Votes: 17 21.8%

Votes: 2 2.6%

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • X

Votes: 16 20.5%

• Total voters

suicidekiller

Host for Orochi,
Many of the Slug 3 ideas have already been developed for Slug X as you can see in the debug mode of X. But then they decided to remake 2 and had a lot of ideas left for the sequel hence the 'marathon' that is Slug 3.

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
IMO 2 Turbo and 1 have the just right feel for pacing and difficulty. 2 Turbo just gives you a little more.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Many of the Slug 3 ideas have already been developed for Slug X as you can see in the debug mode of X. But then they decided to remake 2 and had a lot of ideas left for the sequel hence the 'marathon' that is Slug 3.

Thanks for the info, sk! It puts things in a different perspective. Which reminds me: we have to meet again. Let's synchronize clocks.

suicidekiller

Host for Orochi,
Thanks for the info, sk! It puts things in a different perspective. Which reminds me: we have to meet again. Let's synchronize clocks.

Absolutely. It's been over half a year already, time flies... I'll send you a message these days.

Oh and I voted Slug 1 by the way ;)

WoodyXP

Setsuna's Owl Keeper,
15 Year Member
The original is my favorite. It was a well thought out game that didn't have all the craziness that the later installments had.

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
5 has absolutely awful music, that and the incredibly slow sliding move just ruin the game.

suicidekiller

Host for Orochi,
5 has absolutely awful music, that and the incredibly slow sliding move just ruin the game.

Are you kidding? I would dare to say it has the best soundtrack of the whole series. The metal style rocking OST is very unique to the Neo.

I'll give in on the gameplay though which is rather dull with next to no hidden bonuses as they could be found in previous installments. In other words it offers next to nothing new.

But the soundtrack is awesome!

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
I know it’s been done to death but it hasn’t been done in a while and I would like to see if it has changed in anyway.
Metal Slug 1 is the best, as it's a reasonable proposition to 1cc. You can consistently do well every time you play it.
With Metal Slug 2, Nazca made it much harder (mainly the final stage of it), as they knew the first Slug was too easy for an arcade game. Slug 2 has more unpredictable enemy patterns- it's harder to beat Slug 2 just by following patterns, as you can for Slug 1. But my next favorite after 1 would be 2, as the slowdown makes it the next easiest after 1 to 1cc. Without a doubt, my least favorite of the Neo Geo installments is Metal Slug 5. Playing 5, it feels like it's just another platform game, it doesn't feel like a Metal Slug game, for some reason.

Last edited:

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
Are you kidding? I would dare to say it has the best soundtrack of the whole series. The metal style rocking OST is very unique to the Neo.

I'll give in on the gameplay though which is rather dull with next to no hidden bonuses as they could be found in previous installments. In other words it offers next to nothing new.

But the soundtrack is awesome!

It's the one game I can think of with a soundtrack I'd describe as "noise". Man, there's zero melodic quality to be found there, it's just a mess of noise. What Metal Slug needs is a soundtrack like F-Zero X. Metal, but still sounds like music and not static.

capnd77

Marked Wolf
MS3 - After many years away from 2D gaming, I was just so blown away that the NEO GEO was capable of pulling off the level of visuals and fluid animation that are present in MS3. It's the reason that I wanted to grab a NG console so badly and the reason that I've fallen down the SNK rabbit hole.

MS2 - When I finally decided to grab a NG console I initially went the NEO CD route and my first title was Metal Slug 2. I put countless hours into this one so it's got a special place in my heart.

MSX - MS2 with improved slowdown and variation in levels, I'm in!

MS5 - After constantly hearing that MS5 was a weaker game in the franchise, I just mostly ignored this one. When I finally picked it up, I was pleasantly surprised and have grown to really love the game. When I decided to finally grab an MVS cart I thought to myself "this probably won't be too expensive, after all it's not as good as MS3 or MS2" Fuck was I wrong...

MS1 - Definitely a classic, but I played it after MS3, 2 and X so It didn't have quite the impact that it probably had for most of you NEO GEO vets that were around when it was initially released.

MS4 - Definitely the weakest of the bunch, but at the end of the day it's still a Slug game and in all reality still a competent game. Shit this would have been a classic on any other console.

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
The original is my favorite. It was a well thought out game that didn't have all the craziness that the later installments had.

It's a tough choice between 1 and X for me, you are 100% right about 1.

Five is obviously rushed/unfinished but it needs more love than it gets. I don't think it's the best game, but it's better than 4 and unlike 3, I actually play it every now and again. Three is a beautiful game but it's just too much and too over the top. Two is for people who can't handle X.

cr8zykuban0

Igniz's Servent
Really dig metal slug 5 for the soundtrack but nothing beats the original so metal slug 1 will be my top pick

Mr. Mort

Another Striker
Five is obviously rushed/unfinished but it needs more love than it gets. I don't think it's the best game, but it's better than 4 and unlike 3, I actually play it every now and again. Three is a beautiful game but it's just too much and too over the top. Two is for people who can't handle X.

Agreed on all counts.
My fave is X, followed by 5 (yes, seriously), and then 3, 1, 4, and 2.

Most would probably disagree, but five reminds me of the first game in its pace and tone. It doesn’t overstay it’s welcome, doesn’t get too crazy like 3 does, and has a kick-ass soundtrack. Three is great, and it’s gorgeous, but as previously stated, it’s too over the top, and drags on a bit too long. You do get to vomit blood tho, and that’s pretty bad-ass.

radiantsvgun

They call him Mr. Windy
15 Year Member
What sick bastard voted for 4?

Some sadist. 4 can have some fun but a favorite? No.

I'm not sure, but a ban is in order.

giphy.gif

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
I was tempted to troll vote for 4, but couldn't bring myself to it.

Metal Slug 1 is my favorite... although truthfully I've not played 4 or 5...

Ray

New Challenger
Close call between 1 and X for me. I feel 1 is a little too easy, so I went with X. 2 is also a great game, but it's slowdown is not very 2-player friendly.

By the way, I really wish 5 had a little more time in the oven. It could have been a classic if they just had the time to truly finish it. Still a really fun game to pop in from time to time.

Teluin

New Challenger
I only own #1 atm so this thread has been a great help to determine which ones to purchase. It seems actually going in order is the right call.