MVS Collecting Lifespan

aldo0109

n00b
Hi all.

I’m a bit late to the Neo Geo party but after all the years of only being able to afford to dream, I’ve just bought myself a CMVS and I’m starting to order a few carts.

I’ve got Garou MOTW and FF2 so far and was checking the boards when I noticed that FF2 has a mix between masked and EPROMs.

Ive looked into the differences so I didn’t have to put myself in the firing line by asking you all on here, but I was wondering if anyone was starting to see their carts dying out on them now?

From what I’ve read, people were suggesting 25 years as an average for cartridge games but there aren’t many threads after 2011.

I know boards with all masked Roms will (in theory) last longer, but wondered what sort of lifespan we were looking at as prices for carts are quite high again and I don’t want to overpay for carts that can’t be saved.

Any feedback or advice would be gratefully received!

Thanks

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
These carts will all die soon. Be prepared.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.

We haven't seen evidence of this beginning to happen yet. I would estimate the failure rate is currently well under 1%.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.

We haven't seen evidence of this beginning to happen yet. I would estimate the failure rate is currently well under 1%.

Your wrong, all mvs carts will die within the next 2 years. I have foreseen it.

aldo0109

n00b
We haven't seen evidence of this beginning to happen yet. I would estimate the failure rate is currently well under 1%

I like this answer best, it depresses me a lot less than RAZOs answer, lol!

Once they do start to give up on us, is there anywhere/anyone who can bring them back from the dead? I’d much prefer to collect original carts but if I’ve pretty much missed the boat in terms of lifespan then I’ll prob have to think about the NeoSD route.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
All my 2600 carts still work and some of those were my dad's 13 years before I was even born.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
We haven't seen evidence of this beginning to happen yet. I would estimate the failure rate is currently well under 1%

Once they do start to give up on us, is there anywhere/anyone who can bring them back from the dead? I’d much prefer to collect original carts but if I’ve pretty much missed the boat in terms of lifespan then I’ll prob have to think about the NeoSD route.

Sure, just replace the roms.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Your wrong, all mvs carts will die within the next 2 years. I have foreseen it.

:keke:

ROMs can be replaced easily. Even SMD chips such as PCM can be swapped out from donor boards. Bad traces can be repaired, etc. Thankfully, we have multiple tech savvy guys in the US that can diagnose and fix most issues.

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
The biggest thing is making sure they aren't exposed to unstable air, unstable voltage or suffer water ingress.

MCF 76

Vice's Love Slave
10 Year Member
I opened up 3 of my AES carts two years ago, the findings were grave I'm afraid. It seems that bit rot, unstable air, thermal cycles and the last one that contributed you are not going to believe. "Latex glove residue"of all things had worked their magic over time it ate the chips traces & contacts up like a cancer.

So if I were you, you had better have the "forensic test" done, i think the Neo store does this. Just to be sure your collection hasn't contacted this irreversible oxidation process.

P.S. if you suspect a cart has this remove immediately from your collection because it is contractable to other carts if they are displayed side by side.

Last edited:

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
All my 2600 carts still work and some of those were my dad's 13 years before I was even born.

This is exactly what I was going to say.

I guess it depends on how they were taken care of, and how you take care of them. I doubt many will corrupt anytime soon, so just keep an eye on the PCB. I opened all my MVS carts a few years ago and was surprised that some of them had exposed traces. I sold all my collection off recently after getting a NeoSD.

I think by the time it's actually an issue you will be dead, or on the verge of death and not care.