Neo Geo CD Pad Controller - white plastic pieces in D-Pad how to extend?

superfry63

Kuroko's Training Dummy
I've recently brought a Neo Geo CD pad controller back from the dead, by following the methods mentioned on this site. (opening microswitch or just soaking in something like deoxit if its not too bad.)

One thing I noticed is that the white pieces (see picture) have been worn so far down it affects the clicking noises of the switches.

The switches all sound great, but you can push way to far in all directions, which will omit the "return to center" click.

Has anyone ever tried to extend these plastic pieces before or maybe put something in the way? Currently the spring is actually triggering the switch instead of the white part hitting it.

Also, if anyone has some "spares" of these x4 parts I would be interested.

Thanks,
dpad.PNG

Last edited:

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
The click comes from the metal dome in the switch, not the actuator. Also there are two versions of the NGCD pad. Yours is the cornerless one, the one with the longer plastic piece is the square gate version.

J-P

NEST Puppet
The click comes from the metal dome in the switch, not the actuator. Also there are two versions of the NGCD pad. Yours is the cornerless one, the one with the longer plastic piece is the square gate version.

What he said. You have to prize those white plastic parts out of the blue box - inside you'll find the metal domes. They must be 'very lightly' cleaned to remove the oxidization (like, you have to be seriously careful). Then you replace and clickety-click is back. I've replaced them with domes from an OEM GBA-SP before and it worked.

Also - I hear that these are a direct swap for those switches (TSE 8S). If you do go in and repair, a good idea is to apply some silicone grease after you do a wash/clean-up for extra longevity.

Last edited:

superfry63

Kuroko's Training Dummy
Thanks guys, all my domes are clicking - only had to open up one of the blue switches and I got it back together really well.

Would you guys have any comparison pics of the "cornerless" vs "cornered" dpad setups? On both my NGCD pads, they boards are the same from what I can tell but the one just has way longer white pieces. I'm guessing the previous owner did some sort of frankenstein job.

superfry63

Kuroko's Training Dummy
Going to 3D print these next week, will let you know how it goes. Might even be able to ship a few out if anyone needs them.

3d print.PNG

I don't have a picture of my other Neo Geo CD Pad, but it's exactly the same as the pic from the first post, but the white bits are as long as the ones in the 3d print pic.

As Xian Xi mentioned, the click comes from the little domes inside the switches, but when the white plastic bits are not long enough, you can push the joystick so much farther out, when it returns to the center it will affect the "return click". Well at least on my pads.

For example, if i stop myself from going to far in one direction and return to the center, both click are super loud, vs just 1 or 2 muffled ones. Everyone's pad is probably a bit different.

Last edited:

CZroe

Zero's Secretary
Going to 3D print these next week, will let you know how it goes. Might even be able to ship a few out if anyone needs them.

View attachment 50410

I don't have a picture of my other Neo Geo CD Pad, but it's exactly the same as the pic from the first post, but the white bits are as long as the ones in the 3d print pic.

As Xian Xi mentioned, the click comes from the little domes inside the switches, but when the white plastic bits are not long enough, you can push the joystick so much farther out, when it returns to the center it will affect the "return click". Well at least on my pads.

For example, if i stop myself from going to far in one direction and return to the center, both click are super loud, vs just 1 or 2 muffled ones. Everyone's pad is probably a bit different.
Awesome! My twin bro modeled and 3D printed replacement doors for an AES and I was about to suggest the same thing. :) It also came in useful for printing a replacement coin cell battery door from Thingiverse for my Neo Geo Pocket Color. These things are a God-send for our aging hobby!

superfry63

Kuroko's Training Dummy
Whoa, completely forgot to update this thread.

Basically I got the parts 3d printed for free, but they came out way too large. Like easily x6 too big.

I have no experience editing these 3d print files, (nor did i create these files - they where on thingverse but then dissapeared) but I can send them to anyone who would like to try to make them smaller. PM me or just reply back here.

titchgamer

Guerilla Warrior
Whoa, completely forgot to update this thread.

Basically I got the parts 3d printed for free, but they came out way too large. Like easily x6 too big.

I have no experience editing these 3d print files, (nor did i create these files - they where on thingverse but then dissapeared) but I can send them to anyone who would like to try to make them smaller. PM me or just reply back here.

You should be able to scale it in you slicing software.

As long as you know what the original size should be just keep scaling it down until the measurements are correct on the slicer.