The Neo Geo mini is coming...

Viewpoint

Art of Typing Wiz, , ,
20 Year Member
You're right. How is it that they could get solid emulation with ACA titles on the Switch, PS4, XB1, but Snk the company who developed these games, can't get it right. If I want to play some Neo games on the Go, better off just using the Switch's bigger screen. Plus, I'm not a cd pad guy anyways. Much rather use the old style stick. I have to admit I almost bought one of these but now I'm glad I didn't.

I'm playing Blazing Star on my Switch right now and the options and things you can do on this along with the image quality and sound hit it right out of the fucking park. If ACA ever decides to release a physical collection of the Neo games they've done, I will buy that shit up in an instant.

Edit: If you're going to play Neo games on the Switch this puppy does the job nicely.

images

Last edited:

Hattori Hanzo

AEShole
1 Year Member
Look at this guy thinking like he can tell other people what isn't good or not.

You should really base your comparison to original Neo*Geo Hardware.

It's fine if you want to blow 200 bucks on something which in this day and age should be superior to original stock system but you're going to tell me that crap is acceptable with button configurations all fucked up?

What about the screen tearing issue some people have complained about? This thing is supposed to emulate original SNK Hardware & Software and it's not even doing that 100%. The whole thing is a cheap cash grab & I'm sorry that I'm obviously not going to give you a "lemming" of a reply because my standards for SNK hardware and software is much higher then yours.

If you want to keep firing cheap insults because you can't defend what I'm saying by all means keep digging this hole you're about to fall into.

Your assumption is wrong. I don't care if you like it or not and I didn't tell you what you have to like or hate. I like the Minis like I stated earlier and I don't need to convince someone on the internet. The SNK you knew died years ago and they won't come back to it's 90s glory. The emulation is good if you compare it to the PlayStation Classic for example. Relax a little this is not a warfare, I know liking the Mini is an unpopular opinion here. ;)

Gamemaster

20 Year Member
The SNK you knew died years ago and they won't come back to it's 90s glory. The emulation is good if you compare it to the PlayStation Classic for example. Relax a little this is not a warfare, I know liking the Mini is an unpopular opinion here. ;)

SNK had great hardware and great 2D stuff back then. The had sucess in the arcades and having the AES so people could buy there favorite arcade games for home use.
However SNK did fail a little on the Neo-Geo CD and where unlucky with the Pocket ( that is still one of my faforite handheldsystems.
In the arcades they did pretty bad with the Hyper Neo-Geo and so they lost a lot money on that stuff. Dont know if you aslk me SNK is mostly known for its Neo-Geo titels and when i compare actual 3D Samurai Showdown i thing they doin ok.

The emulation is finalburn alpha on linux. You did not need potent hardware in the past to emulate Neo-Geo titels. I think i even did emulate them on a 200Mhz Pentium back then.
So if the emulation is bad its more a bad emulator then bad hardware.
However you need options, filters, upscaling, scanlines nowadays for new TVs and that Mini does give you way to less.

SNK dont want you to use Universe Bios, other filters, scanlines other USB controlls even thought they use the same roms emulator and bios from the internet.

They did mess up and you cant fix it because they dont want it and that makes this tiny thing just crap but nice to look at.

Viewpoint

Art of Typing Wiz, , ,
20 Year Member
Relax a little this is not a warfare, I know liking the Mini is an unpopular opinion here. ;)

I would have liked it more if SNK put more love and care into it. I don't hate on shit just to hate it which is why I decided to give you much more of a longer reply since you were stating that I was hating on the system just to hate it. I love SNK and their games but I'll be the 1st in line to call out what I see as half-assed work.

The problem with the system as I stated before are glaring issues which shouldn't exist anymore from a software & hardware standpoint.

Also...

The emulation is good if you compare it to the PlayStation Classic for example.

I hope to god this is sarcasm.

Last edited:

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
The PlayStation Classic as a standard measure? There's a way to compensate for all the world's evil.

Hattori Hanzo

AEShole
1 Year Member
Not a standard measure but the PlayStation Classic shows how shitty a Mini from a big player can be. The Neo Geo Minis are far away from being a PSC, but Nintendo did better with their Minis and that should probably be the standard measure. :)

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
You're forgetting the first two noble truths of the Buddha.

One: My comment was sarcasm.
Two: The cause of sarcasm was desire - in this case, your desire to make a bad thing look favorable, by comparing it with the absolute worst kind said things have to offer.

Now that's high-quality children's reasoning on your side. Do ponder over it, just don't come back with another misplaced gif. It's just opinion.

Hattori Hanzo

AEShole
1 Year Member
This conversation already bored me before your comment Oliver. I don't mind having an unpopular opinion and I won't fight windmills here.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
It's not about your unpopular opinion(s), whatever they may be, I made a comment on the quality of your reasoning. Here again: you can't win an argument, so naturally, it's only because you have to "fight windmills" -- and by the way, it's to tilt at windmills.

Viewpoint

Art of Typing Wiz, , ,
20 Year Member
This conversation already bored me before your comment Oliver. I don't mind having an unpopular opinion and I won't fight windmills here.

Is it boring? I mean honestly you contested a few people here with the idea that the mini is really good. I don't like pointing out faults that much but like I said previously there are problems with the system so when you contested me saying that I'm just hating on it so I decided to indulge you with a more thought out response as to why I have a problem with this thing.

And this little gem..

Of course there is hatred when you post one liners with garbage & shit. ;)

You didn't think multiple people wouldn't call you out? You still hadn't addressed the issues I stated with this thing with the poor screen options, bad controller layout, and lack of options in a UI that should be a standard along with no internal battery to play this on the go.

And now you're bored because you tried to say "Well at least it's better then the PlayStation Classic" which isn't a hard hurdle to surpass since that thing is also total shit. The problem I see here is lack of quality control from SNK on this because while the stuff like ACA exists there are much better ways to play SNK games then on this awful thing.

It's obvious you bought this thing for the aesthetic value and not the play-ability of what it was supposed to be made for. This seems of course is the dividing issue between us as I would have bought this to enjoy the games 1st and not wear it on a shelf because it looks pretty.

Now they're releasing multiple versions of this along with units with different games on this forcing guys like you to buy multiple systems for no reason then to have it for having its sake.

I mean for fuck's sake. At least SEGA is doing the right thing by letting M2 100% handle the Genesis Mini. SNK has had M2 do shit for them before in the past so I don't see why they couldn't have done it again. Well I hope you enjoy your system because I guess that's all that matters but sadly there are way better options now for SNK games that don't halfass the software for people to enjoy.

Last edited:

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
Just a quick odd note about the Neo Geo mini international version with regard to censorship and Real Bout Fatal Fury in particular:

Although the games on the international version default to the english version with all of the expected regional censorship of the time, Real Bout Fatal Fury still has Blue Mary’s “falling in the water and losing her top” animation intact. A little odd since the PS2 Battle Archives release made sure to remove this animation even in the japanese release.

*Note: The ACA release of Real Bout Fatal Fury also leaves the animation intact.

Of course, older censorship edits like the removal of the “play that sh*t...” lyrics from the kof98 opening song remain.

Last edited:

neojedi

Member,
20 Year Member
Heads-up for anyone who is interested... the Samurai Shodown Neo Geo Minis are up for sale today on Amazon. The games list is changed from prior releases and includes all of the Neo Geo Samurai Shodowns. I have no idea if 5S will have fatalities via a code or even at all, though. Also, reviewers have noted that the TV output feature is still not very good. Other than that, looks like a neat little toy for Samurai fans.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Although the games on the international version default to the english version with all of the expected regional censorship of the time, Real Bout Fatal Fury still has Blue Mary’s “falling in the water and losing her top” animation intact. A little odd since the PS2 Battle Archives release made sure to remove this animation even in the japanese release.
It's gone in the Japanese release Neo-Geo mini as well, which is even stranger.

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
It's gone in the Japanese release Neo-Geo mini as well, which is even stranger.

Whats up SouthtownKid. The Blue Mary joke animation is still present in Real Bout on both the original japanese and the international releases of the neogeo mini (Blue Mary must fall in with the opponent for the animation to trigger just as before).

It looks like the animation was only removed for the old ps2 archive collection but not in other releases since then of Real Bout for some reason.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Whats up SouthtownKid. The Blue Mary joke animation is still present in Real Bout on both the original japanese and the international releases of the neogeo mini (Blue Mary must fall in with the opponent for the animation to trigger just as before).
That is weird. I could have sworn I triggered it but it didn't happen. I'll try it again...sometime.

As for the Kuroko release, it's crazy how many versions they're doing, just with different colored plastic and slightly shuffling the games. But they must realize that if they only fixed the controllers, the sales would really shoot through the roof.

NGT

J. M Club, ,
20 Year Member
Looks like they're trying to get the collector to buy multiple and fill a shelf. Haha