The Neo Geo mini is coming...

SpamYouToDeath

I asked for a, Custom Rank and, Learned My Lesson.
15 Year Member
Disappointed by the pads. I was hoping they'd be nice so I could just buy a couple and disregard the system itself.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
WTF? The pads aren't microswitched? The silver lining of this series of products has turned poo brown.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
WTF? The pads aren't microswitched? The silver lining of this series of products has turned poo brown.

Neither the pads or the built-in stick having microswitches is one of three major problems with the Mini. The second (and in my mind, larger) problem is that it has no built-in battery and needs to always be plugged into the wall, which removes most of the point of having a "portable" Neo-esque system. The third and perhaps largest major problem is that I still kind of want one in spite of those things.

aku

Loyal Neo-Disciple
yeah, its horrible. but i just ordered one. if i really hate it, i ll sell it again.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
yeah, its horrible. but i just ordered one. if i really hate it, i ll sell it again.

And having two sets of games is evil. There are exclusives to each version that I would want.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
And having two sets of games is evil. There are exclusives to each version that I would want.

Don't do it bro. Unless you want this just to sit on your desk powered on while you're doing shit. You're probably going to mess with it for the first week and that's it. Who wants to play on that small screen with those shit controls. Even hooked up to a TV you're not going to get proper emulation and no joystick, only Neo Cd pad. I don't know if you still own any Neo Hardware but your best bet is those ACA Neo Roms on the Switch if you want to go Portable. I've purchased a few of them and they're great.

I had the Japanese version on Pre-Order and canceled it.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
I don't know if you still own any Neo Hardware
All my Neo stuff is back in the US.

but your best bet is those ACA Neo Roms on the Switch if you want to go Portable.
What is this? I don't have a Switch, so I'm not familiar with any of it. Is ACA like PSN for sony consoles, or is it some hack thing?

edit: never mind, just looked it up. Yeah, that does look a million times better, although the cost of a Switch + games is many times more than the Mini.

Last edited:

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
All my Neo stuff is back in the US.

What is this? I don't have a Switch, so I'm not familiar with any of it. Is ACA like PSN for sony consoles, or is it some hack thing?

edit: never mind, just looked it up. Yeah, that does look a million times better, although the cost of a Switch + games is many times more than the Mini.

Just put ROMs on your phone and get a Bluetooth gamepad. Or a hacked PSP. Or a laptop or a tablet.

All are more portable, all offer better emulation, all offer better controls, all over better TV output, all offer more games.

The Mini is a totally worthless piece of shit with zero practical usages.

famicommander

15 Year Member
And that's coming from a guy who owns a CDI.

A reasonably decent port of Tetris > playing poorly emulated Neo Geo games on 4 inch screen with an analog stick and incorrect button layout.

Tw3ek

69Vapelord420
10 Year Member
A reasonably decent port of Tetris > playing poorly emulated Neo Geo games on 4 inch screen with an analog stick and incorrect button layout.

Yea, cause Tetris isn't already on everything else too right?

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Just put ROMs on your phone and get a Bluetooth gamepad. Or a hacked PSP. Or a laptop or a tablet.

All are more portable, all offer better emulation, all offer better controls, all over better TV output, all offer more games.

The Mini is a totally worthless piece of shit with zero practical usages.

I 2nd the hacked PSP. I keep one around just for Neo, CPS1-2 emulation. A hacked Vita probably does the same job as well but mine isn't hacked. Need to look into that.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Yea, cause Tetris isn't already on everything else too right?

So are those Neo Geo games. Except Tetris (as well as a small chunk of other decent to good games) on CD-i is playable. See what I'm getting at? CD-i is admittedly dumb. Neo Geo Mini is orders of magnitude more dumb.

GadgetUK

Ace Ghost Pilot
Glad I didn't buy this now! The title needs changing to "The Neo Geo Mini is going", not "coming" lol.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
I 2nd the hacked PSP. I keep one around just for Neo, CPS1-2 emulation. A hacked Vita probably does the same job as well but mine isn't hacked. Need to look into that.
I have a hacked psp, but hate the psp d-pad and buttons for fighters. And the worst analog stick for fighting games ever.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Speaking of the Switch, how is the stick for fighters? I assume it's analog, but is it at all good?

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
IMO it's not all that great. Much better experience playing fighting games with the Pro controller or Stick of course.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Speaking of the Switch, how is the stick for fighters? I assume it's analog, but is it at all good?

The joycon analog stick is similar in feel to a Vita analog if you've ever tried those. It works better than you'd think but it's no substitute for a decent dpad. You can use much better controllers with it fortunately. The Pro controller's Dpad isn't awful, 8bitdo controllers work, and some fight sticks will work through USB, I use a Mayflash on mine.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
For those interested, there is a new guide book being published along with the launch of the neogeo mini in japan. The book is up for pre-order and is a guide focusing on the 21 fighting games featured on the unit. In addition to expected information on strategies, hidden characters, and commands, there will be information on neogeo hardware history as well:

View attachment 51233

https://www.amazon.co.jp/NEOGEO-min...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=JRNB2BS50MVTRF67E0TV
This finally hit bookstores, and I picked it up yesterday. DO NOT BOTHER. It's only movelists for all the fighting games, and that's it. There is a Neo history section, but it's literally about 4 pages with one photo of each type of hardware (including Pocket). There are no strategy sections to speak of, other that a brief word on each game's final boss, no list of combination arts from the RB games, almost nothing like that (Angel does get her Unchained Circle listed, though). Only movelists, and printed extremely small, along with the briefest description of each game's system. Basically, no more than you'd get from each game's mini marquee and move stickers.

And guess what? The book SKIPS Ninja Master's and Kizuna entirely. Although, the book's cover makes that clear if I had been paying attention, so it's my fault for being surprised, I guess.

The book is cheap, so whatever, but still disappointing. If you have a need to have a bunch of fighting game movelists all in one place, then maybe, but there is no other reason to have this book.

sulaco

n00b

I’m sure this has been discussed to death, but I’m just catching up: why did they change the button layout!?

I’m also shocked/surprised about the lack of micro switches on the system. I can’t believe the controllers don’t have them. The Neo Geo X has them on them in both modes.

I’ve only tried a few games so far, but thought the built in screen looked nice. I’m bummed that there is no attract mode on the game selection screen. In the worst case, I figure now have several licensed roms I was missing that I can back up and “space shifting”.