Neo Geo CD - Strangest Issue with Video outs

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Do you have any composite video at all coming from the yellow jack?

superfry63

Kuroko's Training Dummy
Do you have any composite video at all coming from the yellow jack?

Yes I do. Even a few weeks back before I had the scart cables but did the mod, both the composite and S-video outs work and still work as of last night.

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
The other signals are generated from RGB, if video itself was dead you'd get nothing. Did you check the cable and continuity on pins of the DIN connector?

superfry63

Kuroko's Training Dummy
The other signals are generated from RGB, if video itself was dead you'd get nothing. Did you check the cable and continuity on pins of the DIN connector?

I'm thinking you nailed it. I can check later tonight when I get home but I'm starting to think there is a bad connection going to that DIN connector. (not related to the Mod)

After googling this issue most people with video issues have lost all the video signal. Not just one but can still hear audio.

Apparently the Cap kit just arrived as well.

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
You should probably install the cap kit before you figure out the RGB problem, introduce several new variables.

superfry63

Kuroko's Training Dummy
You should probably install the cap kit before you figure out the RGB problem, introduce several new variables.

I actually enjoy how you jump back and forth from being helpful and then the classic one liners.

Keeps a technical thread interesting :)

superfry63

Kuroko's Training Dummy
Still working on the continuity checks,

but I found an old Sega Model 1 AV out (only RCA Mono and Video) plugged it into the Neo Geo CD Din port and - it works.

this connector only uses/has pins 1-5 on the Din. Not sure if that helps narrow down the issue or not.

I can plug in this AV cable, plus the yellow RCA and they both output fine.

When I plug in the Scart Cable and the yellow RCA, the scart is still "No Sync" on the ossc but the other Yellow RCA, becomes black and white and the sync is all messed up (scrolling)

Not sure wtf that means lol

Last edited:

superfry63

Kuroko's Training Dummy
After much testing I figured it out.

It was a few settings you have to manually set with the OSSC. Maybe in the future it will be automatic, but see below:

If you cannot get a picture with your AES or Neo Geo CD console try the following settings:-

H-PLL pre and post coast - 3
Hsync tolerance - 10us (or higher)

One thing however, I am currently running it with the Sync On Luma as the CSYNC feed produced video but it's so dark.

@Neo Alec does your CDZ have any brightness issues running off the CSYNC mod? What RGB CSYNC cable are you using? any caps in it etc?

Cheers everyone/.

Neo Alec

20 Year Member
No brightness issues.

Were you using the resistor and cap mentioned at the end of the opening thread post?

superfry63

Kuroko's Training Dummy
No brightness issues.

Were you using the resistor and cap mentioned at the end of the opening thread post?

Doh! In the confusion I never tried that. Makes sense though. All other CSYNC stuff usually had that 220uF cap in the mix and the resistor.

What Voltage did you use on the cap? 6.3-16v?

Neo Alec

20 Year Member
I don't know. I used whatever I had.

superfry63

Kuroko's Training Dummy
Found out my cap was 16v.

When they're all in a kit it can be hard to remember what I used.

Awesome thanks - I actually just finished putting everything back together after recapping it and just cleaning up the whole system inside and out. I'm still just running it off Sync on Luma ATM but the next time I open it up and have a cap like that handy I'll give it a go.