Consolized Neo Geo on Aliexpress, thoughts?

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
Thinks, or "knows" based on his research, that the neosd is overpriced, but is willing to pay $250 for a Chinaman CMVS with $75 worth of parts.

ChuChu Flamingo

We have purposely, trained him wrong, ...as a joke
10 Year Member
Thinks, or "knows" based on his research, that the neosd is overpriced, but is willing to pay $250 for a Chinaman CMVS with $75 worth of parts.

Which also doesn't have a buffer for the video outputs, think of the unstable voltage thermal cycles!

J-P

NEST Puppet
Couldn't agree with FR more.

Tough love noob. The members here are just trying to school your ass properly, because it's quite apparent (to us, maybe not you) that you don't know diddly-squit. On top of that, you're too lazy to 'research' the topic properly (on top of being thin-skinned). This subject (Flash carts prices, and Neo Geo being 'expensive') comes up so much - a you showing up out of nowhere 'asking' should fully expect to be royally rimmed. You should not be surprised about the thread direction, especially if you bothered to lurk a bit.

The 'my piece of Chinese shit is just as high quality as your hardware' argument doesn't stick. If you knew anything about circuitry you'd be able to see this thing for what it is. It's an MV-1C with a poorly put-together supergun strapped to it (that's the 'cheap Chinese shit' part). We all understand that.

This is why people are congratulating you on spending >$200 on a 'piece of shit'. It's simply dumb buying. An MV-1C is worth $60. the $140 or so you saved (if you got a standard MVS) could have then gone toward above mentioned supergun (which, a few respected members of this site make btw). Owning a half decent supergun also opens up the world of JAMMA boards to you - a whole other black hole of fun.

Next step is buying carts; which CAN be had for relatively cheap if you just want say - KOF 99 ($30 or so). Sit on that and play it for a bit, maybe learn some gameplay - some quality dollar saving later, you can splash out on a NeoSD.

It's not rocket science. It's why people are calling your shitty decisions out for what they are. The price of construction on the NeoSD is another topic that's been discussed... The FPGA's in that might cost $30-50 each, but what about the dev time? Pointless argument.

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
No one here is stupid enough to think the NeoSD isn’t being sold at a profit on the cost price of the literal parts.

But, NeoSD had to make their own AES / MVS moulds for the cartridges which isn’t cheap, and it took over a year of (part time) engineering to reach the market. Look at the tough time DarkSoft are having to keep up and understand that the NeoSD isn’t a simple job to bring to market.

You don’t want to spend $400 on one? You are entitled to your opinion. Maybe NeoSD will drop their pricing once they feel their R&D costs have been met in a year or two.

But if you think in the here and now the NeoSD offers bad value on a console with games reaching $30,000+, you’re a special case.

opt2not

Fu'un-Ken Master
10 Year Member
You know it’s a red flag when someone has to declare that they’re a classic gamer in their name.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
I posted this on Isozone this morning. Yet again, it seems he's just not getting it.

I'll be more than happy to fill you in on why it costs what it does. First off lets start with the PCBS, Those are custom sized pcbs unlike a normal NG cart, so there's paying for the molds for that. Then there is a lot more flash ram involved vs a Genesis or Super Nes cart. Speaking of which, how much is a SD2SNES? That's 200 bucks for that alone. Plus the FPGA which was also programmed by someone, people don't program for free. Then the custom shells that had to be made as well, you can't just take an AES mold because there isn't one. Let's not even go into the R&D of actually plotting out the device in a CAD program, which once again, isn't free. They are a business which employs not just a couple of guys, is the price high for an early adoption, sure, but how much were DVD players when they first came out? $800 bucks last time I checked. Unless you can make one yourself, you really can't decide what is "too expensive".
To be honest, a NeoSD is cheaper than buying a copy of Pulstar for AES, or a copy of Twinkle Star Sprites for MVS. Just because you've bought "many" flash carts doesn't make you an expert on what it costs to design, manufacture and market one. Aero Fighters 3 is broken on the 161-1 by the way. Garou is a proto version, it's not even the retail. Plus that cart is full of hacks and bootlegs. Really man, do your research before you make baseless statements.

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
Wow the old saying is true since he seems quite blissful.

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
Also, it's funny he thinks people are ripping on him because he's new.

If you had not made this thread and A) posted in the existing thread or B) posted this in the introduction section, reactions would be vastly different.

But you didn't and whined elsewhere...not a good start.

Okay, so why exactly is the Analogue Super Nt able to be sold for $229 after shipping?. Everything about the Super Nt is custom, they are produced in batches and I'm pretty sure they had to make a mold for the housing. The FPGA chip was programed by ONE guy to function exactly like the Super Nintendo hardware with some added features and there is a jailbreak firmware for it to work like a flashcart from the SD card slot. The RetroUSB AVS is also a FPGA based system and is $185, these are full blown hardware clones built from the ground up using FPGA which I would guess to be far more complicated than a flashcart. But what do I know right?, I'm just an idiot.

Last edited:

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
Okay, so why exactly is the Analogue Super Nt able to be sold for $229 after shipping?. Everything about the Super Nt is custom, they are produced in batches and I'm pretty sure they had to make a mold for the housing. The FPGA chip was programed by ONE guy to function exactly like the Super Nintendo hardware with some added features and there is a jailbreak firmware for it to work like a flashcart from the SD card slot. The RetroUSB AVS is also a FPGA based system and is $185, these are full blown hardware clones built from the ground up using FPGA which I would guess to be far more complicated than a flashcart. But what do I know right?, I'm just an idiot.

Did you notice the NeoSD has two distinct PCBs whereas those full consoles only have one? Not to mention the massive amounts of costly RAM and flash memory needed for Neo Geo ROMs, unlike NES and SNES games which barely use any. Try to picture the NeoSD as buying both a RetroUSB AVS and Analogue Super NT, the costs increase dramatically with each PCB with FPGA and RAM/flash chips.

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member

Wrong, friend.

You're a classic gamer.

123►Genei-Jin

Overtop Pathfinder
I find it funny how he keeps bringing Everdrive costs when Krikzz himself (the man behind the Everdrives) said at some point he would never make a Neo-Geo flashcart due to how difficult and expensive it would be for him to develop such a cart and how expensive it would be to sell.

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
A Honda Civic is around $20,000. There's no reason a Ferrari should cost more than that. Fact.

Did you notice the NeoSD has two distinct PCBs whereas those full consoles only have one? Not to mention the massive amounts of costly RAM and flash memory needed for Neo Geo ROMs, unlike NES and SNES games which barely use any. Try to picture the NeoSD as buying both a RetroUSB AVS and Analogue Super NT, the costs increase dramatically with each PCB with FPGA and RAM/flash chips.

Yes I'm well aware that the NeoSD has two PCB's, RAM chips that tiny is not THAT expensive, are you kidding me?.. Go look up kb and mb ram chips. All I've been saying is I don't agree with its pricing currently and some folks got SUPER offended that I don't think its worth the current price of nearly $500, you can justify it any way you like but how many of you have actually bought one to support the guy that makes them?

And to you other guys I didn't say anything about EverDrive's in my last post and completely ignored what I said, which means I made a point.

You're damn right I'm the Classic Gamer :smirk:

Damulta

Armored Scrum Object
Yes I'm well aware that the NeoSD has two PCB's, RAM chips that tiny is not THAT expensive, are you kidding me?.. Go look up kb and mb ram chips. All I've been saying is I don't agree with its pricing currently and some folks got SUPER offended that I don't think its worth the current price of nearly $500, you can justify it any way you like but how many of you have actually bought one to support the guy that makes them?

And to you other guys I didn't say anything about EverDrive's in my last post and completely ignored what I said, which means I made a point.

You're damn right I'm the Classic Gamer :smirk:

Are you going to post outside of this thread? Just wondering

Tech&Music

Another Striker
The only remote competitor to the NeoSD, the Darksoft Multicart, is/was slightly more expensive than the NeoSD. Do you really think that if Terraonion overpriced their product, Darksoft wouldn't use that and price their product competitively lower? Nope, they would make a loss on their products. This is simply a result of the cost of R&D, especially when it comes to FPGA programming and reverse engineering Neo Geo carts, which are much more complex than ye olde MegaDrive's carts. Your whole "the parts aren't that expensive" tirade leads to nothing, if this was the case with everything we bought, we'd be spending a hell of a lot less on electronics and other products, but we're not as R&D and marketing do cut into profits, especially with something as niche as Neo Geo.

That niche-ness also adds much more research time, because the Neo Geo simply is less documented technically-wise than say, the SNES (as you mentioned Analogue NT), simply because the SNES has way more interest due to the fact way more people grew up with an SNES in their house than a Neo Geo, so only rich kids and avid arcade fans got exposed to the NG. Thus, less interest means less development, which means less documentation, and that in turn results in more research and more costs.

The Chinaman multicarts are cheap, because they hacked it up in the cheapest way possible, omitting FPGAs and using significantly lower quality components in order to cost and R&D cut to the extreme, which results in glitchy games, and essential games missing because they can't get them to work at all. That, and with China having fewer employee's rights, they can probably significantly underpay employees, which also helps, something Western companies making these carts can't, and shouldn't of course. That combined does end up in a $60 product, but one that isn't going to get you all the Neo Geo favorites, or games that run 100% as intended. It's like buying a $60 smartphone, it'll work, but not very well. Does that make all $200+ smartphones overpriced? It would be in your argument.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Eat me. Must be nice to have mommy and daddy buy you everything eh? ;)

Ahah yeah no but they must've bought you that 161in1 because only a fuckwit with no understanding of the worth of a dollar would pay what you did.