Amplifier question - has anyone used this?

Lime2K

Host for Orochi
Hey all,

I have a Crazy Taxi cab that has keeps blowing out its right channel speakers :very_ang:. I am considering just pulling the naomi amp, transformer, and lowpass amp (pretty sure the transformer is an incorrect replacement, it doesn't look like any other one I have seen online) and replacing it with this:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/TPA3116-50...er-Power-Amplifier-Board-US-W0Y7/152613282976
powered by a 12w 5a adapter.

Has anyone used this amplifier before? Alternatively, do you have other suggestions?

The speakers in the cab are 2x 8 ohm 5 watt wired in parallel for the L/R channels, and the subwoofer is 4 ohm 30 watt.

Last edited:

Lime2K

Host for Orochi
So, a little update:

I won an original model Crazy Taxi machine from the 'bay that had been wired to output the left-channel audio through both front speakers and the subwoofer audio through both rear speakers and the subwoofer. It was a conversion cab, so I thought that the operator who did the conversion had screwed up. (I had to replace the power switch and added a PC power jack to the machine to fire it up at all...) :P

So I traced the audio lines, connected the L/R from the amp to the L/R front and rear, and ended up blowing out my two right-side speakers. :very_ang:

I bit the bollet and bought the amp in the above post, got a 24v 6a brick adapter from amazon to run it, and wired it into the speakers in the cab, after removing the stock audio power transformer, amplifier, lowpass filter and subwoofer amp.

Tested it with two speakers and sub on Tuesday (not running the machine, just powering the amp directly), while waiting for speakers to arrive, and it worked bretty gud. Mounted it to the wood component board where the old amp was.

Today, I got my new speakers. Here's what I ended up doing today:

• Put new speaker in right-side front.
• Lost one of the speaker screws in the monitor housing and almost had an aneurism until I found it 20 minutes later.
• Made a 3-pin molex to female PC power cord adapter to run amp power brick inside of the cabinet (pulling from the molex that was connected to the old amp transformer).
• Trim down the bezel of the back right gullwing speaker case to fit the new speaker because the new speaker's outer edge wasn't as deep as the original. (The new one worked just fine in the front in spite of that, though)
• Put the gullwing box back onto the seat.
• Crossed my fingers, toes, and other body parts... and turned it on.
• Didn't hear anything, and realized attract mode sound was still off from before. Went into test mode and turned it on.
• Still didn't hear anything. Volume was all the way down on new amp board, duuuuuuuuh. Played with them a bit and....

Spoiler:

SUCCESS!!! :buttrock::buttrock::buttrock:
My only complaint right now is that I am unable to use the volume pots built into the machine to adjust the new amp (the new board uses stereo pots, and the originals are both mono and the wrong resistance) but the board is right under the seat, so it's only two screws away from being accessible.

Incidentally, I am looking for one of the catches for the seat lock, as one of mine was broken off. I think it is part #DYN-2004. I already found somewhere to get the seat latches that go with it. If anyone knows someone who has one, hook a brother up!

I will note that I was a dumbass and didn't take pics of any of the work I did, but if you have questions, I'll happily help as best I can!

Geekman1222

Kula's Candy
I have not seen anyone use this amp board, if you get it and turns out good let us know ! :D

Lime2K

Host for Orochi
I had it running for about an hour last night, and it was barely warm, and it works like a champ. Easily able to power 2 8 ohm 5 watt per channel in parallel, plus the subwoofer. I wouldn't recommend powering it from the main cabinet PSU (as the naomi's 12v line only runs about an amp). I bought a 24v 6a brick from amazon. I will note that the subwoofer volume is relative to the main volume setting, so you can't turn up just the sub.
Overall, I'm quite happy with the result. Just gotta get the lock bits, new leveler feet, and maybe get LEDs for the marquee and coin lamps (and of course they're 6v and not 12v like EVERYTHING ELSE uses).

Lime2K

Host for Orochi
Why are you running the speakers in parallel? That would mean it's only in mono. Also, these speakers are a perfect drop in replacement for any Uni/Net/New Net. You wouldn't have to shave anything down.

Its not a candy cab, I have a Crazy Taxi '99 standard, the sit-down cabinet (The 2002 version doesn't have the subwoofer). Sega used this style of cabinet for a lot of Model 3 games too. It uses 4 3x5 shielded speakers (2 left channel, 2 right channel) and one subwoofer under the seat. The seat speaker boxes were made for speakers that have a 1/4" depth of the lip, and the only ones you can get anymore are 1/8" deep, so I needed to trim the inside edge. You can't see it from the outside, and if by some miracle someone goes to replace it with an original it'll still fit.

Last edited: