Sega CD/Saturn replacement case rivalry

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
If LRG put up $150k just for molds, I am afraid to ask how much they will charge for this.

I read somewhere that they were shooting for $10 per case. I'm not sure how accurate that is.

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
I'm pretty sure Toshinden on PSX was in the Saturn style case too.
It came in both styles of long box.

I read somewhere that they were shooting for $10 per case. I'm not sure how accurate that is.
I would buy a couple. My Battle Arena Toshinden Remix case got broken while I was moving to Chicago, and my Virtua Fighter 2 case was broken upon purchase. Actually, sometimes you can get a pretty good deal on shit with a broken case, as ya'll know, so I welcome the ability to buy fresh replacements

Last edited:

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
I guess MK3 was released in a Saturn style case, too, but I could never find that game to begin with.

snes_collector

NAM-75 Vet
10 Year Member

From what I understood that is a higher grade one with plexiglass that will be available. The other guy has them 10 $30 shipped right now ($40 shipped after for future batches) I assume LRG's price will be closer to that. I can't believe the molds cost 150k- that is a huge investment that I'm not sure there will be enough demand for.

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Here's Jenovi's review of the VGC ones. I like how they look, but the fact that they don't close right is a major drawback. Hopefully they fix it.

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
"The effects of gravity will continue to wear on those manuals."

Another YT autist.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Here's Jenovi's review of the VGC ones. I like how they look, but the fact that they don't close right is a major drawback. Hopefully they fix it.

98% will just sit on a shelf so it doesn't really matter. $30 for 10 sounds like a solid deal. I would purchase them if all my cases weren't already in nice shape due to swaps back when the games cost pennies.

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
~ * ReTrO ImPrEsSiOnS * ~

jesus fuck, i hate the world

Viewpoint

Art of Typing Wiz, , ,
20 Year Member
There's a debate about this!?!? Hahaha, oh my :lolz:
Hello, the 90's called, I guess every one of the millions of PS1 and Dreamcast games out there with a replaced jewel case is a half a repro now.

What will gamers whine about next?

I'm all about the complete and clean for my games, but worrying about replacement plastic cases and value...it's not like they're reprinting artwork. What a stupid 'debate'.

I'm honestly not surprised in the least about a debate about this. Remember, We have people here that have seriously tried to put a value to plastic manual baggies.

I forget the 1st person who tried to start a thread about that but I remembering tearing him a new asshole for that autistic bullshit. lol

ChuChu Flamingo

We have purposely, trained him wrong, ...as a joke
10 Year Member
Yeah because laying them down flat would be a crime.

Their fine if you store them vertically. Its when you store them horizontally disc on bottom, manual on top.

The shitty foam helps to prevent that warping but most people threw that shit away. The real benefit to having the foam is when you ship these cases, the disc can often become dislodged. It also gives the front of the case some much needed structural support to prevent the paper mache front from breaking. I never really cared for the foam, but the few games that have it do seem stronger than those without. Might just be me.

What is even worse is that some games had different thickness foam too, mainly the working design games.

Last edited:

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
What about those thermocol slabs made of expanded polystyrene? Those AliExpress sellers don't even know the difference between XPS and EPS. Any serious NES collectard knows that the different manufacturing processes of the two types of polystyrene insulation can have a huge effect on the long-term performance. Damn!

JoeAwesome

I survived Secret Santa, It wasn't Easy.,
What about those thermocol slabs made of expanded polystyrene? Those AliExpress sellers don't even know the difference between XPS and EPS. Any serious NES collectard knows that the different manufacturing processes of the two types of polystyrene insulation can have a huge effect on the long-term performance. Damn!

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
Oh no, repro foam!? :eek:

How can I tell if my foam is legit?

I'm going to be offering a Sega CD foam authentication and grading service. For an extra $25 I'll encase your foam in a plastic box that can never be opened, that way your investment in original Sega foam is protected.

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
can you seal my brain in sega foam so that i dont die

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Surprised he would go with Amazon Fulfillment (or Amazon at all) as his primary distribution channel. Their fees are expensive for a niche product.