Neo Geo Korean version differences

Geddon_jt

Creator of the Master List,
20 Year Member
I always wondered if the 3do version of Eye of Typhoon could be dumped, with the Neo version "extracted" from the 3do wrapper, sort of like how people ripped Ironclad out of the Wii store. I think Jeff K or someone told me a few years ago that this was not possible...

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I always wondered if the 3do version of Eye of Typhoon could be dumped, with the Neo version "extracted" from the 3do wrapper, sort of like how people ripped Ironclad out of the Wii store. I think Jeff K or someone told me a few years ago that this was not possible...
It can't be running the Neo version through an emulator. The 3DO doesn't have the power. It also has smaller characters than the PC version.

kingcuckmelon1

War Room Troll

AFAIK, the two builds of the game would be different as the two consoles had different processors

SuperGun

Proto Hunter
20 Year Member
It’s been a couple of months since I last heard from him. He was working on getting me in touch with an acquaintance of his who’s grandfather actually worked for SNK for the better part of his life. (unrelated to the Typhoon research he was doing, but was a promising lead regarding other unreleased Neo games)

In fact it wasn’t just the grandfather that had worked for SNK. The father has also followed suit. (at the time, he gave me additional details about the family that we’re very intriguing as well but I can’t recall everything)

I will reach out to him again this weekend and see if he’s acquired anymore information. The problem is that he told me that he was getting ready to sign up for the ROK (Korean Army) which is required there, and thus puts you pretty much out of touch for 21 months. So if he’s already done so, it may be too late.

Neo Alec

20 Year Member
Awesome! I'll get that Eye of Typhoon info translated this weekend.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
If I recall, some Korean game Mask Rom chips had different NGH #s on them. Samsho 2 (Saulabi Spirits) for example has 163 instead of 063 right? That would explain the reason they jumped to the 200s once they went past 099.

Edit:
I knew I saw it said somewhere. It is on a wiki page though so take that with a grain or two.
https://wiki.neogeodev.org/index.ph...ially_used_by_official_Korean_NeoGeo_releases

Fair point, though in the case of SamSho2, they just added a "1". The PCBs use the same numbered mask ROMs the regular versions with the exception of the P ROMs / additional EPROMs.

kingcuckmelon1

War Room Troll
So I done a very hacky translation of the scan Billy provided, it looks like a review of the game and a bit of a strategy guide.

This is the text that made at least some remote sense:

Is a two-player simultaneous game

press the selected button and press the start button.

Reveal the enemy using various techniques given by using the appropriate lever and button.

the power of Neo Geo series

The 300-mega-high-capacity system

It is wrapped around the mystery of the mystery

Confront the power of the fighter

The system is divided into two groups according to the conventional method.

It is a charging method,
You can select two characters from the castle of your choice

air strikes are made possible only by the right method.

In addition, unlike the existing system, it is possible to set three types of state of the character

Neo Alec

20 Year Member

The 95th. Passing the test, program, fighting game, instructions, photos

Device name: Kukcho Hokwan (The Eye Of Typhoon)

Type of device: Program

Date of inspection: 1995.12.8.

Device inspection number: 1516

Requested inspection company: Big A Corporation

Telephone: (02) 418-4844

Company owner/representive: Kim Daehwan

Address: 184-1 Daeseong Building, 2nd Floor, Seokchon-dong, Songpa-gu, Seoul

Game Instructions:

This is a 2-player game. Insert 100-300 won, then the game will start. Press the select button, then press the start button. Game will start.

Play using the lever and buttons, defeat the enemeis using several available skills.

Game Story:

The thrill, beauty, power of the Neo Geo series fighting game sequel.

200 mega huge size action game, "The Eye Of Typhoon", is a program development domestically. The story is about the mysterious skill, "Kukcho Hokwan", passed down since the Ming Dynasty in China, and the top fighters in the world competing for power.

The gameplay is different from traditional fighting games. It's divided into two game modes: The traditional game mode, whoich is the one-on-one mode, or Team mode, where you can select two of twelve characters, and change characters during the match, which is what's special about this game.

Because the material is about chivalry, the ultimate skill is divided into the basic fighting style and victory fighting style. When using a victory skill item, you can change to the victory fighting style, so you can expect a variety of footwork movements, and reversal of the game. Because the skill is divided into the basic fighting style and victory style, it's only possible to use the special and ultimate skills in the victory mode.

Also, this is different from previous games, because depending on the characters' conditions, you can select three types of footwork, so it expresses more realistic movement and, depending on the distance between the fighters, the characters and backgrounds can zoom, so it expresses more realism. Finally, because there are exceptions to the zoom out condition, it's possible to have smooth screen expression.

Depending on all the details mentioned, hope you have a nice match.

kingcuckmelon1

War Room Troll
Does anyone know if Eye of Typhoon (Neo version) was location tested? It was my understanding that it was only shown at trade shows