NVS4000 PSU for NAC

Geekman1222

Kula's Candy
I just got my hands on an NVS4000. It does not have the little cable with the ferrite bead running from AC out to AC in. What is that for anyways?

Anyways. Basically just asking the important things here. iirc you need some special harnesses for Stereo sound if your using RCA jacks. And JVS needs a special Harness for those power cords. Am i missing anything. Everything else is just plug and go right?

Thanks guys

brad808

n00b
You need the cable but no ferrite is necessary.
14934bc964bdbb461a1d024f25c6a7d9.jpg

Geekman1222

Kula's Candy
If you don’t have that looped, it will not work. I did this same swap a few months ago- let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks, did you end up removing the wood board, it doesnt exactly fit inside flat with the wood board on it. I noticed you probably have to tear the thing down just to remove all of like 6 screws holding it so i didnt bother

radiantsvgun

They call him Mr. Windy
15 Year Member
Thanks, did you end up removing the wood board, it doesnt exactly fit inside flat with the wood board on it. I noticed you probably have to tear the thing down just to remove all of like 6 screws holding it so i didnt bother

I got a smaller piece of wood, but you need that piece- there is a Sega Model 3 amp and transformer mounted upside down;and the transformer is mounted to the wood.

That model 3 amp handles mono and stereo- if you have problems with either sound, that amp needs new caps.

Geekman1222

Kula's Candy
OH WOW I figured it was holding a transformer there but i thought it was all cased up

Gonna take mine apart then. Might be a good idea to see if theres any funny business lurking inside too

Edit (actually just realized I should probably just leave it on the board, other wise it looks like everything will be flopping around in the breeze)

Thanks for the help my dudes

Last edited:

radiantsvgun

They call him Mr. Windy
15 Year Member
Do you know what kind of JST or AMP connectors I need to convert my exisiting harness's AC cable to work on the NVS4000?

Whats in there now? Snap a pic and I might be able to help you a lot easier.

radiantsvgun

They call him Mr. Windy
15 Year Member
Heres some to get you started. I hope you realize the NVS handles the monitor/degauss and light (marquee bulb) differently. You will need to do some tracing of what goes where.
https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/te-connectivity-amp-connectors/176272-1/A106282-ND/1149444

https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/te-connectivity-amp-connectors/176278-9/A128205-ND/5124073

You'll need to search around for the pins. Theres a few other ones (connectors) I don't have the parts number for now.
vg94wiJl.jpg

This is what it should look like when done- there is no neat way to have it in there.

Last edited:

Geekman1222

Kula's Candy
Heres some to get you started. I hope you realize the NVS handles the monitor/degauss and light (marquee bulb) differently. You will need to do some tracing of what goes where.
https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/te-connectivity-amp-connectors/176272-1/A106282-ND/1149444

https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/te-connectivity-amp-connectors/176278-9/A128205-ND/5124073

You'll need to search around for the pins. Theres a few other ones (connectors) I don't have the parts number for now.
vg94wiJl.jpg

This is what it should look like when done- there is no neat way to have it in there.

Thanks again Radiant, Panda mentioned to me the pinouts are different but didnt elaborate.
I went ahead and got the harness kit, one less set of cables to build. Ill look into this stuff closer when I get home today

radiantsvgun

They call him Mr. Windy
15 Year Member
Thanks again Radiant, Panda mentioned to me the pinouts are different but didnt elaborate.
I went ahead and got the harness kit, one less set of cables to build. Ill look into this stuff closer when I get home today

Depending on the PSU you have in there now, you may have to de-pin and repin some connectors.

Geekman1222

Kula's Candy
I had the 400-5198-01Y

https://wiki.arcadeotaku.com/w/New_Astro_City_PSUs

I should be able to compare the pin outs on the diagrams that will probably tell me

Edit: just first glances at the diagrams theres definately gonna need to be some wire moving.

How do you suggest unlocking the pin out of the connector? what did you use if at all?

Also RSG I noticed you had the same idea i just tested for the first AC IN port which is just using the existing connector from back of the cab haha

Last edited:

Geekman1222

Kula's Candy
Okay I went a head and charted everything out and compared the pin outs on each supply.
The DMaG on CN1 of the 400-5198-01Y needs to be moved to the Monitor output connector. The -5V wire needs to be removed and the SP+ and SP- needs to be removed from CN2

I am probably just going to do new connectors on everything that needs changing.

These are the pins I plan on ordering, if anyone has any objections to this?
Chassis Ground wires are all 18AWG and AC lines are 20AWG.
All the other cables look to be a 22AWG cable.

https://www.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail&itemSeq=262062217&uq=636629326797925458
https://www.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail&itemSeq=262062201&uq=636629326797925458

10 of the 16-20AWG connectors
25 of the 26-22AWG connectors
I added a few extra in case i made a mistake some how

All i need to do now is find
- 6 pin TE connector for the Monitor out
- 4 pin TE connector for the Sound in??? (I still havent figured out where the SP- and SP+ are going from CN2 on my current PSU)

And i think that should do it?

comments?

Thanks again for the help guys

radiantsvgun

They call him Mr. Windy
15 Year Member
Okay I went a head and charted everything out and compared the pin outs on each supply.
The DMaG on CN1 of the 400-5198-01Y needs to be moved to the Monitor output connector. The -5V wire needs to be removed and the SP+ and SP- needs to be removed from CN2

I am probably just going to do new connectors on everything that needs changing.

These are the pins I plan on ordering, if anyone has any objections to this?
Chassis Ground wires are all 18AWG and AC lines are 20AWG.
All the other cables look to be a 22AWG cable.

https://www.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail&itemSeq=262062217&uq=636629326797925458
https://www.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail&itemSeq=262062201&uq=636629326797925458

10 of the 16-20AWG connectors
25 of the 26-22AWG connectors
I added a few extra in case i made a mistake some how

All i need to do now is find
- 6 pin TE connector for the Monitor out
- 4 pin TE connector for the Sound in??? (I still havent figured out where the SP- and SP+ are going from CN2 on my current PSU)

And i think that should do it?

comments?

Thanks again for the help guys

You should have a stereo jumper in your cabinet, here is a pic of mine before I did the conversion:
htli6wIl.jpg

If you don't have this, you are in for a world of hurt. Get ready to re-wire your cab.

Geekman1222

Kula's Candy
Well I figured that plug went into the Sound Out not Sound In, so then that begs the question where are the cabinet speakers hooking into ?? Sorry for the noob question its just that on the NVS pinout its lacking the SP+ SP- pins

radiantsvgun

They call him Mr. Windy
15 Year Member
Well I figured that plug went into the Sound Out not Sound In, so then that begs the question where are the cabinet speakers hooking into ?? Sorry for the noob question its just that on the NVS pinout its lacking the SP+ SP- pins

When you plug in that connector, you're tapping into the model 3 amp. It handles the mono amplification/pass through. As long as the amp isn't needing a recap it will work.

Geekman1222

Kula's Candy
When you plug in that connector, you're tapping into the model 3 amp. It handles the mono amplification/pass through. As long as the amp isn't needing a recap it will work.

recapping will be fairly simple I have done alot of that kinda stuff. Im just trying to get my head around this conversion wiring abit, but that makes sense thank you

radiantsvgun

They call him Mr. Windy
15 Year Member
recapping will be fairly simple I have done alot of that kinda stuff. Im just trying to get my head around this conversion wiring abit, but that makes sense thank you

Correction, that plug goes to sound out. The sound in is for the stereo stuff that needs amped.