Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for recommendations

Super Spy Agent

Looking for recommendations

I suck at shooters. The only ones I've beaten are arcade games that I could just keep feeding quarters into, like Giga Wing.
    I freakin love em though. Gradius 3 is still one of my all time faves, though I absolutely cannot beat it without a game genie for infinite lives.

Got to the final stage of Blazing Lazers, and just never could get past it.

Any recommendations for less difficult shooters?
    Go ahead and tell me to get better, but after 25 years of gaming, I don't think that's gonna happen...

Cholecystectomy Required.

Quote Originally Posted by benjammin1701 View Post
    I suck at shooters. The only ones I've beaten are arcade games that I could just keep feeding quarters into, like Giga Wing.
    I freakin love em though. Gradius 3 is still one of my all time faves, though I absolutely cannot beat it without a game genie for infinite lives.

Got to the final stage of Blazing Lazers, and just never could get past it.

Go ahead and tell me to get better, but after 25 years of gaming, I don't think that's gonna happen...
    cyber core on the PCE is not a bad 1cc. it's the only one i've been able to 1cc in a very long time.
    "I am the master of my fate. I am the captain of my soul."
    Switch FC 0965 2531 6217

Quote Originally Posted by ObeyMyEgo View Post
    ggallegos1 Is a cock sucking faggot. That is all.

Thunder Force III
    Gaiares
    Gate of Thunder
    MUSHA
    Spriggan
    Final Soldier

to name a few.
    Quote Originally Posted by Skillzguy View Post
    I sometimes wish I didn't have Aspergers as I feel game related collecting would be a mild hobby rather than an obsession.

Super Spy Agent

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Panda View Post
    Thunder Force III
    Gaiares
    Gate of Thunder
    MUSHA
    Spriggan
    Final Soldier

to name a few.
    I have Thunder Force III, MUSHA.
    TFIII is still pretty difficult for me, but MUSHA is awesome.
    I like Truxton a BIT better than MUSHA, but it's only because the screen is so crowded in the latter.
    I've actually been looking for a copy of Gaiares for some time. Thanks for the recs!
    Cyber core was not on my radar, guess I'll have to check it out on emu and see if it's one I can handle!
    Forgot to mention, I have Aero Fighters 2 and Blazing Star for AES (love them both but obviously since BS has unlimited continues I can finish it).
    Last edited by benjammin1701; 04-30-2018 at 05:08 PM.

Kagami's Tailor

Seriously, you might "suck" at shooters because you're probably bored by them without realizing it.

Bomb bomb die, bomb bomb die, continue, bomb die, NEXT GAME bomb bomb die.

It feels semi-cliche saying this, but not continuing is really the only way to get truly acquainted with these games (and all arcade/style games).
    If you change your playing habits (which is tough at first) the pieces will slowly begin to fall together and you'll likely start experiencing a different type of fun..which in turn will give you more of a hunger to learn.

KP's list is certainly great as far as easier shooters go, but you might fare just as well by sticking to your favorites (OK gradius III AC may not be a good one for novices) and changing your approach, reading up, and watching legit video runs.

You may find yourself having an "oh that's what I've been doing wrong" epiphany (even if it's a matter of fundamentals) and a perspective/habit change could quickly follow.
    Last edited by andsuchisdeath; 04-30-2018 at 05:09 PM.

Rugal's Thug

Solid recommendations from Panda.

For NeoGeo shmups, my favorite is Last Resort. Not an easy game, but ... not really that hard. I always recommend Batsugun (Special v.) as a personal favourite. It's not that hard in the first loop. Also DonPachi / DoDonPachi. R-Type Leo is probably one of the easier R-Types... Outzone (and it's sequel 'FixEight') is fun and not crazy hard. And a crazy pick would be something like 'nitro-ball' by Data East (it get's stupid/cheap hard - but it's a fun game - kinda like Smash-TV).

If you're looking at Megadrive games I'd recommend Battlemania Daijingou (Trouble Shooter 2), just make sure you change the controls in the option menu (kind of like a side-arms / forgotten worlds style shooter). Aside from games Panda already listed I also liked Gleylancer, but it's not a popular choice (Gaiares is way better) - soundtrack is ace though. Talking of soundtracks ... Wings / Lords of Thunder are pretty epic. Not that hard either.

In terms of more modern stuff I'd recommend the steam version of Mushihimesama / 1.5 (it has novice modes which are very useful). If you like that, you can try any of the Cave games (ESPgaluda I / II and ESPrade as good 'introductory' games) ... I've been playing lots of Crimson Clover on steam (also has novice modes) which is very satisfying. Some interesting references in it to Layer Section / Rayforce (also highly recommend those).

Anyway - enough cockwaffle from me if that's TLDR - Here's the list form:
    Last Resort
    Batsugun (Special v)
    DonPachi / DoDonPachi (or DDP Resurrection on steam... has novice modes)
    R-Type Leo
    Outzone / FixEight
    NitroBall
    Battlemania Daijingou (Trouble Shooter 2)
    Gleylancer
    Lords of Thunder
    Mushihimesama / 1.5 (has novice modes)
    ESPgaluda I / II and ESPrade
    Crimson Clover (has novice modes)
    Layer Section / Rayforce

Some Sort of Brain Damaged Buddha terry.330's Avatar
    Shining like the sun and rocking green gators.

Quote Originally Posted by andsuchisdeath View Post
    not continuing is really the only way to get truly acquainted with these games (and all arcade/style games).
    What he said.

Get a game, learn how to play it. Like really play it. It will change your life.
    Spoiler:

instagrams: sapienart

Average Joe: Do you think the internet has ruined me?

Me: No, I think it's ruined all of us.

Crawley's Sergeant

Gaia Seed on the PS1 & Psychic Storm on the PCE CD have both a refilling shield system.

Harmful Park (PS1) is set to "Easy" on default, so you actually can accomplish a legit 1 credit clear on that one.

Verytex (Mega Drive) is quite beginner friendly and comes with a practical safe spot for the last boss.

Sylphia (PCE CD) could be worth a try.

The Saturn Mode of Radiant Silvergun, an otherwise very tough shooter, makes you stronger, the more you play it. Kind like collecting experience points in an RPG. Try it, too.

Franco's Trainer

Raptor. It's easy and worthwhile. You should be able to find it on any Abandonware site.

Belnar Institute Student

U.N. Squadron for SNES is very reasonable.

Steel Empire is on the easy side too. Especially the later versions (GBA, 3DS), but the Genesis version isn't that much harder.

Schlonginator II: Judgment Dong

Quote Originally Posted by WoodyXP View Post
    Raptor. It's easy and worthwhile. You should be able to find it on any Abandonware site.

Raptor is sweet. You can get it from GOG for a few bucks.

My recommendation is Deathsmiles on 360. The game is one of Cave's easier titles, and 360 mode is a little bit easier than that. It was my gateway drug into the world of modern shooters.

Crap they're tearing down the Palace of Auburn Hills. I guess it's I-75 & M-59 now.

Lot of truth in Asid's continue comments.

Part of the reason people fondly remember playing Galaga, Gorf, Phoenix, Asteroids, etc.

No continues.

always have to reccomend some twinbee.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kpj View Post
    Sometimes, the customer doesn't always KNOW what's right.

Let's see on the PC, Deep Space Waifu is pretty easy.
    Raptor/Tyrian is pretty decent shooter and I think has a free linux version.
    Gradius III on the SNES to seems a lot easier then the arcade/PS2 version.
    Versions can make a lot of difference, for example I have ran through the NES version of LifeForce many time when I was younger. Playing the version on PSP seems harder at later stages because there is a lot more on screen. Also gradius on the NES to me seems slightly easier than other version, but this maybe childhood bias. Parodius games vary in difficulty, but I would put them on the lower difficulty of the Konami shooters.
    Let's see Gunbird 2 aren't super hard, I played through to the end in my first go and didn't really struggle until the post boss walk back, I really enjoyed playing Gunbird and AeroFighters.

NAM-75 Vet

Star Parodia if you want easy.

Crawley's Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by geise View Post
    Star Parodia if you want easy.
    Very cool recommendation. It's also cool that Kaneko developed it, the team behind bare-knuckle games like Aero Blasters and Nexzr. Diversion for relaxation, I guess.

Paris-Dakar Rally Driver
    Dakar 2003

i will try steel empire !

Super Spy Agent

Thanks for all the recommendations!
    A friend sent me a copy of Steel Empire, and I do like that one.
    Aero Fighters II remains my favorite shooter that I find accessible, but Gradius V is probably my favorite shooter, period.
    Fun enough that I keep trying despite not being able to get very far.

Rugal's Thug

Deathsmiles is pretty easy I think. Mushihimesama Futari is not that hard until the end. These 2 games are relatively easy to get, you could try them.

You have been
    Officially WY'OWED!

Check out Space Megaforce and Axelay on SNES.
    Neo Geo AES #011035 #036442 | Neo Geo CD #0002814 | MVS Executive | Razion 1cc Club President
    ATTN NOOBS: Jamma Nation X makes the best CMVS & Superguns, PERIOD! | Unofficial MVS and AES Price Guide
    Quote Originally Posted by Karou View Post
    Non dilated pupils pic=Challenge. I got a hundred dollar cd.

Super Spy Agent

Quote Originally Posted by wyo View Post
    Check out Space Megaforce and Axelay on SNES.
    TRYING to find copies of those for reasonable prices.
    Just ordered R-Type III, can't afford to buy expensive SNES carts ALL the time!
    There's always emulators, but I'm one of those weirdos who grew up dirt poor and Jehovah's Witness (so NO birthdays or Christmas), and obsessed over the games everyone else had.
    Sooo...I really prefer to play on the real equipment.

TRYING to find copies of those for reasonable prices.
    Just ordered R-Type III, can't afford to buy expensive SNES carts ALL the time!
    There's always emulators, but I'm one of those weirdos who grew up dirt poor and Jehovah's Witness (so NO birthdays or Christmas), and obsessed over the games everyone else had.
    Sooo...I really prefer to play on the real equipment.
    Buy an everdrive then.
    Quote Originally Posted by Skillzguy View Post
    I sometimes wish I didn't have Aspergers as I feel game related collecting would be a mild hobby rather than an obsession.

Schlonginator II: Judgment Dong

Yup. I don't think any of the shooters require special chips.

NAM-75 Vet

If you can get to the end of Blazing Lazers you can easily do Space Megaforce like Wyo said. Also, get an everdrive as others mentioned for the stupid priced games. The Soldier series on PCE is also super easy, along with Override. Verytex is another super easy shooter on MD that is a cakewalk till the final boss.

Also, listen to everything ASID said.

King's Dry Cleaner

Quote Originally Posted by geise View Post
    If you can get to the end of Blazing Lazers you can easily do Space Megaforce like Wyo said. Also, get an everdrive as others mentioned for the stupid priced games. The Soldier series on PCE is also super easy, along with Override. Verytex is another super easy shooter on MD that is a cakewalk till the final boss.

Also, listen to everything ASID said.
    I was going to say 'why did nobody mention the rest of the star soldier series on PCe' bit you beat me to it. Blazing lazers eases you in the first two levels and then gradually increases in difficulty. Plus all bosses are (too) easy. Great series, great music and great fun.
    Last edited by Gaston; 05-18-2018 at 01:15 AM.
    Neo Geo AES JP serial #108523 | Super Neo AES JP serial #081188

Thread Information