Best Streaming Service (movies, shows, anime)?

90s

This is the hand that launched a thousand batches.
I would like to hear other's experiences and opinions and recommendations. I currently have a dish service, but it is lacking for specific things.

Ideally, I would like something that has a good amount of horror and less mainstream horror like Japanese and Korean stuff. Also, some anime, but not as important to me. TV shows even less important. Pretty much a service that has mainstream stuff but also a good amount of more niche stuff. I'm in Canada if that makes a difference.

Thanks.

Beelzebub

Frenzy Football Player
10 Year Member
I've been using VRV a lot lately. It's only $9,99/month. It has 12 different "channels" such as Crunchyroll and Funimation for anime. Shudder for 80s and lesser known modern horror. Cartoon Hangover and Mondo for western style cartoon series, as well as channels for documentaries, tech/games, Japanese/Korean dramas, and select US network TV shows.

I mainly use it for Crunchyroll, since it was only about three dollars more to upgrade from Crunchyroll by itself. Between VRV and Amazon Prime, I'm pretty covered for a decent variety of shows. I still have Netflix, but I don't even really use it anymore to be honest.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
If I had the time, I'd get FilmStruck, which has a lot of Criterion stuff.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Netflix is king. Amazon Prime is Queen. Hulu SUCKS unless you get the version without *any* commercials. Its the slightly more expensive version of it. But all told, if you get that version, Hulu is pretty worth the price.

For shit that isnt on any of those - torrents or whatever pirate-stream app you can get.

Colorado Rockie

Terry Bogard's Taylor
I just mainly use the ad-free Hulu. Occasionally I'll do a month of Netflix here and there, but overall I think Netflix is overrated... too much garbage original content. That said, I do really like Marco Polo and Orange is the New Black. I'm not a Prime Member anymore, but when I was I thought Amazon was the worst out of the big 3. Not sure if it's gotten any better.

90s

This is the hand that launched a thousand batches.
I've been using VRV a lot lately. It's only $9,99/month. It has 12 different "channels" such as Crunchyroll and Funimation for anime. Shudder for 80s and lesser known modern horror. Cartoon Hangover and Mondo for western style cartoon series, as well as channels for documentaries, tech/games, Japanese/Korean dramas, and select US network TV shows.

I mainly use it for Crunchyroll, since it was only about three dollars more to upgrade from Crunchyroll by itself. Between VRV and Amazon Prime, I'm pretty covered for a decent variety of shows. I still have Netflix, but I don't even really use it anymore to be honest.

This pretty much sounds like what I'm looking for, but its not available in Canada.

Thanks for everyone's input. I signed up for the free month of Netflix...and it seems a bit underwhelming. The anime selection is pretty limited and heavy on stuff like Naruto. I typed Godzilla into the search function and it only showed one movie. I think I will give Hulu a shot, maybe soon, but it seems like you almost have to supplement Netflix with a Crunchyroll and Shudder to really get what you want.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
We have Amazon Prime and Netflix. There's some good stuff on Amazon but we hardly ever use it. Netflix gets used daily.

If it was just me, I probably wouldn't have any paid services.

Lets Gekiga In

Neon Night Rider
20 Year Member
We have Amazon Prime and Netflix. There's some good stuff on Amazon but we hardly ever use it. Netflix gets used daily.

If it was just me, I probably wouldn't have any paid services.
I feel the same way. PlutoTV, TubiTV, and Roku Channel have a lot of good free content. Not to mention all the OTA channels I get. I’m also fortunate enough to live within walking distance to my library and they have a pretty vast selection of DVDs.

Colorado Rockie

Terry Bogard's Taylor
This pretty much sounds like what I'm looking for, but its not available in Canada.

Thanks for everyone's input. I signed up for the free month of Netflix...and it seems a bit underwhelming. The anime selection is pretty limited and heavy on stuff like Naruto. I typed Godzilla into the search function and it only showed one movie. I think I will give Hulu a shot, maybe soon, but it seems like you almost have to supplement Netflix with a Crunchyroll and Shudder to really get what you want.

There's tons of anime on Hulu. I don't really watch any of it but there seems to be a lot of options there. Not sure about Godzilla, but they just added a bunch of Gundam stuff it seems.

Beelzebub

Frenzy Football Player
10 Year Member

Oh damn, I didn't realize VRV wasn't available in Canada, that sucks.

djjimmyjames

NG.com Tattoo Artist.,
15 Year Member
We have all three Amazon, Netflix and Hulu. I put Amazon at the back of the pack however we get free prime. Only reason we have it.

Netflix is great and so is Hulu however its hard to decide between the two Hulu movies aren't that great however they have a ton of tv. Netflix has a ton of movies and the tv is ok. This is all gonna change once Disney secures its streaming to the consumer market. They will I feel be the primary as they happen to own a ton of channels and programs that are on Hulu and Netflix.

If I were just to do one and it was for movies I would get Netflix.
If I wanted TV shows I would get Hulu
If I wanted live TV I would do Slacker or PlayStation vue
I also have Kodi and Have no cable service to my house, Kodi works great.