Best budget TV for OSSC low input lag?

capnd77

Marked Wolf
I'm about to purchase the OSSC this weekend and I'm looking for any suggestions on a budget HD display with minimal input lag. It doesn't have to be too large of a display maybe 40inchs or so.. Any suggestion are appreciated..

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
if you're going budget- get the best refresh rate you can afford.

buying an hd tv to run an ossc into so you can run your old stuff into it is a little sill though. just get a crt and call it day. that would save you on the ossc too.

capnd77

Marked Wolf
I have two PVMs currently and run mostly RGB but I just want to give my older CRTs a break, and just trying to future proof. These CRTs aren't gonna last forever.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Then don't be a cheap ass and get a proper LCD display, besides how can you be taken seriously when first off you have PVM's already?

capnd77

Marked Wolf
Then don't be a cheap ass and get a proper LCD display, besides how can you be taken seriously when first off you have PVM's already?

Don't get me wrong, I love my PVMs I hate to use anything else. Shit I also have 3 other CRTs, but I'm in the process of moving into a new house and I need to maximize space and like I said before my CRTs get heavy use already I'd like to use them less. So I'd like to ideally keep my 2 PVMs and a modern display in my game room only, looks cleaner and takes up less room. As for cost, modern displays aren't terrible expensive these days. No sense In buying anything expensive if there's a nice cheap to moderate alternative.

Dochartaigh

Edo Express Delivery Guy
Don't worry man, I just did a 15+ hour replay of Castlevania SoTN on my 60" through an OSSC when the room right next door is full of Sony BVM and PVM monitors (including a huge 32" PVM), it's sometimes just easier (and preferred) to play on a huge flatscreen at times.

If you're looking for around 40" I would look at the TCL 43" 5-Series. It's ~$399 I believe. The larger 55" is ~$699 ChuChuFlamingo mentioned and is their top-tier set (well, 2nd best as their 65" for a grand has slightly better features/specs). Some people have complained about banding on the newer sets so I would buy it from a brick and mortar store that will let you return it just in case you get one of those rare sets with a problem (which FYI, TCL's customer support seems to be very good and sending out technicians to look at any problem sets so no matter what you'll probably be taken care of).

There are other brands of course, but you mentioned budget and low lag, and nobody is really competing with TCL on a dollar-for-dollar basis in even the most remote sense (they really are a bargain).

Last edited:

massimiliano

ネオジオ,
20 Year Member
hope the question is not OT but, how about (budget) OLED?
Are they laggier?

capnd77

Marked Wolf
Don't worry man, I just did a 15+ hour replay of Castlevania SoTN on my 60" through an OSSC when the room right next door is full of Sony BVM and PVM monitors (including a huge 32" PVM), it's sometimes just easier (and preferred) to play on a huge flatscreen at times.

If you're looking for around 40" I would look at the TCL 43" 5-Series. It's ~$399 I believe. The larger 55" is ~$699 ChuChuFlamingo mentioned and is their top-tier set (well, 2nd best as their 65" for a grand has slightly better features/specs). Some people have complained about banding on the newer sets so I would buy it from a brick and mortar store that will let you return it just in case you get one of those rare sets with a problem (which FYI, TCL's customer support seems to be very good and sending out technicians to look at any problem sets so no matter what you'll probably be taken care of).

There are other brands of course, but you mentioned budget and low lag, and nobody is really competing with TCL on a dollar-for-dollar basis in even the most remote sense (they really are a bargain).

Thanks brother! You're the second person to mention TCL, I'm thinking price and performance makes them the ideal compromise. The local best buy has that series for about 300 bucks for a 43", I'll probably snag that one once the OSSC comes in.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
Thanks brother! You're the second person to mention TCL, I'm thinking price and performance makes them the ideal compromise. The local best buy has that series for about 300 bucks for a 43", I'll probably snag that one once the OSSC comes in.

I saw a bunch of last year's TCL models in Walmart for like 399 or maybe less. I might snag one just because