Sega CD/Saturn replacement case rivalry

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Good read, thanks for posting. The collector that put up his own money would get my business if I was in the market for replacement cases.

Limited Run Games spent $150,000 making molds in the US instead of $8000 in China because they were worried about intellectual property theft of an intellectual property they didn't create. LOL, that's insane for such a niche product.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
So the real question is, will they mark these as being repros? Will OG cases now double the value of a game?

“I remember bringing a copy of Guardian Heroes over to a friend’s house, and I actually had the case slip out of my hand,” he said. The game, made by the acclaimed developer Treasure, was hard to find and worth about $100 back in 2012, when he dropped it. “It fell about one foot to the ground, and the hinge snapped. Just, boom, broke off. And it got me thinking whether there was an option for replacement Saturn cases.” - Josh Farihurst

LOL, OMG CAE IS BROKEN GAME IS UNPLAYABLE.
What a crock of shit.

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
So the real question is, will they mark these as being repros? Will OG cases now double the value of a game?

“I remember bringing a copy of Guardian Heroes over to a friend’s house, and I actually had the case slip out of my hand,” he said. The game, made by the acclaimed developer Treasure, was hard to find and worth about $100 back in 2012, when he dropped it. “It fell about one foot to the ground, and the hinge snapped. Just, boom, broke off. And it got me thinking whether there was an option for replacement Saturn cases.” - Josh Farihurst

What a crock of shit.

A gentle wind would snap the hinges of a US Saturn case.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member

What a crock of shit.

If the case doesn't matter when you're playing the game, why does it matter if the case is OG as far as value? These are generic cases manufactured by third parties.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
If the case doesn't matter when you're playing the game, why does it matter if the case is OG as far as value? These are generic cases manufactured by third parties.

Oh you know there will be guys trying to up sell their games due to the "Original unbroken case" tax.

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
It will be interesting to hear how these replacement cases affect VGA grading.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Oh you know there will be guys trying to up sell their games due to the "Original unbroken case" tax.

LOL, true. That's why these repros are cool. Drive the anal collectors crazy. But they forgot one thing...
Spoiler:
Where's the repro foam? :keke:

Fuckwit1200

NAM-75 Vet
@ thecoverproject, some users posts replacement game cases, longboxes jewels galore.
great post. (and the next vga pos thing i read, eating a bullet!)
[edit]
pos keyboard. :(

Last edited:

FAT$TACKS

Not Average Joe., Not Average Homeowner., Not Aver
15 Year Member
Good read, thanks for posting. The collector that put up his own money would get my business if I was in the market for replacement cases.

Limited Run Games spent $150,000 making molds in the US instead of $8000 in China because they were worried about intellectual property theft of an intellectual property they didn't create. LOL, that's insane for such a niche product.

I've done some business with having my stuff produced in China. There is a bit more to it than the intellectual property issue, though that may be all that was brought up in the article. There have been small operations and young companies put out of business by having their stuff done over there. In the hobby game world, they have ruined several companies, not by piracy, but by delays, holding back product until they get more cash out of you, and in one case I know of stealing the molds and masters of someone's product and holding them hostage for more money, or one of my favorites, you've paid but your project gets stopped mid way through and put to the back of the line when get a deal for something that will make them more money, then I've seen over designing the molds for a project to make it in way more pieces than needed to drive up the tooling and casting costs.

If you are a small business, don't do business with China unless you are willing to take a 100% loss on your work and investment. It doesn't happen all the time, but it does happen often enough that you have to be very careful.

Renmauzo

MS Paint Master.
10 Year Member
There's a debate about this!?!? Hahaha, oh my :lolz:
Hello, the 90's called, I guess every one of the millions of PS1 and Dreamcast games out there with a replaced jewel case is a half a repro now.

What will gamers whine about next?

I'm all about the complete and clean for my games, but worrying about replacement plastic cases and value...it's not like they're reprinting artwork. What a stupid 'debate'.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
There's a debate about this!?!? Hahaha, oh my :lolz:
Hello, the 90's called, I guess every one of the millions of PS1 and Dreamcast games out there with a replaced jewel case is a half a repro now.

What will gamers whine about next?

I'm all about the complete and clean for my games, but worrying about replacement plastic cases and value...it's not like they're reprinting artwork. What a stupid 'debate'.

When I sell CD's and Cassettes online, I always worry that someone will cause a fit over potentially replaced jewel cases. While I try to avoid an obvious swap (like a CBS stamped case on an Epic Release), I just don't know about the rest.

Last edited:

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
Now is the time to buy the PlayStation games released in the clamshell long box.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
"I thought I'd be coming into this community bringing a solution that people needed and people would be happy for," said Chris. "Instead, my product came to market and I immediately had enemies."

Sounds familiar, now if I just could get a buck for every single I thought called out in this masonic 'retro scene'.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Now is the time to buy the PlayStation games released in the clamshell long box.

Now I'm not saying I've got psychic powers or something BUT

I checked out R. Lee Ermey's wiki two days before he died

And last night I looked at your profile, and noted you haven't posted since December, and here you are

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
you received a magic dollar from my brain. and i read your fortune, and i found out how to destroy you. I'm telling you right now, if you want to choke every last fucking dollar out of Generation Z five years from now, buy the ridged long box games for PlayStation. After the interchangeable Saturn/PS1 plastic cases are being pumped out of China for cheap, the people will want the more unique boxes. Also there's a lot of really good, classic games that come in these boxes: DOOM is one of the best (the best?) console ports of itself ever, both Battle Arena Toshinden games are sources of no$talgia in my generation, Wipeout, Tekken, Descent, Primal Rage (not a very good port or game, but no$talgia $ell$) Darkstalkers, and others for sure.

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
A lot of those are already astronomically priced.

Not nearly as much as U.S. Saturn games are. The most expensive one on my short list there is Darkstalkers, which can fetch like $60 - $70 it seems on a shitty eDay. The rest are $30 or less. DOOM is like $40 on a bad day.
There are of course games that are closer to Darkstalkers' price but lots of them are actually in Saturn type long boxes, not the ridged ones.

Sure, there are way more expensive games in regular jewel cases, but kids are more and more about aesthetic. It's a tempting box design. I'll admit they are beautiful. I have the sickness. But thank god I grew up actually playing them.

Last edited:

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
There are of course games that are closer to Darkstalkers' price but lots of them are actually in Saturn type long boxes, not the ridged ones.

The REAL early ones, I think - Ridge Racer was definitely in one.

From what I can remember ever seeing:

Long box jewel case - Ridge Racer, Tekken
Cardboard and plastic long box (with the ridges) - Assault Rigs, Warhawk, Twisted Metal, In the Hunt
Cardboard long box (no ridges, but a picture of them on the side) - Doom, Destruction Derby, Loaded, Need for Speed, Wipeout,

I know Im missing a ton of games from that release period.

Seeing a large US Saturn collection is nice though. I'm a sucker for uniformity.

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
Tekken came in both styles of long boxes. Road Rash was in a ridged box & jewel case as well I think. You're right about Doom with the cardboard pic, yea

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I have a box of saturn sports games. The only purpose is to donate cases to better games.
Do we know if LRG is going to put their stamp on these cases in some way?
I don't think there is a huge market for these cases either. 150k for molds?

Lastblade

Friend me on Facebook!,
20 Year Member
If LRG put up $150k just for molds, I am afraid to ask how much they will charge for this.

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
I'm pretty sure Toshinden on PSX was in the Saturn style case too. That and RR are probably the only 2 OG longboxes I have.