Sega CD/Saturn replacement case rivalry

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
Buy 1 get 1 free on Amazon.

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
What I always failed to understand was why, in the US and Europe, both Sega and Sony didn't just use regular CD jewel cases like they did in Japan.

From a cost perspective it would have been much cheaper to use standard CD cases, and easier for the consumer to replace broken ones.

Trying to find OG nos Euro PS1 and Dreamcast cases is a bitch. :mad:

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
What I always failed to understand was why, in the US and Europe, both Sega and Sony didn't just use regular CD jewel cases like they did in Japan.

From a cost perspective it would have been much cheaper to use standard CD cases, and easier for the consumer to replace broken ones.

In the US it was about theft. They knew you were going to steal no matter what, but you could only get so many in your pants. Really, that's the reason here. It's why when cds first came out here and were like 30 bucks a pop they were in huge display boxes.

ridepic1-large.jpg

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
In the US it was about theft. They knew you were going to steal no matter what, but you could only get so many in your pants. Really, that's the reason here. It's why when cds first came out here and were like 30 bucks a pop they were in huge display boxes.

ridepic1-large.jpg

Over here retailers generally only used to put empty boxes on the shelves. I believe that's still the case (no pun intended) today.

Ray

New Challenger

In Europe's case I think it was done to accommodate the larger multi-language manuals. I've seen Japanese games using a larger case as well, they are basically a slightly thicker normal jewelcase and are just as much of a nightmare to replace.

Unfortunately though, even normal jewelcases are a bitch. Buy new ones today and you'll find they are made with much worse standards than they were in the late 90s, they took off 10-20 grams of plastic and will not fit correctly if you mix them up with older jewelcase parts.

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
It's why when cds first came out here and were like 30 bucks a pop they were in huge display boxes.
I had read that it was so CDs could fit in existing record bins/racks at stores. I still have a few of those OG longboxes from BITD.