Best Buy Gamer Club shut down

Cylotron

ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪
15 Year Member
I didn't even know they had a Gamer Club. que sera sera

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Nothing like having 32 sales people ask if you need help finding anything as you browse what still passes for their movie section.

wju2004

Armored Scrum Object
Yeah, not happy to see this. I honestly did most of my game shopping through them, especially when I bought special editions.

Guess I need to get a few more games I really want and then once it ends, just either wait for a sale or buy it from Amazon.

gusmoney

Unsure if You Asked, For a custom Rank, But Hell,
10 Year Member
I used my brother's membership. Discounts were the nice price.

Fritz

Annex Florida Coalition, Goodwill Ambassador,
15 Year Member
Yea I will miss the 20%. My membership still has until Nov 2019 luckily.

ChopstickSamurai

I have earned the, right to PM Rot.,
Hopefully Amazon won't take their Prime discount on pre-orders away now.

Best Buy is a terrible place to shop. Anytime I want something from there I'll just order it online and wait a few days to get it.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
They are retiring GCU and something else is getting announced in June. It really was a loss leader idea to be honest.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
But will they still install my Wii game for just $12?

installgame.jpg

ChopstickSamurai

Wow, that's just nuts. I remember buying a scanner years ago and being asked if I wanted to purchase installation. I must've gave the clerk the most WTF look since they ended the conversation immediately.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member

installgame.jpg

my god what a flashback, Geek Squad

I was a teenager, desktop computer wasn't working, took it into Geek Squad, they had it for like a week, came back and guy was like, “Yeahhhhh I turned it on and it wasn't working, not sure what to do...”And then I had to pay 80 bucks, which was like the flat fee for taking anything there.

It was a valuable lesson about the world, con men and corporations though.

Neo Ash

NG.com Audiophile, Club Member,
Shouldn't this thread be titled....Best Buy shutting down.

tomwaits

NEST Puppet
10 Year Member
They've also stopped allowing purchases of PSN, eshop, etc credit when using a BB gift card for payment. Revamping their gaming department policies is going to cost them customers. I think they're shifting to only focus on high margin items anyway... become just a TV/appliance/mobile store.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
Shit. We have Amazon Prime, but it excludes a lot of games. They often don't have Switch games for pre-order.

Luckily I just re-upped my Best Buy Gamer's Club Unlocked for 2 years.

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
Nothing like having 32 sales people ask if you need help finding anything as you browse what still passes for their movie section.

Their movie selection has become shit. I used to find all kinds of rare 70s/80s sci-fi, action,horror, and cyberpunk stuff.....Now you're lucky if you can find anything other than new releases.

ChopstickSamurai

Shouldn't this thread be titled....Best Buy shutting down.

I'm honestly surprised they stuck around this long after Circuit Shitty went away. I used to love shopping at brick and mortar stores. But now it's just a huge freaking hassle.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
I'm honestly surprised they stuck around this long after Circuit Shitty went away. I used to love shopping at brick and mortar stores. But now it's just a huge freaking hassle.

Honestly, I don't go to Best buy unless I have to. It's overpriced, underwhelming selection of items, and sometimes shoddy quality. The few vinyl records I've purchased from them were slightly warped due to storage, which I promptly returned.

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
Their movie selection has become shit. I used to find all kinds of rare 70s/80s sci-fi, action,horror, and cyberpunk stuff.....Now you're lucky if you can find anything other than new releases.

Does any chain store have a large selection of movies? Tower Records is the only chain I really miss, I used to find all kinds of interesting shit there, both music and movies. For years, Best Buy was my main source of buying movies though. As long as I'm buying from a chain and not a local business I'd rather just use Amazon. Click, click, two days later it shows up in my mail room.

Yoshi

20 Year Member
Hopefully Amazon won't take their Prime discount on pre-orders away now.

Best Buy is a terrible place to shop. Anytime I want something from there I'll just order it online and wait a few days to get it.

Shit. We have Amazon Prime, but it excludes a lot of games. They often don't have Switch games for pre-order.
I give the Prime discount until the end of the year at most. Amazon's policies are all around creating a de facto monopoly. With the competition removed, there is no reason for them to provide the discount.

WoodyXP

Setsuna's Owl Keeper,
15 Year Member
I was a teenager, desktop computer wasn't working, took it into Geek Squad, they had it for like a week, came back and guy was like, “Yeahhhhh I turned it on and it wasn't working, not sure what to do...”And then I had to pay 80 bucks, which was like the flat fee for taking anything there.

Geek Squad is pretty bad. Their hiring standards are loose and they don't pay enough to attract any decent talent. The perfect recipe for suck.

But they are pretty good at setting up your Playstation. They're on point about that.

Last edited:

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Yeah, from what a friend of mine who was formerly a supervisor there told me they don't actually hire techs, they just hire that 18 year old kid that "knows computers." Anyone with real knowledge leaves pretty quickly for better jobs.

Viewpoint

Art of Typing Wiz, , ,
20 Year Member
Does any chain store have a large selection of movies? Tower Records is the only chain I really miss, I used to find all kinds of interesting shit there, both music and movies. For years, Best Buy was my main source of buying movies though. As long as I'm buying from a chain and not a local business I'd rather just use Amazon. Click, click, two days later it shows up in my mail room.

Tower Records was great for books and CDs also.

NeuroticMoose

Super Spy Agent

If you consider regional chains like Amoeba Records or Rasputin Music and others small record stores chain stores then yes.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I've tried to go to Best Buy to grab a game. Their videogame section is a derelict wasteland. Half the stuff is shovelware. Then theyhave download codes spread everywhere. Rarely any AAA games.

I just wanted Mario Kart 8 in a pinch. Did not happen at BB.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
I've tried to go to Best Buy to grab a game. Their videogame section is a derelict wasteland. Half the stuff is shovelware. Then theyhave download codes spread everywhere. Rarely any AAA games.

I just wanted Mario Kart 8 in a pinch. Did not happen at BB.

Very true. Wasn't too long ago they acted like they gave a shit about selling games, had new stuff and it was easy to buy. Now they have hardly anything on the shelves, supposedly keep everything up front, but it's impossible to tell what's in stock since there's no correlation to the display cases or anything like that. Last couple times I meant to buy a game there they couldn't find what they supposedly had in stock. Haven't bothered since.