Looking for recommendations

Gentle Ben

NAM-75 Vet
I suck at shooters. The only ones I've beaten are arcade games that I could just keep feeding quarters into, like Giga Wing.
I freakin love em though. Gradius 3 is still one of my all time faves, though I absolutely cannot beat it without a game genie for infinite lives.

Got to the final stage of Blazing Lazers, and just never could get past it.

Any recommendations for less difficult shooters?
Go ahead and tell me to get better, but after 25 years of gaming, I don't think that's gonna happen...

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
I suck at shooters. The only ones I've beaten are arcade games that I could just keep feeding quarters into, like Giga Wing.
I freakin love em though. Gradius 3 is still one of my all time faves, though I absolutely cannot beat it without a game genie for infinite lives.

Got to the final stage of Blazing Lazers, and just never could get past it.

Any recommendations for less difficult shooters?
Go ahead and tell me to get better, but after 25 years of gaming, I don't think that's gonna happen...

cyber core on the PCE is not a bad 1cc. it's the only one i've been able to 1cc in a very long time.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
Thunder Force III
Gaiares
Gate of Thunder
MUSHA
Spriggan
Final Soldier

to name a few.

Gentle Ben

NAM-75 Vet
Thunder Force III
Gaiares
Gate of Thunder
MUSHA
Spriggan
Final Soldier

to name a few.
I have Thunder Force III, MUSHA.
TFIII is still pretty difficult for me, but MUSHA is awesome.
I like Truxton a BIT better than MUSHA, but it's only because the screen is so crowded in the latter.
I've actually been looking for a copy of Gaiares for some time. Thanks for the recs!
Cyber core was not on my radar, guess I'll have to check it out on emu and see if it's one I can handle!
Forgot to mention, I have Aero Fighters 2 and Blazing Star for AES (love them both but obviously since BS has unlimited continues I can finish it).

Last edited:

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Seriously, you might "suck" at shooters because you're probably bored by them without realizing it.

Bomb bomb die, bomb bomb die, continue, bomb die, NEXT GAME bomb bomb die.

It feels semi-cliche saying this, but not continuing is really the only way to get truly acquainted with these games (and all arcade/style games).
If you change your playing habits (which is tough at first) the pieces will slowly begin to fall together and you'll likely start experiencing a different type of fun..which in turn will give you more of a hunger to learn.

KP's list is certainly great as far as easier shooters go, but you might fare just as well by sticking to your favorites (OK gradius III AC may not be a good one for novices) and changing your approach, reading up, and watching legit video runs.

You may find yourself having an "oh that's what I've been doing wrong" epiphany (even if it's a matter of fundamentals) and a perspective/habit change could quickly follow.

Last edited:

J-P

NEST Puppet
Solid recommendations from Panda.

For NeoGeo shmups, my favorite is Last Resort. Not an easy game, but ... not really that hard. I always recommend Batsugun (Special v.) as a personal favourite. It's not that hard in the first loop. Also DonPachi / DoDonPachi. R-Type Leo is probably one of the easier R-Types... Outzone (and it's sequel 'FixEight') is fun and not crazy hard. And a crazy pick would be something like 'nitro-ball' by Data East (it get's stupid/cheap hard - but it's a fun game - kinda like Smash-TV).

If you're looking at Megadrive games I'd recommend Battlemania Daijingou (Trouble Shooter 2), just make sure you change the controls in the option menu (kind of like a side-arms / forgotten worlds style shooter). Aside from games Panda already listed I also liked Gleylancer, but it's not a popular choice (Gaiares is way better) - soundtrack is ace though. Talking of soundtracks ... Wings / Lords of Thunder are pretty epic. Not that hard either.

In terms of more modern stuff I'd recommend the steam version of Mushihimesama / 1.5 (it has novice modes which are very useful). If you like that, you can try any of the Cave games (ESPgaluda I / II and ESPrade as good 'introductory' games) ... I've been playing lots of Crimson Clover on steam (also has novice modes) which is very satisfying. Some interesting references in it to Layer Section / Rayforce (also highly recommend those).

Anyway - enough cockwaffle from me if that's TLDR - Here's the list form:
Last Resort
Batsugun (Special v)
DonPachi / DoDonPachi (or DDP Resurrection on steam... has novice modes)
R-Type Leo
Outzone / FixEight
NitroBall
Battlemania Daijingou (Trouble Shooter 2)
Gleylancer
Lords of Thunder
Mushihimesama / 1.5 (has novice modes)
ESPgaluda I / II and ESPrade
Crimson Clover (has novice modes)
Layer Section / Rayforce

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
not continuing is really the only way to get truly acquainted with these games (and all arcade/style games).

What he said.

Get a game, learn how to play it. Like really play it. It will change your life.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Gaia Seed on the PS1 & Psychic Storm on the PCE CD have both a refilling shield system.

Harmful Park (PS1) is set to "Easy" on default, so you actually can accomplish a legit 1 credit clear on that one.

Verytex (Mega Drive) is quite beginner friendly and comes with a practical safe spot for the last boss.

Sylphia (PCE CD) could be worth a try.

The Saturn Mode of Radiant Silvergun, an otherwise very tough shooter, makes you stronger, the more you play it. Kind like collecting experience points in an RPG. Try it, too.

Pretty Amy

Loyal Neo-Disciple
10 Year Member
U.N. Squadron for SNES is very reasonable.

Steel Empire is on the easy side too. Especially the later versions (GBA, 3DS), but the Genesis version isn't that much harder.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Raptor. It's easy and worthwhile. You should be able to find it on any Abandonware site.

Raptor is sweet. You can get it from GOG for a few bucks.

My recommendation is Deathsmiles on 360. The game is one of Cave's easier titles, and 360 mode is a little bit easier than that. It was my gateway drug into the world of modern shooters.

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
Lot of truth in Asid's continue comments.

Part of the reason people fondly remember playing Galaga, Gorf, Phoenix, Asteroids, etc.

No continues.

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
always have to reccomend some twinbee.

haightc

n00b
Let's see on the PC, Deep Space Waifu is pretty easy.
Raptor/Tyrian is pretty decent shooter and I think has a free linux version.
Gradius III on the SNES to seems a lot easier then the arcade/PS2 version.
Versions can make a lot of difference, for example I have ran through the NES version of LifeForce many time when I was younger. Playing the version on PSP seems harder at later stages because there is a lot more on screen. Also gradius on the NES to me seems slightly easier than other version, but this maybe childhood bias. Parodius games vary in difficulty, but I would put them on the lower difficulty of the Konami shooters.
Let's see Gunbird 2 aren't super hard, I played through to the end in my first go and didn't really struggle until the post boss walk back, I really enjoyed playing Gunbird and AeroFighters.

Gentle Ben

NAM-75 Vet
Thanks for all the recommendations!
A friend sent me a copy of Steel Empire, and I do like that one.
Aero Fighters II remains my favorite shooter that I find accessible, but Gradius V is probably my favorite shooter, period.
Fun enough that I keep trying despite not being able to get very far. :)

Spycee

Cheng's Errand Boy
Deathsmiles is pretty easy I think. Mushihimesama Futari is not that hard until the end. These 2 games are relatively easy to get, you could try them.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Check out Space Megaforce and Axelay on SNES.

Gentle Ben

NAM-75 Vet
Check out Space Megaforce and Axelay on SNES.

TRYING to find copies of those for reasonable prices.
Just ordered R-Type III, can't afford to buy expensive SNES carts ALL the time!
There's always emulators, but I'm one of those weirdos who grew up dirt poor and Jehovah's Witness (so NO birthdays or Christmas), and obsessed over the games everyone else had.
Sooo...I really prefer to play on the real equipment.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
TRYING to find copies of those for reasonable prices.
Just ordered R-Type III, can't afford to buy expensive SNES carts ALL the time!
There's always emulators, but I'm one of those weirdos who grew up dirt poor and Jehovah's Witness (so NO birthdays or Christmas), and obsessed over the games everyone else had.
Sooo...I really prefer to play on the real equipment.

Buy an everdrive then.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Yup. I don't think any of the shooters require special chips.

geise

Mickey's Coach
If you can get to the end of Blazing Lazers you can easily do Space Megaforce like Wyo said. Also, get an everdrive as others mentioned for the stupid priced games. The Soldier series on PCE is also super easy, along with Override. Verytex is another super easy shooter on MD that is a cakewalk till the final boss.

Also, listen to everything ASID said.

Gaston

Mature's Make-up Artist
If you can get to the end of Blazing Lazers you can easily do Space Megaforce like Wyo said. Also, get an everdrive as others mentioned for the stupid priced games. The Soldier series on PCE is also super easy, along with Override. Verytex is another super easy shooter on MD that is a cakewalk till the final boss.

Also, listen to everything ASID said.

I was going to say 'why did nobody mention the rest of the star soldier series on PCe' bit you beat me to it. Blazing lazers eases you in the first two levels and then gradually increases in difficulty. Plus all bosses are (too) easy. Great series, great music and great fun.

Last edited: