Now Thundercats are stupid

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
oh i get it. everyone loves rick and morty. so why not make a new thundercats but make it just like rick and morty!. genius!.

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
I know this is a unpopular opinion, but I might watch this more then that 2011 series. I didn't like the story in the '11 series which was disappointing since I did like the early '00 He-Man. This isn't supposed to be taken serious, so I might watch a few episodes .

Hell the 1st season of Teen Titans Go was entertaining. It wasn't till the 2nd and later seasons they went out of their way to piss off anybody older then 7.

godzilla43

Geese's Thug
2011 series were really good but maybe the later episodes started drag on a bit and the story did not move along. Well the first episodes were great anyway. I have zero interest on this. Stopped watching that creator video after a minute. No shame on that guy talks about how great the opening was on the original series and how much he loves ThunderCats and then does this kinda version on ThunderCats..

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
Manbuns are horrible, but that's possibly one of the worst manbuns I've ever seen. Someone needs to tie that fucker to a chair and to go down with a straight razor.

Also, I'm all for resurrecting old franchises with some new ideas and a fresh coat of paint, so long as it's good and pays respect to the original renditions. This is just an abomination.

Thundercats is not a freaking comedy. That animation style is awful, lazy, and overdone. Manbun.

I hope this dies a quick death.

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
Manbuns are horrible, but that's possibly one of the worst manbuns I've ever seen. Someone needs to tie that fucker to a chair and to go down with a straight razor.

Also, I'm all for resurrecting old franchises with some new ideas and a fresh coat of paint, so long as it's good and pays respect to the original renditions. This is just an abomination.

Thundercats is not a freaking comedy. That animation style is awful, lazy, and overdone. Manbun.

funny thing is it's probably going to catch on and everyone's going to love it.

they did the same with teenage mutant ninja turtles when nickelodeon rebooted it in. they turned the turtles into a kid friendly comedy and every one loved it. even old time turtles fans was saying it was better than the original.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
That TMNT show had the benefit of excellent writing though. It wasn't all jokes, Leonardo gets vengeance and straight up cuts Shredder's head off.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
The first TMNT animated series was BY FAR the most kid-oriented. The one from 2003 was the darkest.

Viewpoint

Art of Typing Wiz, , ,
20 Year Member
This is just fucking terrible. TumblerCats is all I'm thinking of with that awful art design. Who the hell greenlighted this crap?

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
Who the hell greenlighted this crap?
someone who is about to make a million bucks

the only reason i'm actually upset is because i fucking hate the animation and art direction. after you put out like a 5th show that looks exactly the same as others (which are immensely popular) it starts to look cheap, too uniform, and you get the sense that the network is being dominated by a particular art style, which is really undesirable. Steven Universe is a show for pederasts and creeps.

like other reasonable people are saying everywhere, YA'LL aren't the target audience, but I get it because WHY thundercats? Kids may be the target demographic, but kids don't know what the fuck a Thundercat is, so they could have easily just made a stupid show about a cat guy who has a sword. My guess is its meant to solidify programming as the majority of the population will reminisce with their kid about the original Thundercats, watch it with them, and the new show will be a bonding experience that nets $$$.

FAT$TACKS

Not Average Joe., Not Average Homeowner., Not Aver
15 Year Member
OR it could just be a lack of creativity and they still have the rights to produce a show for that IP due to what ever contract they had got during the last run of it they did and they are trying to milk the property for all it is worth before they loose it. Possibly it could be one of those deals that they would have lost it if they didn't have a show come out, as I've seen that sort of thing before too.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
I mean that does look like hot garbage but they can shit on Thundercats all they want. It was only ever a paper-thin premise to sell toys. Like most 80s cartoons.

That said, why even bother? They have to know the 40-year-old Thundercats fanboys and furries are going to think it's shit and kids have no clue what Thundercats is. Why not just create something semi-original with the blob animation style like, you know, Steven Universe? I'd love to hear the business justification behind making something that has no discernible audience.

Edit: Wow, just saw the man-bun. That bundle of sticks explains a lot.

Last edited:

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
They should give all the old ips to Netflix/DreamWorks. Voltron kicked all kinds of ass.

Viewpoint

Art of Typing Wiz, , ,
20 Year Member
They should give all the old ips to Netflix/DreamWorks. Voltron kicked all kinds of ass.

Yeah I actually enjoyed the new Voltron on Netflix. Way more quality then this junk I'm seeing now with TumblerCats.

Tron

Test
15 Year Member

This but if the show catches on like what teen titans go did,uhh watch out :eek: It could then lead to the show being played to death then.About the only reboot that has turn out right for a 80's cartoon was,dreamworks voltron.

Last edited:

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
This is 110% correct. Alot of these 80s shows had an amazing intro, often not animated by the same company that did the actual show. Ghostbusters, Transformers and GI Joe are other great examples of this

Probably the best example of bad ass intro / shit show is Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors:

The other thing I would like to point out is that these new cartoons are not being made for 40 year old men, they're being made for children. Often times they will put in references to older versions of a series in the current ones, so the parents watching the show with their kids has something to relate to. That being said, you are not and will never be their target demographic.

Agreed 120%! :D Most of these "classics" were cynical marketing ploys to sell toys.

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
Probably the best example of bad ass intro / shit show is Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors:

Agreed 120%! :D Most of these "classics" were cynical marketing ploys to sell toys.

In the early 00's, I was buying the DVD box sets of all of these shows as they were being released. A rather large portion of it is unwatchable. Awful animation, no plot, and like you said they're just half hour toy commercials.

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
I loved Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors and the toys with all the interchangeable parts/wheels/weapons were awesome. If I re-watched the show now would I think it sucked? Maybe, but I don't care. It's a shame that the toys' human vehicle drivers did not resemble the show's characters at all (they were just generic dudes instead of Jayce, the old wizard dude, the Han Solo dude, the girl, and the crazy knight) and the Monster Mind vehicles couldn't transform into plant humanoids like on the show.

ForeverSublime

6400|!!|Kyo Clone
20 Year Member
In the early 00's, I was buying the DVD box sets of all of these shows as they were being released. A rather large portion of it is unwatchable. Awful animation, no plot, and like you said they're just half hour toy commercials.

Unboxing vids were so much cooler in the 80's.

Gaston

Mature's Make-up Artist

Wow, I completely forgot about this show. Can't remember what the hell it was about, but it did a great job of convincing my younger self that I NEEDED these toys! Thanks for the memory!

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
I loved Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors and the toys with all the interchangeable parts/wheels/weapons were awesome. If I re-watched the show now would I think it sucked? Maybe, but I don't care. It's a shame that the toys' human vehicle drivers did not resemble the show's characters at all (they were just generic dudes instead of Jayce, the old wizard dude, the Han Solo dude, the girl, and the crazy knight) and the Monster Mind vehicles couldn't transform into plant humanoids like on the show.

This is probably because the toys were on the market before the show was ordered by Mattel to support their Wheeled Warriors toy line up. The studio fleshed out the characters and created some semblance of a story. The toys were a cool concept but didnt translate as well as others to work as an animated series.

And yeah, just rewatch the intro, skip the show ;)

Last edited:

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
Yeah, the Wheeled Warriors toys probably preceded the cartoon, which doubtlessly accounts for the differences. The figures were way off (well, the blobby little green plant brain things that were the "drivers" for the villains' machines worked in my opinion), but, the toy vehicles themselves were surprisingly on-model.