Best Grand Theft Auto

djjimmyjames

NG.com Tattoo Artist.,
15 Year Member
if you played them all its easy to say V. It was the best game to come out the year it was released. The first player story mode was so incredible I have played it twice and recently started a third. Plus the online is incredible and still going strong.

Lets Gekiga In

Neon Night Rider
20 Year Member
Call me old fashioned but GTA: London is my favorite. I would like a remake of that somehow over Vice City but obviously it is highly unlikely to happen.

I need to check out GTA London 1969. I heard the music was very good.

Setherial

Metal Slug Mechanic
10 Year Member
For me it's San Andreas, secondly followed by V.
3 is up there as well since it was the first 3D GTA.

Tripredacus

Three 6 Mafia
10 Year Member
Its a toss up between GTA V and GTA IV only because GTA IV has a swing set that can launch you across town.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Vice City

80s > fake NY > fake LA

I don't think it's just the time period that sets the atmosphere in Vice City apart. It's that it has a specific focus. It's a parody of movies like Scarface.

GTA IV is like some stupid ass half serious American dream shtick. Except it looks like ass, controls like ass, the missions all suck, and your in-game friends are annoying as fuck.

oldschool

Cock Killer with Ice D,
I need to check out GTA London 1969. I heard the music was very good.
I have been trying to find FLAC files of the London OST but it seems fruitless. Did you guys do the custom CD swap to have your own music play when you enter vehicles? That was a great time in gaming for me, before the Xbox and it's ability to rip music to your HDD. :-J

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Vice City for me too, although admittedly I haven't played V yet. I even bought the soundtrack lol

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
Never played V ,never will play V BUT loved III's dark atmosphere,the gang's ability to attack you with their cars and flying around in the plane. Vice City took it to another level with major style points but they removed the gang's ability to detect you as a foe while they were driving.
BB

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
Never played V ,never will play V BUT loved III's dark atmosphere,the gang's ability to attack you with their cars and flying around in the plane. Vice City took it to another level with major style points but they removed the gang's ability to detect you as a foe while they were driving.
BB

GTA3 had one useable plane and it didn't fly because it had no wings. Why are you lying to us?

ratson

Hyperactive Stoner
15 Year Member
Storywise, vice city for me.
Gameplay, san andreas.
I did like V but I am not into online gaming so after the main story there was nothing left worth doing. Way too short if you don't go online.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
BB
Vice City just felt like an expansion pack to GTAIII, which I suppose it was.
GTAIII became unplayable if you made the mistake of getting on the wrong side with the gangs (or at least, it meant you could no longer do the side missions like the fireman mission, as they would just destroy the truck, when you tried to go around putting out fires). They would destroy the car you were driving in, and the effect was irreversible. So, it was something that had to be fixed, in some way, in the next game.
I thought you couldn't fly around much with the Dodo, unless you were very skilled.

Last edited:

Gaston

Mature's Make-up Artist
3 blew my mind when it came out. Bought it not knowing much about it and ended up locked in my dorm room playing this game for days straight. We also created alcohol related games surrounding ingame activities, e.g. get 5 stars quickly and beat up as many hookers as you can using only a motorcycle to get around before you die. Losers take 3 shots, winners 1. Good memories.

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
I mastered GTAIII and that only happened due to a glitch that occurred as I was trying to locate every package of drugs. The glitch occured on the bridge you stand on that elevates you to the package of drugs in mid air. While I was standing on the bridge I fell through as it elevated me leading me to believe this was a normal occurrence so I learned how to fly the dodo thinking I could get it that way but that didn't work as you cannot detect it from the sky.
Claude's non verbal communication makes him a great character,I loved using the compass to navigate and was disappointed that some of the missions were removed due to 911. There is a guy in a tunnel below St.Marks that just stands there and the part where Donald Love is kidnapped with no explanation.I flew the dodo to a part of the game that was never fully developed,etc.
BB
GTAIII became unplayable if you made the mistake of getting on the wrong side with the gangs. They would destroy the car you were driving in, and the effect was irreversible. So, it was something that had to be fixed, in some way, in the next game.
I thought you couldn't fly around much with the Dodo, unless you were very skilled.

Last edited:

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
I am happy BIG BEAR is still a part of this forum and posts from time to time. I enjoy his posts.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
Claude's non verbal communication makes him a great character
I think he was supposed to be like the character in DOOM ("Doomguy"). I don't think Claude originally had a name (just like "Doomguy" never actually had a name)- I don't think anybody else in the game called him that. It was supposed to increase the immersive element, by making it easier to believe that you were the character.

Last edited:

djjimmyjames

NG.com Tattoo Artist.,
15 Year Member
BB
V is amazing, one of the voice actors that played Trevor launched an acting career from it. He just played a guy on the walking Dead for three seasons. You are essentially this bank robber that gets put into a witness protection program. You also play a Gang type member and Trevor. Its an amazing game, If you have a PC or a system that can play it I would really advise giving it a shot.

MattBlah

Baseball Star Hitter
It peaked at Vice City for me. I tried 4 and 5 but they didn't hold my interest for long.

suicidekiller

Host for Orochi,
Aren't they all the same? Never bothered with this series or Rockstar Games in general. Still, if I had to choose I'd pick the original GTA for nostalgia reasons.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Aren't they all the same? Never bothered with this series or Rockstar Games in general. Still, if I had to choose I'd pick the original GTA for nostalgia reasons.
No, not all the same.

GTA 1+expansions, 2, and Advance play a certain way. Not just that they all have a top down perspective, but also they have similar mission structures and game mechanics.

III is the basis for Vice City, San Andreas, Vice City Stories, and Liberty City Stories. This is when the series jumped to 3D and began the focus the games on specific time periods and areas. These games are all cartoony and over the top in terms of characterization.

IV and its expansions are sort of like the preachy phase that great bands go through after they realize they're great. It looks like shit, controls like shit, and it's pretentious as fuck.

V is when they fixed all the horrible, broken mechanics from IV and stopped taking themselves so seriously. Tons of shit to do, plays more like a third person shooter.

and Chinatown Wars is its own thing. Isometric viewpoint like the 2D games but with polygonal graphics. Unique hut very fun.

suicidekiller

Host for Orochi,
No, not all the same.

That was a rhetorical question. I just don't like the gangster I'm-so-cool-and-blow-everything-up attitude that all have in common. So yeah, they are all the same (for me). But thanks for elaborating. Hopefully someone else will make use of it.

famicommander

15 Year Member
For all those saying Vice City: you can't swim in Vice City.

True. This is its biggest weakness in my opinion. That and the lack of free aiming for certain weapons on the console versions. PC version is great though; being able to aim the minigun up and down instead of just left and right is awesome.

San Andreas having bullshit Sims-style stuff tied to your stats and being a massive yet largely empty world are points against it. And I didn't like the characters or story as much.

But being able to swim is definitely the best thing San Andreas brought to the franchise.