Do People Still Watch The Simpson's???

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
Their ratings are about 10% of what they were at their peak. I dont know anybody who talks about it, let alone quote anything from the new episodes. One of the amazing things about Simpsons prior season 10 , is that pretty much anyone of a certain age would get a reference from the show. The show is truly a zombie form of itself. I think they just want to get to season 30 to say they did.

I watched an episode recently and some of the voice actors are losing it. The woman who does Marge sounds sooo bad now

Exactly what i was thinking. There use to be a time when you coukd say "Oh no! Beta" and everyone in the room would know what you were talking about.

Now, I dont think many kids that are our age now when we watched it, could name everyone that lives in the Simpson house.

Last edited:

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
To answer the question no.I think the last time i watched the simpsons was for the movie and that was it.Fox really did milked the series to death so much,i wonder how it's even alive still at this point.Still i heard about,matt groening next animated show disenchantment coming to netflik this august.I just hope the show can avoid can avoid the trappings from what the simpsons suffer from.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
This was a very solid episode that felt current with the times: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halloween_of_Horror

Regarding Marge, yeah it's noticeable. Doing that kind of voice for such a long period of time has probably had some side effects, I dunno. The voice actor is 67 years old, anyway.

She's super private about her life and is (understandably) not OK with doing the Marge voice in real life. In a 2003 episode of Inside the Actor's Studio she left during a commercial break because she was asked to do the voice when she was told before she wouldn't have to do it.

Last edited:

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
The show's had its ups and downs in recent years (see IMDB ratings for the seasons). We're apparently in a particularly bad one. I'm currently behind by a season and a half. I've kept up with the show from the beginning, so it's unusual for me to not be caught up.

I was complaining generally about the fact that it's overly conservative, I mean with Ned Flanders, and all the references to Christianity, and other religion. It's like a lot of American TV shows, they push a conservative view of life.
The Simpsons conservative? That's a new one. Most of the writing staff during the prime years are atheists who grew up in religious households. They show the most extreme old testament version of god in order to mock Christianity.

Last edited:

CrazyDean

Zero's Secretary
I was complaining generally about the fact that it's overly conservative, I mean with Ned Flanders, and all the references to Christianity, and other religion. It's like a lot of American TV shows, they push a conservative view of life.

So you’re complaint is that an American tv show represents and American way of life? While the ultra conservative family unit is dwindling here, many people in the US grew up in that mentality and have rejected it. This makes the show very relatable to many Americans.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
If time allows it, I do. I like how later seasons include modern lifestyles, new everyday objects and current politics into the Simpsons universe. It's also fascinating, that they can't go back to the Capraesque innocence of the first shows. But who could after nearly 30 seasons.

Igakajook

Armored Scrum Object
Whenever I happen to catch part of a Simpsons episode, I remember I'd rather be watching Futurama instead.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Whenever I happen to catch part of a Simpsons episode, I remember I'd rather be watching Futurama instead.

giphy.gif

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
I watched this entire video a few months ago and didn't regret it.

Just watched this vid you shared and it was great, pretty accurate. Not least because it also mocks Big Bang Theory, which together with Two and a Half Men is the worst thing to happen to comedy in recent years (but I would love to watch the show without the laugh tracks, it seems that the result is something akin to The Room).
I felt the airport example provided a good example of how the humor had changed at it's core, but it was somewhat cringeworthy as an imagined scene, because even if the second variant tries to showcase a layered approach to comedy, as something created in the spirit of classic Simpsons it falls way short

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
Nope. Haven't watched a new episode in close to 20 years. Will still gladly watch any episode from the first 8 seasons or so.