SEGA Saturn Steering Wheel

c0nn0r

If I could have, My time back, I'd keep it in ma'
10 Year Member
Hey guys, I'm interested in picking up a SEGA Saturn Steering Wheel, particularly the HSS-0141 white model from Japan. I see a bunch on ebay, in box for decent price.

Never having used one of these before I'd like to find out folks' opinion on it. The good, and the bad.

s-l300.jpg

I've used similar wheels for Playstation back in the day and loved it. Hoping this one stacks up!

J-P

NEST Puppet
It's a nice controller, very chunky and you can adjust the position a little -- but (and it's a big but) you can get the same controls using the 3D Controller (analogue triggers even... not sure if any games actually use those though). There are no pedals, so you have to hold a button down to accelerate / brake. That and there really aren't that many racing games on the Saturn that make it super worthwhile (they all work with the 3D controller)... which is also useful for various other games. I had one back in the day and played a lot of Sega Rally on the thing.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I'm not crazy about it to be honest. It's way too sensitive, it makes driving a lot more difficult than it should be. I use the pad most of the time still.

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
Yeah I've got one and it's been gathering dust for years and not getting used. It was novel for Daytona USA, Sega Rally & Sega Touring cars, but I'd rather play those games on a controller and keep it out my living room to be honest. If postage wasn't such a bitch to Canada I'd let you have it for free.

So, not an essential purchase... at least in my view. But I'm glad to have at least had a go on one. No pedals as J-P said, but it does have flappy paddle gear changes... like a sports car ;)

c0nn0r

If I could have, My time back, I'd keep it in ma'
10 Year Member
The reason I'm looking into this, and the reason I'm looking for a white one is because I want to use it for Saturn Outrun on my NAC. Feels kinda weird playing it now with sticks. I have a spare unpopulated CP that I would mount it to.

Thoughts?

Of the top of my head I would worry that the angle of the wheel would be wrong if mounted on the NAC CP. I don't have plastic vacuum-forming skills to make an attachment that would do it justice.

J-P

NEST Puppet
NAC .... what is that? I am not down with the lingo.

I was tempted to get one a while ago (my old one is in a cupboard somewhere in the UK) but I already have other crazy Saturn peripherals (mission stick, various other random Saturn controllers, multi-taps etc.) and yeah... to be honest, Outrun plays reeeal nice with a 3D controller. Are you getting my enormous bias toward the 3D controller? 'Tis a thing of beauty - also good on titles such as Burning Rangers and Panzer Zwei. You can't use a steering wheel on those games no-sir. Do you have one yet? I would 'for the record' buy one over the wheel.

But just bite the bullet on it if you really want it. You can always sell it on, they tend to hold their value pretty well and if you've already paid the shipping into Canuckistan you'll easily find someone locally who'll take it. There aren't really many alternatives on the Saturn that are better (other than... guess what... THE 3D CONTROLLER). Ahem.... actually there is a Madcatz one (super rare + kinda shitty); it comes with pointlessly analogue pedals... which don't work in any games and you have to whack them fully down for them to register.

J-P

NEST Puppet
New Astro City, a JP arcade cab.

Ah yes - from those fine folks at Sega. I'd be curious to see that cab with a Saturn racing wheel poking out of it... forget my insistence of the almighty 3D controller then, the aesthetics would be ruined.