Universe Bios 4.0 MVS/AES released!

Razoola

Divine Hand of the UniBIOS,
Staff member
20 Year Member
It's finally here...

After over 2 years of waiting version 4.0 of The Universe Bios is here. This year is SNK's 40th anniversary so it seems really fitting to release v4.0 in the same year.

Big new feature in this version (PICKnMIX) and lots of other new things, changes and fixes also. While there has been alot of testing I'm really hopeful nothing has got broken.

MVS owners, when upgrading from previous Universe Bios version check your Universe Bios general settings are set as intended after install as options have altered.

See below for the complete list of changes.

___________________________________​

WHATS NEW IN VERSION 4.0
---------------------------------

To mark the version 4.0 milestone of the Universe Bios I have given it a slight facelift. Some menu layouts are changed and colors used on the splash screen and default colors for the in game menu have changed. This is done to try and replicate the gold coloring on the AES and Joystick shells. You still have the ability to customise colors of the ingame menu if you wish.

Additions

• PICKnMIX MVS/AES (requires the correct 161-in-1 multicart).

This feature will use the many games on the multicart to turn the system into the ultimate multislot. It may also work on MVS multislot systems but please insure all other cart slots are empty. The only hacked version of a game used from the 161-in-1 is SNK vs CAPCOM Plus.

See www.universebios.com/picknmix.html for more information and how to use.

A special thanks to 'ack' for exstensive bug reporting and testing on multislot hardware, also 'miisalo' and 'RockstarRunner' for MVS and AES testing.

PICKnMIX IS A TOTALLY UNSOPPORTED FEATURE given the nature of the multicarts.

• NeoSD related (v1.06 or later firmware required).

The following two additions require the ROM 'sfix.sfix' to be placed into the root directory of the NeoSD's SD card. These fixes are not possible without a NeoSD.

On AES hardware, when in arcade mode, the 'how to play' screens of NAM-1975, Baseball Stars Professional and Mahjong Kyo Retsuden will have correct graphics.

On AES hardware, when in USA arcade mode, the classic 'winners don't use drugs' screen will have correct graphics in all games apart from Garou, Matrimelee, Metal Slug 3, Metal slug 4, SNK vs Capcom, The King of Fighters 2000 and The King of Fighters 2003.

Added a NeoSD color theme for the ingame menu (choose bank '03' in the menu color changer).

• Added new option to disable the daily, weekly and monthly hiscore reset to MVS backupRAM.

This option is enabled by default (Universe Bios general settings) but can be switched off if you want hiscores to clear as game maker intended. The following games are affected;

Code:
    Aggrs of Dark Kombat  Ninja Combat             Trash Rally
    Art od Fighting       Ninja Commando           Twinkle Star Sprites
    Art of fighting 2     Over Top                 Wind Jammers 
    Art of Fighting 3     Quiz King of Fighters    World Hereos
    Blues Journey         Spin Masters             World Hereos 2
    Crossed Swords 2      Sonic Wings 3            World Hereos 2 Jet
    Ghost Pilots          King of Fighters 2001    World Hereos Perfect
    Magician Lord         King of Fighters 2002    Zintrick

Due to the change around of some options to make this possible I advise MVS users check the options in the Universe Bios 'general settings' to confirm they are set as intended.

• In a games softDIP settings (test mode), pressing 1UP start will reset the DIPs to default.
  • Added English translations for Japanese games that had Japanese only SoftDIP settings.
  • The Universe bios can now detect a 18Mhz overclock (hopefully).
  • Added 'Fast Verify' support to PC-2-NEO (USB only).

Changes

• Changed splash screen and main menu colors, NeoGeo logo is now Gold.
  • Changed the default colors of the ingame menu. You can still choose old colors and edit colors if required by using the ingame menu color changer.
  • Made the In Game Menu and Main Menu more responsive to joystick and button input.
  • There are now five colors you can adjust on the ingame menu color changer.
  • Optimised Code that applies game cheats to memory.
  • Made testmode entry graphically cleaner (less glitching).
  • Made the cabinet softDIP 'Game Select' default to 'Free' instead of 'Only when credited'.
  • Now says 'NGH' instead of 'ID' in the game cart crc check.
  • Improved the 'no cheats in database' message.
  • The main memory viewer (testmode, exception error, hardware error) should now open on the first slot with a game (multislot hardware).
  • Improved the MVS cart version of kof2001 when in console mode. The games menu should no longer glitch from time to time. Also removed the vertical borders on the options screen.

Fixes (some of these very minor)

• Fixed an issue introduced in Unibios v3.1 which caused any set softDIPs to reset after using the soft reboot option on AES haedware.
  • Fixed ingame menu colors saved to memory card from getting corrupted.
  • Fixed AES version of Metal Slug 3 showing the red warning screen when run in Arcade mode.
  • Fixed 'AOF3' from showing the console mode menu when in arcade mode on AES hardware.
  • Fixed V-Liner crashing when the coin entered or select pressed.
  • Fixed overclock info sometimes incorrectly showing after exiting softDIPs (after soft reset).
  • Fixed possible graphic corruption in the testmode main menu if the calendar chip is faulty.
  • Fixed red screen flash when bios draws 'how to play' in early games (issue in original bios).
  • Fixed Top Players Golf from allowing debug DIP editing (game does not have any).
  • Fixed minor graphical glitch entering the ingame menu color changer.
  • Fixed missing values in patch and debug dips editing if game is an original MVS KOF2003.
  • Fixed glitching on cart check entry if game King of Fighters 2003.
  • Fixed glitching when exiting ingame menu if game King of Fighters 2003.
  • Fixed Splash screen and menues if game is MVS version of kof2003 on AES hardware.
  • Fixed Splash screen and menues if game is kof 10th anni extra plus on AES hardware.
  • Fixed font in jukebox and cart check if game is MVS version of kof2003 MVS hardware.
  • Fixed font in jukebox and cart check if game is kof 10th anni extra plus on MVS hardware.
  • Fixed 'King of Gladiator' hack throwing a warning screen when running in arcade mode on AES.
  • Stopped language softDIP showing when in Japan region for games SamSho 4, 5 and 5 Special.
  • Stopped Street Hoop's 'team select' softDIP showing when in Japan region.
  • Stopped gfx curruption on splash screen (at power on) when the 161-in-1 multicart used.
  • Hopefully fixed corruption exiting the ingame menu on a 18Mhz overclocked MVS/AES.
  • Hopefully fixed corruption in the General settings Menu on a 18Mhz overclocked MVS/AES.

Hiscore saving (memory card)

• Added HS saving support for Football Frenzy.
  • Added HS saving support for Goal! Goal! Goal!
  • Added HS saving support for Stakes Winner.
  • Added HS saving support for Stakes Winner 2.
  • Added HS saving support for Real Bout Fatal Fury (Korean).
  • Fixed Neo Bomberman hiscore saving (old HS save will need deleting).
  • Fixed Quiz Diasousa Sen so hiscore displayed during game at top is now correct.
  • Fixed Puzzle Bobble so it now shows correct hiscore table during first attract mode cycle.
  • Fixed Puzzle Bobble 2 not saving the last part of the HS table.

Cheats

• Renamed all 'AES Infin Credits' cheats to 'Infin AES Continue'.
  • Korean games now show correct game in the cheat menu (if different than English names).
  • Corrected Strikers 1945 Plus game name in the cheat menu.
  • Added Real Bout Fatal Fury (Korean) cheats.
  • Added Infinite AES Continue cheats to Blues Journey.
  • Top Hunter cheats improoved. They now work on all worlds. Also, keeping D pressed will disable the gun and ammo cheats (while D pressed) for that player.
  • Renamed all 'Always Score 00' cheats in football games to 'Always No Score'.
  • Knights Chance now reconigsed by the in game menu (no cheats though).
  • Other minor cheat naming issues here and there.
  • Added cheats for Older Power Spikes II (only 'Infinite Iime' cheat atm).

CRC database

• Added older Power Spikes II CRC (MVS, CRC reported for RAM region - 0x8FACDE4C)
    Not currently in MAME, Japanese region game name is 'Super Volley 94'.
  • Added alternate Metal SLug 3 CRC (0x9763419E).
  • Added alternate V-Liner CRC (V0.7E 0x49A94DB5).
  • Added alternate V-Liner CRC (V0.53 0xE263DCE8).
  • Added alternate V-Liner CRC (v0.7A 0x052F93ED).
  • Added alternate Garou CRC (AES).
  • Added alternate Pochi and Nyaa CRC.
  • Added Last Resort prototype CRC.
  • Added alternate Burning Fight prototype CRC.
  • Added alternate King of the Monsters 2 CRC.
  • Added Real Bout Fatal Fury (Korean) CRC.
  • Added alternate Blues Journey CRC.
  • Added alternate Samurai Shodown V CRC.
  • Added alternate World Heroes 2 CRC.
  • Added alternate Sengoku 3 CRC.
  • Knights Chance is now reconigsed by the CRC checker (reported as custom).

Last edited:

poutine

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
Awesome Razoola, PICKnMIX is an amazing feature :)

Could I ask if there are any updates in the pipeline for the Neo Geo CD Unibios, or is now as good a time as any to buy it?

Thanks again :)

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
Awesome Razoola, PICKnMIX is an amazing feature :)

Could I ask if there are any updates in the pipeline for the Neo Geo CD Unibios, or is now as good a time as any to buy it?

Thanks again :)

There are plans but its a long long way away.

Raz

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
After all these years I’ve still never tried a Universe BIOS.

Maybe now’s a good time to take the plunge.

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
After all these years I’ve still never tried a Universe BIOS.

Maybe now’s a good time to take the plunge.

It's worth it simply to be able to pause your game on mvs

ack

Ninja Combat Warrior
15 Year Member
awesome list of updates

-ack

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Bought. Also super glad to hear there are plans for an update to the CD bios. I don't care how long it takes, I'm just glad it's happening.

Evan

Fio's Quartermaster
Cool, too bad I just bought a version 3.2...:(

Damulta

Armored Scrum Object
Can't wait to get this installed in my AES. Used Unibios in mame over the years, but never in real hardware.

noir

Overtop Pathfinder
Great work. Looks like it's time for me to finally pick up a Universe BIOS.

aku

Loyal Neo-Disciple
what mvs base to choose for an omega or an analogue? MV-1C?

never changed the unibios in the analogue - is it as easy as changing the omega unibios?

overall: great work & i want to ORDER NOWZ!11

Last edited:

phoenixdownita

Cheng's Errand Boy
It's finally here...

[*]NeoSD related (v1.06 or later firmware required).

The following two additions require the ROM 'sfix.sfix' to be placed into the root directory of the NeoSD's SD card. These fixes are not possible without a NeoSD.

On AES hardware, when in arcade mode, the 'how to play' screens of NAM-1975, Baseball Stars Professional and Mahjong Kyo Retsuden will have correct graphics.

On AES hardware, when in USA arcade mode, the classic 'winners don't use drugs' screen will have correct graphics in all games apart from Garou, Matrimelee, Metal Slug 3, Metal slug 4, SNK vs Capcom and The King of Fighters 2000.

Added a NeoSD color theme for the ingame menu (choose bank '03' in the menu color changer).

Holy cwap .... nice, we get our cake and eat it too us AES owners .... hopefully that'll work also on the NeoSD Pro once available.

Can you elaborate as to why those few selected games will still not "bow to the winners don't use drugs" screen?

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
Can you elaborate as to why those few selected games will still not "bow to the winners don't use drugs" screen?

The neoSD has 512k for fix tiles. To get the 'winners dont use drugs' tiles in (which the AES does not have internally) the neoSD flashes sfix.fix into one of these banks and the bios then uses it.

The games that use the entire 512k by default thus cannot have the sfix.fix flashed (as it would corrupt game tiles).

3rdStrikeMike

Dodgeball Yakuza
10 Year Member
Awesome news!! Total agree with Fami. I am so glad a CD bios update is also in the works. Thanks for your hard work and continual support of the community.

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Nice work on KOF2001. All these specific game patches made me wonder if Puzzle Bobble 2 can be fixed to play the attract mode sound on AES hardware.

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member
Nice work on KOF2001. All these specific game patches made me wonder if Puzzle Bobble 2 can be fixed to play the attract mode sound on AES hardware.

I remember Raz saying that the attract sound not playing on AES is due to a lack of backup ram.

Martyr

n00b
Nice list changes and fixes, I think it might be time for an upgrade of my systems.

Last edited: