a uh huh dance"

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member

This happens in every mainstream sitcom.

CrazyDean

Zero's Secretary
Lens flare. Please remind me that I’m watching this as a recording. You might as well show another camera or boom mic in the shot.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
I really hate it when the camera moves around like its home made bullshit.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
I hate when American sitcoms try to moralize and teach valuable life lessons. This was particularly prevalent in the 80s and 90s and ruined potentially funny shows like The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
I hate when American sitcoms try to moralize and teach valuable life lessons. This was particularly prevalent in the 80s and 90s and ruined potentially funny shows like The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air.

uNuYDYU.gif

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member

Though in Fresh Prince the emotional scenes where raw and worked well within the boundaries of comedy.

I hate the typical situation where the bad guy is about to kill the protagonist and a) just flings him into a wall or b) gives him a little speech, just enough time for the protagonist to somehow get out of the situation. I mean this is a well known cliche but it is still used today, there's no other alternative to said set piece.
The bad guy is thus ultimately fucking lame no matter what his credentials are and turns the whole film into an ordeal.

Last edited:

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
I'm going to make a new sitcom: The French Prince of Bel-Air.

Marek

Banned
I hate all the awkward humor that the humor assassinating cabal responsible for "forgetting sarah marshall" forces on you.

I hate that movie. When Paul Rudd is trying to teach the cuckold how to surf and keeps saying, higher, no lower, no higher, no lower, and nauseum.

I am 32 years old and they consider me a millennial by the numbers. Yet I find their humor to be as much fun as hitting my forehead on a concrete wall with danzig playing loudly in the background.

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
overly self-aware shows made by Seth MacFarlane

nuff said

LadyVamp

Camel Slug
Rape scenes are so uncomfortable.

I forget the name of the movie now (it's been a while since I saw it), but, the rape scene was dragged out so long. Not much in movies makes me feel weird, but, yeah, rape scenes that drag, not a fan.

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
Rape scenes are so uncomfortable.

I forget the name of the movie now (it's been a while since I saw it), but, the rape scene was dragged out so long. Not much in movies makes me feel weird, but, yeah, rape scenes that drag, not a fan.

Same. Although I still see value in rape scenes in cinema despite what lots of people are saying. I don't agree that rape is entertainment but I believe that showing something such as rape is perfectly fine and has communicative, emotional (is that the word...?) power

Is the movie you're talking about called Irreversible? Its like a shitty art movie (with some pretty cool visuals if i'm being honest) and there's a pretty fucked up drawn out rape scene (i think its been called one of the worst/most realistic of brutal ones in a film and I agree) where this dude brutally rapes this girl in a tunnel walkway and you see the whole thing and its just really really fucked. I think the other dimension is that it tends to cause a strange and/or blatant arousal especially with people who have ended up embracing controlled rape scenarios as sexual fantasies as a way to process their feelings and sexual development due to trauma or mental illness . I feel all kinds of uncomfortable when I get turned on by watching scenes like that, but its OK as long as you remind yourself that real rape is neither sexy or OK

CrazyDean

Zero's Secretary
I hate when a movie is categorized as a “comedy” when that was never its intent.

Rotten Tomatoes says that Cool Hand Luke is #20 comedy of all time. Also, Get Out is #1. Stupid.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
I hate all the awkward humor that the humor assassinating cabal responsible for "forgetting sarah marshall" forces on you.

I hate that movie. When Paul Rudd is trying to teach the cuckold how to surf and keeps saying, higher, no lower, no higher, no lower, and nauseum.

I am 32 years old and they consider me a millennial by the numbers. Yet I find their humor to be as much fun as hitting my forehead on a concrete wall with danzig playing loudly in the background.

Forgetting Sarah Marshall predates the term millennial by at least 5 years. FSM came out in 2008, and time magazine ran a story about "millennials" in 2014; before that, the use of the term was more inconsistent than it is today. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Millennials

Labeling everyone who isn't a baby boomer is a millennial? This is silly. When I was a kid I was "generation X" then came generation Y, in the 90s. Now any of those are millennials, yet there is a clear glass ceiling between folks in their 20s and folks in their 40s, so maybe the term is simply the most sloppily contrived attempt at labelling anyone who isn't too fucking old.