Activision made $4bn on micro transactions in 2017.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
https://www.gamespot.com/articles/activision-blizzard-made-4-billion-on-microtransac/1100-6456669/

Microtransactions are big business at Activision Blizzard. The company said today in an earnings report that revenue from "in-game net bookings," which include things like DLC sales, loot boxes, and in-app purchases on mobile games, reached $4 billion for 2017. During the fourth quarter alone, Activision Blizzard brought in over $1 billion for in-game net bookings. These figures represent quarterly and annual records for Activision Blizzard.

Importantly, as analyst Daniel Ahmad explained on Twitter, around $2 billion of Activision Blizzard's annual revenue from in-game net bookings came from the company's mobile subsidiary, King, which operates Candy Crush. The other $2 billion came from Activision Blizzard's console and PC efforts, along with Activision Blizzard's efforts on mobile such as Hearthstone.

Call of Duty: WWII offers microtransactions in the form of Call of Duty Points, which can be spent to unlock loot boxes that contain cosmetic items. Additionally, Activision recently launched the game's first paid map pack, Resistance. In Overwatch, players can spend money on loot boxes that contain things like skins and sprays. World of Warcraft has a significant in-game economy as well, as players can purchase things like mounts and pets for real money, among many other things.

Activision Blizzard is not the only publisher that makes a lot of money from microtransactions. Electronic Arts, which found itself in hot water regarding Star Wars: Battlefront II's use of microtransactions, reported $787 million in what it calls "live services" for the latest quarter.

Additionally, Grand Theft Auto and Red Dead parent publisher Take-Two Interactive said this week that GTA Online and NBA 2K18 recently set records for what the company calls "recurrent consumer spending." Take-Two CEO Strauss Zelnick at one time referred to GTA Online as "the gift that keeps on giving" as it relates to the money it makes from the game's microtransactions.

For Activision Blizzard, EA, and Take-Two, each company reported year-over-year gains for microtransaction revenue. While such systems can be highly controversial, it is clear that they are popular and people are willing and eager to spend.

I had no idea that people still play candy crush, much less pay to do so.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
Kids and casuals are their market now. Instant gratification is the order of the day. No one wants to become better at a game, they want to pay to win.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Kids and casuals are their market now. Instant gratification is the order of the day. No one wants to become better at a game, they want to pay to win.

Someone needs to tell this to SNKP, and have them rerelease puzzle games with a new transaction system.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Almost every wife I know still plays candy crush or something similar.

I am down to 0 games on my phone. Somewhere in the last few years they stopped being games, and were more fidget treadmill apps with DLC.

SpamYouToDeath

I asked for a, Custom Rank and, Learned My Lesson.
15 Year Member
Call of Duty 4 was the worst thing to happen to video games.

Ever since then, every single goddamn game is infected with a bunch of RPG horseshit, and now they're monetizing it too.

Activision is the devil.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Call of Duty 4 was the worst thing to happen to video games.

Ever since then, every single goddamn game is infected with a bunch of RPG horseshit, and now they're monetizing it too.

Activision is the devil.

I initially liked the progression systems added to FPS's, but then they became loot box grinds. no thanks.

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member

The worst of it is that they make the games super tedious and unbalanaced if you don't spend tons of money, so even if you want to "git gud", you can't.

Games are basically endorphin ransom now.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
You know what doesn't have microtransactions?

A SEGA Genesis.

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
i would microtransaction for a legitimate portable and expansive version of Puzzle Fighter. but no one will really do that. i'd want there to be extra characters with the same chibi Capcom artwork, etc. etc.

it would just end up being a big clusterfuck of Capcom, SNK, Super heroes, etc. etc. with lazy lo-res avatars instead of animated sprites.

rgarla.tn550

New Challenger
What I really don't get is that microtransactions in allot of these newer games, just makes it where you don't even have to play the game. Totally ruins the progression for anyone who doesn't want to shell out the $$$ and be a whale. Even in games that are supposed to be single player experiences.

Last edited:

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
gaming is totally ruined.. its best to just not even think about this type of shit, unless you have a specific interest in a certain game and you don't mind playing to play while other PAY to say.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
I play candy crush. I'm pretty LTTP. But I refuse to spend any money on that game.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
You know what doesn't have microtransactions?

A SEGA Genesis.

Buying cheat cartridges? Purchasing strategy guides? Fee-based hint hotlines? Codes revealed in chargeable print media? Or what about the micro difference of a John Madden '92 & John Madden '93? Yeah, just some trivia requiring another C-note.

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
Buying cheat cartridges? Purchasing strategy guides? Fee-based hint hotlines? Codes revealed in chargeable print media? Or what about the micro difference of a John Madden '92 & John Madden '93? Yeah, just some trivia requiring another C-note.

When you took that picture with Dion, did he shove something so far up your ass that it rattled your brain?

I ask because it sounds like you're having a stroke.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
When you took that picture with Dion, did he shove something so far up your ass that it rattled your brain?

I ask because it sounds like you're having a stroke.

He was fucked so hard by Dion and his crew he can't fucking talk properly. Oh well.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
lol why the fuck would you buy crates in overwatch and heroes of the storm? shit's all cosmetic, won't help your lack of skill and nobody ingame gives a shit how you look
lmbo

Last edited:

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
lol why the fuck would you buy crates in overwatch and heroes of the storm? shit's all cosmetic, won't help your lack of skill and nobody ingame gives a shit how you look
lmbo

If you can't be a Baller in real life might as well be one in a video game lol.

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member

yeah but that stuff is for actual chumps, and can be obtained second-hand somehow (easily) for free

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Also, at least with yearly release games (SF II revisions, Madden, whatever) you can go back and experience each one individually. These days it's all just one game that you constantly update or buy DLC for, and the final product is often leagues different than the original. Street Fighter V now is much different than what it was when it started, but KOF 98 will always be KOF 98. Can you imagine if SNK had just done a yearly DLC update for each KOF game? What would we have ended up with by the end?

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member

And the Sega Chanel.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
yeah but that stuff is for actual chumps, and can be obtained second-hand somehow (easily) for free

Back then it wasn't as cheap and while I agree, that it was for actual chumps to cheat, those cartridges were also used for import games. The latter demanded another micro transaction: you wanted to play japanese exclusives, you had to pay extra. You wanted to see the censored juvenile bath scene in Landstalker, you had to pay for the Action Replay code.

And the Sega Chanel.

Exactly, you either paid the Sega Chanel fees for Pulseman, or the import duties & mods to play the import version.