POWER SUPPLY - for a probably EURO console i want to use in USA / CANADA

Supaire

Banned
Hi there, I finally got my NEO in hands !
But I'm confused about two things :
- the origine of the console.
- the power suply that I should use.

Let me explain :
I had this Neo Geo when i lived in France but I don't remember if this one is a European Console or a Japanese one. I don't know if it is possible to determine its country zone without turning The power ON ?

Now that I live in Canada the electricity is 110 Volt. But in Europe, the voltage is 220 Volt.

my serial is 076227 so i should use a PRO-POW UL wich is :
• power input AC120V
• power output DC5V
• 3A

My question : What power supply should I use for this console in Canada / USA if it is an Euro or a Jap one ?

I Still have the power supply that I used to use in France but it says :
•AC input 100-240V
•50/60Hrz
•180mA
•Output DC 3-12V (I used the 6V setting)
•max 1.5A (9VA)

Thanks for your help
I hope this is not as confuse as I am ^^

Suplex

n00b
Doesn't matter where its from. If it needs 5V3A give it 5V3A. Input like AC110-240V is just the accepted range of input from the wall socket and doesn't play a role in the output. The output should be listed DC 5V3A which is for the PRO-POW UL. Make sure the tip is negative polarity (center-negative) should pictured on the supply.

center_pin_polarity.jpg

Last edited:

Supaire

Banned
Ok Thank you so much !!

Just for informational purpose : Do I put my hardware at risk if I try my old power supply on ? The amperage is under 3A so I don't know if it will cause damage or not ? (AC input 100-240V •50/60Hrz •180mA •Output DC 6V •max 1.5A)

I'd like to test my console soon ^^

ack

Ninja Combat Warrior
15 Year Member
You can cause damage to your console if the output voltage of the power supply is greater then the voltage requirement of the console. The amperage the power supply can output needs to be greater or equal to the required amperage of the console.

-ack

J-P

NEST Puppet
You can cause damage to your console if the output voltage of the power supply is greater then the voltage requirement of the console. The amperage the power supply can output needs to be greater or equal to the required amperage of the console.

-ack

This.

As stated above; Make sure the amperage is 3A or higher on whatever power supply you plug in. Also - get a 'regulated' power supply if you can. You can buy one here -- there are pretty good specific details listed there too. Or you can get a generic one from your local electronics store. Just make sure it's center-negative; you'll find center-positive is more common.

I've heard various AES units can be a bit funny with precise voltage, so it pays to get a better power supply. Cheap chinese crap can often be off by too much.

Last edited:

Supaire

Banned
thanks guys.
I won't try to fire up my console untill I get the power supply from RetroGameSupply.com (I just ordered it)

But technically, I could use my old European power supply using this kind of adapter :
48-518.jpg

Attachments

• Capture d’écran 2018-05-23 à 14.48.37.png
    Capture d’écran 2018-05-23 à 14.48.37.png
    78.5 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:

Suplex

n00b
Correct provided it has an input range of 100-240V, but you keep saying your supply has 6V/1.5A Output which is past the recommended 5V and only just about enough to run the the console which needs 8w. Volts is all that matter. You have no idea what model/power board SNK put in the AES that has to deal with the extra voltage. A fair amount of AES's lack any sort of chip protection. Using a 6V 1.5A supply is at your own risk.