MegaDrive/Genesis Wireless Controllers from Krikzz - "JoyZZ"

kuze

Sultan of Slugs
10 Year Member
Anyone try one of these new controllers from krikzz? Reminds me of the official Saturn wireless pad, but better (not IR based). I haven't purchased one yet but if the reviews are good I will probably snag one or two.

https://krikzz.com/store/home/52-master-everdrive.html

Reported 150 hrs per charge is pretty awesome if they actually last that long.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Interesting, price is a little steep but if they feel just like the Genny or Saturn 6 Button controller I might hop on it.

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
$65? I'll stick to a wired controller.

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
I bought one - will report back once it's in hand.

Thierry Henry

Tung's Hair Stylist
So what's the word on these?

A little high for me at the price, but I might just bite if they're as advertised.

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
The smokey clear ones look sexy. Price is about the same as the old IR wireless ones on Ebay. I’m interested, but would rather someone else was the guinea pig first.

pva

Overtop Pathfinder
So what's the word on these?

A little high for me at the price, but I might just bite if they're as advertised.

I haven't bumped into any professional reviews yet, but somebody posted their first impressions on SHMUPS. I don't think I'd be that bothered about the D-pad myself, as long as the wireless connection is problem-free, which it seems to be.

Plastic is high quality and does not crick and crack when the controller twisted, very solid.
Buttons have the right balance between clicky and mushy, very similar to modern controllers.
Rubber domes have excellent quality, really well done.
Buttons do not rattle, except the x,y,z buttons which are slightly looser.
PCB is very high quality as expected from Krizz.
The 2.4GHz wireless connection is rock solid and instantaneous, unlike bluetooth that takes time to sync.

Here are the shortcomings in my mind that hopefully fixed in the next revision:

The D-Pad is slanted only on the controller mold but NOT on the PCB, I think something went wrong with the controller or D-Pad mold.
I do not actually notice that it is slanted during gameplay, only when I look at it, so not big issue.

EDIT: The D-Pad shaft is slightly twisted in relation to the arrows, this is definitely a defect.
Not only the controller d-pad mold is slightly angles (by design) but the d-pad shaft too, combined result in a too much twist of the d-pad.
For 65$ I expect krikzz to fix this ASAP.

It passes the Street Fighter II moves execution test with flying colors.
It is the best Sega 6 button controller in my collection as of now.
Overall feels great and plays great, definitely recommended (after krikzz fixes the d-pad).

85/100 for d-pad defect.

Dochartaigh

Edo Express Delivery Guy
I read that mini review as well - I'm going to wait to see if anybody else has issues with the slanted d-pad (or if it's a non-existent problem). If others chime in that it's a non-issue I'll definitely pick one up (and hope they make a Saturn one next).

3rdStrikeMike

Dodgeball Yakuza
10 Year Member
I'm interested to see if the d-pad issue is the same on all of them or more of an isolated issue.

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
I'm a couple hours into using this thing

Pros:

-I can't detect ANY lag...at all.
-build quality is damn nice
-nice weight

Cons:

-built in Li-Ion battery, no idea how common or easy to replace it will be. [He says on his site it's a common battery, but I just wonder about 5 years from now]
-no micro USB cable included for recharging [minor gripe]
-shipped in an envelope. It's a miracle I even got it in one piece.
-price

Short version: it's really good so far. I am glad I got one.

I have the smoky clear one and I can't see the "twisted D-Pad" thing he talks about.

Last edited:

gusmoney

Unsure if You Asked, For a custom Rank, But Hell,
10 Year Member
Faggit on Shmups said:
The D-Pad shaft is slightly twisted in relation to the arrows, this is definitely a defect.

I have the smoky clear one and I can't see the "twisted D-Pad" thing he talks about.

giphy.gif

Last edited:

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Thanks for the impressions PJ. I might bite one one.

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
Thanks for the impressions PJ. I might bite one one.

I have zero buyer's remorse, so I would go for it. Maybe get the clear one in case he's hiding a defect in the opaque ones ;)

sparksterz

Camel Slug
I'm a couple hours into using this thing

Pros:

-I can't detect ANY lag...at all.
-build quality is damn nice
-nice weight

Cons:

-built in Li-Ion battery, no idea how common or easy to replace it will be. [He says on his site it's a common battery, but I just wonder about 5 years from now]
-no micro USB cable included for recharging [minor gripe]
-shipped in an envelope. It's a miracle I even got it in one piece.
-price

Short version: it's really good so far. I am glad I got one.

I agree on most of these points. I'm actually fine with the lack of cable, I have way too many. The d-pad is definitely twisted slightly. Though it also kinda is in line with the angle my hand holds it, so I'm really not too bothered.

By visual comparison it's easy to tell if looking at the relation to how parallel the horizontal is with the start button:

Joyzz

vs

Official 6 Button

Sorry about the lack of embed...forum tools don't seem to be working.

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
Though it also kinda is in line with the angle my hand holds it, so I'm really not too bothered.

Yeah, my controller looks less severe than the photo...I think...point is I assumed this was intentional in terms of ergonomics [because it feels "right"]. I feel like I even have some other 3rd party controllers for Gen that do the same thing.

Dochartaigh

Edo Express Delivery Guy
Yeah, my controller looks less severe than the photo...I think...point is I assumed this was intentional in terms of ergonomics [because it feels "right"]. I feel like I even have some other 3rd party controllers for Gen that do the same thing.

I think the first person to report this noticed that the pads on the circuit board itself are perfectly level (as in at 3, 6, 9, 12 o'clock) whereas the pad itself is crooked so he assumed it was a manufacturer defect.

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
I think the first person to report this noticed that the pads on the circuit board itself are perfectly level (as in at 3, 6, 9, 12 o'clock) whereas the pad itself is crooked so he assumed it was a manufacturer defect.

Oh weird. Yeah that's annoying.

kuze

Sultan of Slugs
10 Year Member
Thanks for the feedback pixeljunkie. Definitely going to snag a couple of these soon.

If the dpad annoys me I'll just drop in an OG one. Something tells me I won't notice or care though.

Azathoth

Galford's Armourer
20 Year Member

I have a generic PS3 pad modeled like a 360 controller that's 5+ years old that uses that same battery. When the battery died a year or so ago it was easy to find a cheap ($3) replacement but it died within a handful of months. They will probably be easy to locate within a few years but will probably only be available from low quality sources.

I wish he would have just went with AA or AAA batteries.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
The chinese love those little Nokia batteries but yeah, like Azathoth said it will probably be like getting Nintendo SP batteries now. Easy to find generics, but the OEM ones are drying up.