Getting a 2600 working on a new TV

MattBlah

Baseball Star Hitter
Scrap that. After years of trying I finally found the right option on my TV.

Last edited:

MattBlah

Baseball Star Hitter
I assume you modded it for Composite video, which (AFAIK) is the best you can get form a 2600?

I'm not really a modder, I just wanted to be able to play the thing. I found an analogue auto-tune feature hidden in the depths of the menus.

cat

It's Time Us Welsh, Stood on our own 2 feet, WEL_S
Yeah kaboom is a fab game but jeez it's hard, don't know if it's just me but i find that many of the games on the 2600 as well as the early micro's, nes, master system were and still are tough as nails and a real challenge.
Yar's revenge was my fav on the 2600 BTW, i played the shit into that cart when i had it for xmas many years ago.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
Yeah kaboom is a fab game but jeez it's hard, don't know if it's just me but i find that many of the games on the 2600 as well as the early micro's, nes, master system were and still are tough as nails and a real challenge.
Yar's revenge was my fav on the 2600 BTW, i played the shit into that cart when i had it for xmas many years ago.

There's a trick to Kaboom, you gotta lose a bucket right before you hit the extend. Once you get into a groove you can rock the game. Zen Like.

cat

Been years since i've played it KP, i think it would be perfect to play on a phone with the touch screen tec we got nowadays, swiping your finger back and fro across the screen to pick up the bombs.

ResO

water damaged
20 Year Member
I rarely play paddle controller games, with the exception of the far superior “Kaboom!” clone “Beat 'Em and Eat 'Em”. :drool:

2600 has some epic titles. The Activision games are typically pretty darn good, i’m also personally a fan of the Taiwanese Bit Corp releases.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
I assume you modded it for Composite video, which (AFAIK) is the best you can get form a 2600?

You can actually RGB mod it if you want:
http://etim.net.au/2600rgb/

I just play on my composite modded 7800 though. Wish I'd had the foresight to get it RGB modded but I didn't have a PVM at the time so it didn't seem important.

Get on Kaboom, one of the top 5 games on the system.

This man speaks the truth.

I rarely play paddle controller games, with the exception of the far superior “Kaboom!” clone “Beat 'Em and Eat 'Em”. :drool:

2600 has some epic titles. The Activision games are typically pretty darn good, i’m also personally a fan of the Taiwanese Bit Corp releases.
Yeah, it doesn't get much better than stuff like River Raid.

I do love me some Yars' Revenge, too. Probably my favorite first party Atari game.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
Yar's Revenge
Solaris - This one is my favorite
Starmaster
Kaboom
Crackpots - It's basically reverse Kaboom without the paddle control
Adventure - Level 3 difficulty
River Raid
Raiders of the Lost Ark - Insane game for the hardware
Atlantis
Missile Command
Asteroids
Pitfall
Seaquest - This game is sick at high levels
Warlords - Best four player game on the system
Berzerk - Damn good arcade port
Space Invaders - Another good port
Chopper Command - Much better than that garbage Atari calls Defender

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
The 2600 has a lot of unplayable shit, even more so than the NES, but the gems (hidden and otherwise) are still fun. I agree w/reso on the Activision games. Imagic games are usually a safe bet too.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
The 2600 has a lot of unplayable shit, even more so than the NES, but the gems (hidden and otherwise) are still fun. I agree w/reso on the Activision games. Imagic games are usually a safe bet too.

Dan Kitchen once said at a CES, "Look at all this garbage companies are passing off as games, this will be the end of games soon." This was in '83

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
Dan Kitchen once said at a CES, "Look at all this garbage companies are passing off as games, this will be the end of games soon." This was in '83

And it was. It's amazing Nintendo didn't revive the market and then once again kill it with all the shit NES games with their Nintendo quality seal.

Tw3ek

69Vapelord420
10 Year Member
River Raid and Mr Postman are top tier Atari. Honestly, Adventure isn't all that bad either, but I hope you like making your own map!

cat

Yar's Revenge
Solaris - This one is my favorite
Starmaster
Kaboom
Crackpots - It's basically reverse Kaboom without the paddle control
Adventure - Level 3 difficulty
River Raid
Raiders of the Lost Ark - Insane game for the hardware
Atlantis
Missile Command
Asteroids
Pitfall
Seaquest - This game is sick at high levels
Warlords - Best four player game on the system
Berzerk - Damn good arcade port
Space Invaders - Another good port
Chopper Command - Much better than that garbage Atari calls Defender

You're pushing my nostalgia buttons here big time with a few of these games kp, nothing i can really add to that list, maybe combat, a class line up of titles.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
You're pushing my nostalgia buttons here big time with a few of these games kp, nothing i can really add to that list, maybe combat, a class line up of titles.

Oh when you get into the two player games, there's some gems for sure. Combat is no fun 1p though :(

ForeverSublime

6400|!!|Kyo Clone
20 Year Member
Throw Dodge 'em into the mix.

2p 2600 games are excellent for resolving disputes.

MattBlah

Baseball Star Hitter
Thanks for all the suggestions. I really do need to pick up some more games for it as the ones I have aren't great.