Best year of gaming?

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
PSX to me is relevant because it was the tipping point between generations in a way that no other console had or has been since. it was able to somewhat pull off sophisticated 2D competently, and provide 3D gaming very elegantly indeed for the time.

Yet, it didn't do anything others didn't do before. The introduction and popularization of the CD format belongs to the PCE CD Rom[SUP]2[/SUP], the Neo provided the first memory card, the Saturn had roughly the same 2D/3D abilities and was released a month earlier, with Virtua Fighter being the first 3D fighting game. Nintendo was first to include analogue controls into a standard game pad. Finally, the video game as cultural phenomenon was established long before the PSX by Atari (Pong), Taito (Space Invaders) and Namco (Pac-Man).

Granted, the PSX did all of the above more elegant, but not as a pioneer, which decisively diminishes its potential of historical and general importance.

I'm split between PS2 and SFC/SNES as the other top 3. what they brought to the table was greatly important, especially since they where systems which carried the narrative as the frontrunners in their respective generations.

As a personal choice, I can fully understand your selection, those two were no doubt the most popular consoles of their generation. But other than being stellar sequels and successors of what came before, there seems to be nothing else to consider them important. Mass media hype aside, if Sony didn't enter the video game business, I'd argue that Sega and Microsoft would have been able to provide the same.

titchgamer

Guerilla Warrior
Yet, it didn't do anything others didn't do before. The introduction and popularization of the CD format belongs to the PCE CD Rom[SUP]2[/SUP], the Neo provided the first memory card, the Saturn had roughly the same 2D/3D abilities and was released a month earlier, with Virtua Fighter being the first 3D fighting game. Nintendo was first to include analogue controls into a standard game pad. Finally, the video game as cultural phenomenon was established long before the PSX by Atari (Pong), Taito (Space Invaders) and Namco (Pac-Man).

Granted, the PSX did all of the above more elegant, but not as a pioneer, which decisively diminishes its potential of historical and general importance.

As a personal choice, I can fully understand your selection, those two were no doubt the most popular consoles of their generation. But other than being stellar sequels and successors of what came before, there seems to be nothing else to consider them important. Mass media hype aside, if Sony didn't enter the video game business, I'd argue that Sega and Microsoft would have been able to provide the same.

15b67052e21878be4454d6bd120e913f.png

For me no console is more important than the NES.

Nintendo pretty much brought the industry back from death and ruin with it.

I think the only thing the SNES and Mega Drive did was stoke the fire with what could only be described as the best ever console war ever! It had kids fighting in the playground defending the honour of their chosen console lol

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
You are missing the point. I am talking about consoles which shifted the landscape and where also frontrunners in their given generations. Success is also a field which can be taken into account as a factor in this conversation. These platforms opened the playfield up and legitimized the areas they where championing. PSX was a temple to the new wave of gaming and beyond the popularity with gamers it was a system which was massively invested in by third party companies. That to me makes for great gaming and upon the release of these cultural colossals made for greatest years in gaming. Just an opinion though, quite a personal one to boot

Massive Urethra Chode

Disciple Of Orochi
The Future is Now!

2018 is the best year of gaming. Followed by 2019, and so on. The SSDS3 is amazing, I love it!

We don’t have to wait for all these good games from the 90s to be released cuz they’ve already been out for ages. 2018 rocks !

godzilla43

Geese's Thug
Maybe for the Neo ‘96 was better, but across all platforms it’s got to be ‘98.

Neo Geo:
KOF ‘98

N64:
Ocarina of Time

Playstation:
Metal Gear Solid

Saturn:
Panzer Dragoon Saga

PC:
Half Life

Gameboy:
Pokemon Red / Blue (in English)

I mean you could argue any of these are the best game on their systems, and they are all some of the greatest games of all time.

I know Last Blade came out in ‘98 as well, but I prefer the second one.

Plus starcraft,unreal,rainbow six,thief,tekken3(ps1),marvel vs capcom,grim fandango, resedent evil 2,baldurs gate

Last edited:

godzilla43

Geese's Thug
Also 1994 is pretty great. Megaman X arguably the best megaman X game, Sonic 3 is the best sonic until Sonic Mania, SSF2T is still being played, Super Metroid maybe the best 2d platform game of all time, FF6, DKC, Rondo of Blood and Playstation was released.

For those 1998 games I still play KOF98, Marvel vs Capcom, Metal Gear Solid is something I could play and I like it more than Twin Snakes or the other MGS games, Starcraft yeah and I checked some Youtube videos of Rainbow Six and that game might still hold up today. I played that back then like Thief but much less than Half Life. I would not play HL1 nowadays.

Last edited:

The_Chosen_One

Buriki One Master
I'm split between PS2 and SFC/SNES as the other top 3. what they brought to the table was greatly important, especially since they where systems which carried the narrative as the frontrunners in their respective generations.

I know various consoles had some type of video capability before it, but the PS2 always stands out as the console that merged those devices. Instead of needing a movie player (VCR, DVD etc) as well as your gaming console the PS2 gave you both. At the time that was pretty big, and when you think of now and how common it is for people to use their consoles as much for those other things (Blu Ray, 4K, Netflix etc) than just playing games it really hammers that point home.

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
I always go back to 1993. But honestly that whole decade was pretty damn solid.

Lords of Thunder

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
I always go back to 1993. But honestly that whole decade was pretty damn solid.

Honestly, across home computers to consoles, for me at least, 85-99 or so was pretty much the golden age of video games in my eyes.

heihachi

Krauser's Henchman
2001 is my favorite year, lots of new hardware launches and classics:

GBA launch
Xbox and Gamecube launch within a week of each other
PS2 first real holiday

Halo
GTA III
Tony Hawk III
MGS2
FFX
Pikmin
Luigi's Mansion
Smash Bros Melee

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
Arcade was my second home, so it would 1993.

Hyper Fighting
Mortal Kombat 2
Daytona USA
NBA Jam
Samurai Showdown

NHL 94 Genesis
Super Bomberman party pack SNES

Neodogg

Dogg-Father,
20 Year Member
It's funny you all mention PlayStation, that is the only console I've never gotten into? Never had a ps1, had an emulator for my MacBook and got a 2nd hand PS2 from a friend. I don't like the controller, nor the button naming. I'd always get the shapes mixed up which made the games frustrating.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
I don't like the controller, nor the button naming. I'd always get the shapes mixed up which made the games frustrating.

Dat D-pad killed 2D, later analogue sticks were decent, but nowhere near the 360. If there was a major flaw to Sony's consoles, that would be the controller. The Namco and Hori sticks were top noch, though, and the late PS2 Saturn pad was a dream to use on the PS1, too.

godzilla43

Geese's Thug
It's funny you all mention PlayStation, that is the only console I've never gotten into? Never had a ps1, had an emulator for my MacBook and got a 2nd hand PS2 from a friend. I don't like the controller, nor the button naming. I'd always get the shapes mixed up which made the games frustrating.

Well in hindsight Playstation changed the home console market with bringing older gamers in to market with Gran Turismo, Resident Evil etc.
Also if Sony had not come in to gaming market I don't think there would be no Xbox also. I also bought PS1 like 2010 in thrift store because it was like 10$ with controllers and couple games. Now that is modded and it plays Japan games I have bought bunch of good games for it.

Last edited:

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member

Shapes confuse you?

cat

It's Time Us Welsh, Stood on our own 2 feet, WEL_S
Honestly, across home computers to consoles, for me at least, 85-99 or so was pretty much the golden age of video games in my eyes.

Yep, i gotta agree with you KP.
There's no way i can pick out a single year in particular, but the console war between the MD and the SNES gave us gem after gem for years.
The arcades were magical places back then as well, i've gone on many holidays to seaside resorts in my teenage year's and been stuck in a smokey, jingle filled neon wonderland for most of the trip lol.

Neodogg

Dogg-Father,
20 Year Member
Shapes confuse you?

Nah, they just seem to be a rhyme or reason to their progression. I can do the ABC, XYZ but random shapes? Maybe if I spent more time with a PlayStation they would feel more natural.

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,

What a goddam moron. Think of the X and O as letters, now you only have 2 shapes to memorize. And if you forget, it's a 50/50 chance.

Last edited:

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
I've never even thought about the shapes to be honest, I just memorized the diamond pattern and went from that.

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
I've never even thought about the shapes to be honest, I just memorized the diamond pattern and went from that.

Yeah I never really thought about the shapes either, a few friends in college would refer to the buttons as if they were SNES buttons. "Which button jumps?" "B."