Audio Breakout RGB Cable - SSDS3

RevQuixo

Rugal's Panther
20 Year Member
DdcLB0tW4ActifB.jpg

If anyone is looking to keep their RGB mod functional and use the CD Audio through the SSDS3 I recommend this audio breakout cable from @Arithmaldor on twitter.
It properly grabs the audio from the SSDS3 and the video from the console. Very professionally made with multi-core cabling and true stereo wired MD2 audio.

https://tinkerplunk.com/super-sd-system-3-cables/

I got mine yesterday and it works great. It doesn't eliminate the audio buzz issue, but anyone who isn't happy about the video output on the SSDS3 now can bypass it easily.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Seems rather pointless since it only solves half of a problem that barely exists.

RevQuixo

Rugal's Panther
20 Year Member
Seems rather pointless since it only solves half of a problem that barely exists.

Plenty of people have complained about the quality of the RGB output..especially with Revision 1. This removes it from the equation and only taps the SSDS3 board for audio. Is it niche, sure? Is it pointless? Probably not.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Plenty of people have complained about the quality of the RGB output..especially with Revision 1. This removes it from the equation and only taps the SSDS3 board for audio. Is it niche, sure? Is it pointless? Probably not.

Modding the SSDS3 seems like a better idea. Has anyone looked into adding isolated RGB and audio outs?

SavagePencil

Crazed MVS Addict
There is allegedly a way to route the audio from the SSDS3 back to the console and out the standard A/V jack. It will require a bridge (jumper wire?) and software updates to mix the stereo CD audio down to mono.

RevQuixo

Rugal's Panther
20 Year Member
Modding the SSDS3 seems like a better idea. Has anyone looked into adding isolated RGB and audio outs?

Plenty of people who are smarter than me own units right now and no one has isolated the problem or come up with a fix.

Tech&Music

Another Striker

The retards spending hundreds of dollars on marginally better video (don't get me wrong, I like RGB on a nice CRT as well, but not that extremely), can get their console RGB modded to their liking and finally shut up about the SSDS3 having teensy tiny bits of interference no one else would give a shit about, so that's at least something good this cable does for the rest of the community.

Although, I do hope Arithmaldor used the best videophile grade cables, cryogenically frozen in Tibetan monk urine, else it will definitely not pass the videophile sniff test! :thevt:

SavagePencil

Crazed MVS Addict

That was my thought, too, but someone on the TO forum said that’s how it works in a legit system?

Anyway the connector bus only has a pin for mono feeding back in. And someone said it would *NOT* work on the original white PCE.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Yeah, that's how it works on the real systems. In a real CD setup you need to pull audio from the CD systems RCA jacks for proper audio.

mistahsnart

New Challenger
I'm hoping the blown out audio issue gets sorted. I'm good with the video output quality via SCART, but I feel like I'm in the minority of prioritizing audio fidelity over video. Even on my CRT setup, I have a nice hifi audio solution, and it's unfortunate that it sounds so poor compared to my Duo.

It's funny: so many people focus on these things having emulation quality video output (which is nuts to me), but don't care that the audio is worse than what you would've gotten back in the 90s.

Last edited:

neozeed64

n00b
The retards spending hundreds of dollars on marginally better video (don't get me wrong, I like RGB on a nice CRT as well, but not that extremely), can get their console RGB modded to their liking and finally shut up about the SSDS3 having teensy tiny bits of interference no one else would give a shit about, so that's at least something good this cable does for the rest of the community.

Although, I do hope Arithmaldor used the best videophile grade cables, cryogenically frozen in Tibetan monk urine, else it will definitely not pass the videophile sniff test! :thevt:

Ahh but does it truely solve the video problem? If the interference is introduced into the digital and audio ground plane, I would think it feeds right back into the console and effects it's outputs as well.

neozeed64

n00b
I'm hoping the blown out audio issue gets sorted. I'm good with the video output quality via SCART, but I feel like I'm in the minority of prioritizing audio fidelity over video. Even on my CRT setup, I have a nice hifi audio solution, and it's unfortunate that it sounds so poor compared to my Duo.

It's funny: so many people focus on these things having emulation quality video output (which is nuts to me), but don't care that the audio is worse than what you would've gotten back in the 90s.

Agreed, audio quality on a cd system is its biggest selling point. Especially on an old system that measures its data in kb other than audio and video. RGB video quality is nice , but back in early 90s I may have maxed at svideo but I still had everything connected to a killer sound system.