Installed unibios with NeoBiosMasta and all hell broke lose! help!

Macab0ne

n00b
So today I get home from work and in the mail box waiting for me is a nice shiny new unibios 4.0, since my NeoBiosMasta came a few days ago I figured it would be a good time to pull the motherboard out and get to soldering. The NeoBiosMasta made the job so easy it only took about 10 min to get everything hooked up and back together. I took the motherboard back to the cab and plugged in good old Real Bout 2 and it booted up as normal, I held ABC and the unibios menu came up...great it works! I figured it would be a good idea to put a little hot glue over the solder points as extra strength. I power down the cab, take the game out, unhook the jamma harness and take the mother board back to the bench for a little glue. I put a few dabs of glue on the board and head back to the cab hoping to enjoy the new power my neo-geo holds! But instead I was greeted with this mess.View attachment 50154 After a few seconds of seeing that it came up with thisView attachment 50155 I tried turning it on and off cleaning the whole mother boards etc. Some times it would show the jumbled screen some times it wouldn't, sometimes it would give ram errors and some times it would give the illegal instruction screen. Some times it would let me boot in AES mode but nothing but a black screen would come up and if I held ABC to pull up the menu it would flash the menu but it wouldn't stay up or let me access it but ABCD would always let me pull up the memory card menu. It all seems so random, anyone have any ideas? it seems far fetched that a little hot glue would mess things up or blow up the ram. Here are a couple more screens that come up when booting.20180510_170956.jpg20180510_171052.jpg20180510_173935.jpg20180510_173943.jpg

If anyone has any ideas I would greatly appreciate it, or if you think its shot and time to get a new board that would be good to know too instead of pulling my hair out trying to figure it out.

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
Hot glue is not stronger than solder. I assume you've tried reseating the NBM?

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
I had a similar problem with a uni-bios before where it was the uni-bios malfunctioning. I only realized this was the problem by swapping out the unibios into another motherboard.If you have a 40 pin mvs stock bios handy,remove the unibios and swap in the stock bios and see what reults you get
BB

Last edited:

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
What mobo are you using? When I installed a NBM w/VMC in a MV1C there was no soldering required.

My best guess is the ghost of drakkon possessed your system when you performed a hot glue conjuring.

Macab0ne

n00b
It is an mv-1b motherboard. The only soldering was the two wires going to the NBM and disabling the old bios...well drakkon needs to find something else to possess! He must not have heard me say the anti possession incantation before the ritual.

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
I could use one of those myself right now. I only have have the 2 wire version right now myself... The best thing to do is remove the smt bios completely that way if you get ahold of the NBM w/VMC it's easy for anyone to swap out.
BB
What mobo are you using? When I installed a NBM w/VMC in a MV1C there was no soldering required.

My best guess is the ghost of drakkon possessed your system when you performed a hot glue conjuring.

NeoTurfMasta

DANCE DANCE KARNOV!,
20 Year Member
BB, NTM has 'em back in stock.

I dont have any VMCs in stock right now, just regular NBMs.

You may want to re-enable the on board bios and see if it will boot back up. Raz may have info on the error message.

Last edited:

Macab0ne

n00b
NTM, yes I think that is my next move. I was just hoping someone would see my issue and say "hey idiot you did this wrong" haha thanks for all the help guys.

Razoola

Divine Hand of the UniBIOS,
Staff member
20 Year Member
Really not sure whats happening here. I do not think it is the bios for a couple of reasons (no bios error) and the workram error. This kind of points to something more hardware related, maybe something interfering as data is fetched from RAM. Have you tried cleaning the 68k before reseating the biosmasta?

Do you have an EPROM programmer?

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
Use a multimeter to check that your two wires are connected to the right spots. Check the neighboring pins everywhere you soldered to make sure nothing's bridged.

Macab0ne

n00b
Thank you everyone for all your suggestions I really do appreciate all the help! I was pretty sure it was a hardware issue when I was troubleshooting and now I am 100% sure as my clumsy ass just ripped the 20 pins pad off the mother board. Time to hunt down another motherboard I guess. :annoyed: Raz, will this unibios work with any motherboard or do I need to get another MV-1b? I am really looking forward to trying it out.

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
Post a pic of your hot glue work, we might be able to see what's wrong.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Reseat the NBM, make sure its flat around the 68k

NeoTurfMasta

DANCE DANCE KARNOV!,
20 Year Member
Thank you everyone for all your suggestions I really do appreciate all the help! I was pretty sure it was a hardware issue when I was troubleshooting and now I am 100% sure as my clumsy ass just ripped the 20 pins pad off the mother board. Time to hunt down another motherboard I guess. :annoyed: Raz, will this unibios work with any motherboard or do I need to get another MV-1b? I am really looking forward to trying it out.

Shoot me an email from your PayPal receipt. I'm not sure which order is yours.

Razoola

Divine Hand of the UniBIOS,
Staff member
20 Year Member
Yes it will, although I think you should try and repair first.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member

Did you rip 20 pins or just the pad for pin 20? If it's just the pad for pin 20, that's an easy fix.