STEEP SLOPE SLIDERS

Massive Urethra Chode

Disciple Of Orochi
A snowboarding game developed by CAVE... one of the odd ones out by a company known for almost exclusively producing shmups/bullet hell type games... anyone familiar with it??

For whatever the reason this gets more play from me than pretty much any other game in my Saturn collection... I’ve grown to consider it one of my favorite games of all time :)

Funny thing is I never cared much for other snowboarding games from this generation, like 1080 on N64 for example, or cool boarders.

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
Wrong section, ya deadbeat fagit.

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
As a kid I had a one level demo of this game that came with the official Sega Saturn Magazine UK. Played the shit out of it.

As an adult I now have the full game, and was surprised to find how easy it is to pull off special moves and combos, when compared to 1080 and the early Tony Hawks games.

It’s a great game, but not a classic. The track list is poor, and the only good dude to play as is the fat guy.

Also the music goes from good almost chemical brothers style stuff, to shitty techno for clueless pill heads.

Massive Urethra Chode

Disciple Of Orochi
Anyway this fuckin game rocks... I’ll often turn away from such games like Burning Rangers and Radiant Silvergun and even panzer dragon saga in favor of steep slope... yet few people online ever seem to talk about it alongside other Saturn “big names”.. virtual on, nights into dreams, Virtua Fighter/2/kids or megamix... hell even WINTER HEAT gets/got more exposure I think... and it barely has any snowboarding in it..

I’ll often race against my own ghost, constantly updating it to try to get the fastest time ..

Idk what about this game just tickles me in all the right places... it feels like it has a certain level of simplicity or even “cheapness” that has a “back of an early 2000’s video store on the brink of going out of business” kind of vibe that I love.

Last edited:

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
Anyway this fuckin game rocks... I’ll often turn away from such games like Burning Rangers and Radiant Silvergun and even panzer dragon saga in favor of steep slope... yet few people online ever seem to talk about it alongside other Saturn “big names”.. virtual on, nights into dreams, Virtua Fighter/2/kids or megamix... he’ll even WINTER HEAT gets/got more exposure I think... and it barely has any snowboarding in it..

I’ll often race against my own ghost, constantly updating the ghost... to try to get the fast time ..

Winter Heat > Sleep Slope imo

4 player Winter Heat was a regular fixture alongside Saturn Bomberman when I was at Uni. We got really good at it, smashed all the golds. I’d go into lectures, come home, and some dick had beat the record for one of the events. All I’d do is play the game till the record was mine again. Next day repeat. Excellent stuff.

madman

Idk what about this game just tickles me in all the right places... it feels like it has a certain level of simplicity or even “cheapness” that has a “back of an early 2000’s video store on the brink of going out of business” kind of vibe that I love.
Retro, brah. I bet you have great memories of video stores going out of business from when you were 5 years old.

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
Rot was just saying in chat that Winter Heat is indeed better than SSS. I think this thread needs a poll.

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
Winter Heat > Sleep Slope imo

4 player Winter Heat was a regular fixture alongside Saturn Bomberman when I was at Uni. We got really good at it, smashed all the golds. I’d go into lectures, come home, and some dick had beat the record for one of the events. All I’d do is play the game till the record was mine again. Next day repeat. Excellent stuff.

We did something similar with 1080 snowboarding. It was fun for a while but I got to the point where I'd dread turning it on, knowing that a tenth of a second would have been knocked off and I had at least an hour's worth of play on each course to get the records back.

NeoCverA

RevQuixo. Who He?,
20 Year Member
Thread title reminded me of a picture someone made around here with Bobak sliding on a cawk. Whoever did it was banned - I touched it up to where it didn't look like a cawk, rather a guy with a turban on all fours and bobs was riding him like a horse (I guess). It was rather crude and quick to catch up with the hype of the moment but this thread title brought it all back. Good times.

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
We did something similar with 1080 snowboarding. It was fun for a while but I got to the point where I'd dread turning it on, knowing that a tenth of a second would have been knocked off and I had at least an hour's worth of play on each course to get the records back.

That's exactly the sort of shit I'm talking about. And yeah there was some dread turning the machine on, but if you didn't it was just going to get talked about anyway.

No turbo pads was a rule, but we worked out that you could change a, b, c to speed and then just slide across them left to right super fast using the corner of your t shirt as a buffer over a finger. Twisted bastard that worked that one out as we all started doing it.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
Retro, brah. I bet you have great memories of video stores going out of business from when you were 5 years old.

:tickled:

Steep Slope Sliders was one more in a sea of 32bit sports games, many of them excellent.
Winter Heat also came out for the ST-V. it is a brilliant game which captures arcade style mechanics for sports games like was the case in older days.
Steep Slope Sliders might be a lot of fun but it isn't anything special when put into context.

Massive Urethra Chode

Disciple Of Orochi

I was ten years old in 2005. Of course I remember video stores going out of business. There was a mom and pop place I used to go as a kid that even rented NES and genesis games.

madman

I was ten years old in 2005. Of course I remember video stores going out of business. There was a mom and pop place I used to go as a kid that even rented NES and genesis games.

2005 is not "early 2000s" you uneducated hillbilly. You are too stupid to live.

Massive Urethra Chode

Disciple Of Orochi
2005 is not "early 2000s" you uneducated hillbilly. You are too stupid to live.

I was renting N64 games in 2000-2004 as well. My mom would take me and my older brother to the rental place... we also would get the occasional PlayStation 1 game...

I distinctly remember renting paper Mario, zelda ocarina of time, and snowboard kids 2 in 2002.

In 2003 I rented Cubivore: survival of the fittest for GameCube.

Why do I bother talking to the brick wall lol.

Last edited:

Claudia Schiffer

back to basics
15 Year Member
I was renting N64 games in 2000-2004 as well. My mom would take me and my older brother to the rental place... we also would get the occasional PlayStation 1 game...

Why do I bother to talk to the brick wall lol.

you should come into chat and talk about this.

Colorado Rockie

Terry Bogard's Taylor
Coolboarders 3 was the shit. Steep Slope Sliders was good as well. I remember it came with a DC sticker that I put on my real snowboard as a kid. I never did like 1080 or the Gamecube sequel, but SSX destroyed them all when that came out.

Massive Urethra Chode

Disciple Of Orochi
I think Sad Onion is a cool dude

yeah? You must be sarcastic because nobody really thinks I’m cool here.

I’m always shocked to see any positive comments at all wherever I post. Fucking “lads” making a shit show all the time.

Anyway I like steep slope. I guess this thread can die now.

Someone will find a way to pick apart this post too, and make a jab at me. Well FUCK YOU in advance.

Yes, I get it. I’m young and I happen to enjoy old stuff. STEP OFF.

Last edited: