The Neo Geo mini is coming...

Ajax

way more american than wyo, way more
15 Year Member
Sup Sage. Still in the house, my dude. You still living in China?

adaup1

n00b
Has there been any confirmation if the pads work on the switch?

Bumping this question. I bit the dust and ordered one from Play Asia that's in the mail right now and will hopefully be here soon. I'm sure I can at least make it work on a computer. The Neo-Geo CD pad is my favorite of all time for fighting games, even over a stick. I know there's the USB PS3 ones but those are crazy expensive. Has anyone experimented with one yet?

TMOSteel

20 Year Member
So anyone buying the International Version? I don't want this thing but at the same time I'm a sucker for Neo Stuff. Plus Amazon makes it so easy. Worst case scenario it stays sitting on my desk and I mess with it every once and awhile for shits and gigs.

I have it on Pre-Order with two controllers.

Same here, but its not for me, its for my kid.

I showed it to him and he jumped, he's into handhelds like the DS, 3DS etc. and got a Switch last Christmas.

He's asked for the NEOGEO X before and I've said "no"; we all know it never lived up to its hype. He's free to play mine whenever he wants.

I've warned him about this one but he has to find out for himself that after a time having, is not so pleasing a thing after all as wanting.

Last edited:

123►Genei-Jin

Overtop Pathfinder
Some people are already receiving review samples for the International version.

Here's Metal Jesus review:

*Edited to add proper video tags.

Last edited:

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
W
T
F

no microswitches
I like pointless SNK shit, but not this...

Metal Jesus is turning into Doughy Buddha... He needs to rebrand.

Last edited:

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Bumping this question. I bit the dust and ordered one from Play Asia that's in the mail right now and will hopefully be here soon. I'm sure I can at least make it work on a computer. The Neo-Geo CD pad is my favorite of all time for fighting games, even over a stick. I know there's the USB PS3 ones but those are crazy expensive. Has anyone experimented with one yet?
These are NOT Neo Geo CD pads.

This cannot be emphasized enough.

They are made to LOOK like Neo CD pads, but that's it. They are garbage quality stick and buttons. Maybe acceptable for a Metal Slug, but not suitable for fighting games.

If you are expecting the stick to feel like the one on the Neo CD pad, you will be disappointed.

adaup1

n00b
So I actually got mine in the mail today, and I will say that the buttons honestly feel like the real deal. The build quality is also fantastic. The only issue is the stick, which as we now know is analog. For me, I may have been somewhat okay with the analog stick because unlike most modern sticks, the raidus is incredibly wide so you can be more accurate. The biggest issue is the place where you put your finger is oddly raised. It's really tough to describe without it being in your hand but it's really weird.

Also, had zero luck with Switch, not that I expected it, but for those curious...

gray117

Crazed MVS Addict
15 Year Member
Legit question - what's the packaging like on the shelf? ...That was the only reason I could think of anyone wanting to pay (only marginally above original price) for a late-to-the-non-party-x in the end, and I suspect it's the same here. And this is too small to make a pii case out of right?

...Which was imho was the only worthwhile thing to actually use an x for. If the actual product had been better I personally may have appreciated the surrounding attempted attention to detail, unfortunately as well done as the design was I just look at it as a camouflage attempt... That thing didn't even arrive in time for me to have fun complaining about it during the Christmas hols... hmm ... but maybe that's added value if I get to bitch about that too?

As for this thing; it's a least more honestly a cut down pokey novelty thing - you were never going to play it on the go, and then for any long periods at home either - so maybe you won't resent it being on your shelf if it looks good?

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
As for this thing; it's a least more honestly a cut down pokey novelty thing - you were never going to play it on the go, and then for any long periods at home either - so maybe you won't resent it being on your shelf if it looks good?

Couldn't one say the same about the real thing nowadays? Any simulation dedicated to relive one's memories has its limits.

gray117

Crazed MVS Addict
15 Year Member
I can still happily play my mvs for hours in a nice room with fully working controls, and not worrying about money ... in many ways I this serves both the (myth of) nostalgia and enjoyment of playing better than ever. I'd argue original hardware with what I am lucky enough to have now is actually a better experience than it ever was. Probably, as are a lot of good emulation setups for what I'm looking for.

The x specifically sold itself as a play on the go and at home setup. It was shit at both.

This thing is in it's very form more of a cute showpiece than a practical way to play - it's not pretending to even be a nearly full size experience - it's purposefully dinky. It's not purposefully not that great, and it's a shame the extra functionality of controllers and tv output is not good... but I don't feel it's selling itself as the new way to play neo geo whenever you want, rather instead it's the fun way to show it on your coffee table piece first, and maybe give it a spin second... so it's a little less prone to the disappointment that the x was from the playing point of view...

...but personally I still don't want it.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
I find it funny that SNK pulled the plug on the X, which sucked but was still better than the Mini in every conceivable way, only to put their branding on a far, far worse device a few years later.

Decepticreep

Street Hoop Star
I find it funny that SNK pulled the plug on the X, which sucked but was still better than the Mini in every conceivable way, only to put their branding on a far, far worse device a few years later.

Is it worse? I had the X and didn't like it. This seems better, but not enough for me to pull the trigger.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Is it worse? I had the X and didn't like it. This seems better, but not enough for me to pull the trigger.

No, it's much worse.
-The X has a digital stick on both the controller and unit itself
-The X has the correct button layout
-The X has interchangeable games
-The X has an internal battery
-The X uses standard USB
-The X has already been hacked
-The X controllers work on other devices
-The X handheld fits in your pocket

The only thing the Mini did right was use a screen with the right aspect ratio.

Demitri1983

Cheng's Errand Boy
No, it's much worse.
-The X has a digital stick on both the controller and unit itself
-The X has the correct button layout
-The X has interchangeable games
-The X has an internal battery
-The X uses standard USB
-The X has already been hacked
-The X controllers work on other devices
-The X handheld fits in your pocket

The only thing the Mini did right was use a screen with the right aspect ratio.

TRUTH. Your courage in this dark time is commended. Lol! But seriously, sad for those who think the mini s a better alternative than the X just cuz it came from SNK officially. How they managed to give us less this time around is just disrespectful.

famicommander

15 Year Member
People dumb enough to buy this shit don't deserve respect.

Decepticreep

Street Hoop Star
I went with an Omega CMVS and a Unibios'd CD myself. AES just isn't cost effective now, nor was it when I got into the Neo about ten years back.

Fuck no it's not cost effective, which is why I got a CMVS. I wanted an Omega. Those things look so sweet.

123►Genei-Jin

Overtop Pathfinder
It´s a shame MVS is also getting expensive these days. At least I got most of the games I wanted long ago but people getting into it right now are almost forced to go for a NeoSD or multicarts if they want to play some of the best games.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
123►Genei-Jin;4327392 said:
It´s a shame MVS is also getting expensive these days. At least I got most of the games I wanted long ago but people getting into it right now are almost forced to go for a NeoSD or multicarts if they want to play some of the best games.

'Forced' isn't how I would put it considering the NeoSD is superior in all ways. Thousands of $ on carts? cart cleaning? storage space for all your carts? Finding the carts for sale? Having to switch out carts? and that's just getting started, all of which are no longer an issue with a NeoSD.

123►Genei-Jin

Overtop Pathfinder
'Forced' isn't how I would put it considering the NeoSD is superior in all ways. Thousands of $ on carts? cart cleaning? storage space for all your carts? Finding the carts for sale? Having to switch out carts? and that's just getting started, all of which are no longer an issue with a NeoSD.

Yeah, NeoSD is great, but what I meant by "forced" is simply that there aren't really many options right now. At least a few years ago even some of the rarest MVS carts were a lot more affordable for people like me who wanted to get them that way. People getting into MVS right now don't really have much of a choice.
I personally don't mind swapping carts and It's still faster than loading games on the NeoSD.