The Neo Geo mini is coming...

ptrix4u2c

Mega Shock!!
I've been enjoying mine. The most impressive thing this has got going for it is the pixel count matching the LCD screen. No microswitches on the joystick or the pads. I really hated the pads at first because they sorta remind me of playing a fighting game on an analog stick. They have too much "travel" imo. I've gotten more used to playing with them over time.

Mainly I'm hoping SNK will do an update via USB for this because the 3rd round background on Terry's Garou stage is jacked up. Also the burning house stage in Last Blade 2 is missing the heat effect. If Hamster can fix that stuff on the Switch they should be able to here.

Oh yeah, image quality when hooked up to a TV is pretty fuzzy. It's a shame b/c it looks so sharp on the built in screen.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
I've been enjoying mine. The most impressive thing this has got going for it is the pixel count matching the LCD screen. No microswitches on the joystick or the pads. I really hated the pads at first because they sorta remind me of playing a fighting game on an analog stick. They have too much "travel" imo. I've gotten more used to playing with them over time.

Mainly I'm hoping SNK will do an update via USB for this because the 3rd round background on Terry's Garou stage is jacked up. Also the burning house stage in Last Blade 2 is missing the heat effect. If Hamster can fix that stuff on the Switch they should be able to here.

Oh yeah, image quality when hooked up to a TV is pretty fuzzy. It's a shame b/c it looks so sharp on the built in screen.

So you're loving yours but the emulation isn't accurate, controls suck, and hooked up to a TV it looks fuzzy? Ohh yea, this Neo-Geo mini is a real winner.

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member

Sub-par performance of its advertised core features? Sounds like a solid purchase!

c0nn0r

If I could have, My time back, I'd keep it in ma'
10 Year Member
So you're loving yours but the emulation isn't accurate, controls suck, and hooked up to a TV it looks fuzzy? Ohh yea, this Neo-Geo mini is a real winner.

AHahha. Preach!

I hear little cabs like this are "perfect for shmups" too.

capnd77

Marked Wolf
This is just something to throw on the shelf to look pretty, like you would any other gaming related statue or figurine. It definitely is not very practical to play on, and too expensive for me personally if it's just gonna be a display piece.

c0nn0r

If I could have, My time back, I'd keep it in ma'
10 Year Member
This is just something to throw on the shelf to look pretty, like you would any other gaming related statue or figurine.

So should I get this for my Nana for Christmas? She has lots of figurines on shelves in her Florida condo. Sounds like this would be up her alley! Wow, who woulda thunk that Nana would be getting into Neo Geo? Christmas 2018 can't come fast enough!

What's the best way for her to prepare for this change in lifestyle? I guess first step for her would be to register an account here and ask for teh romz and how to become a big tymer.

ptrix4u2c

Mega Shock!!

Mmm...yeah pretty much. I focused on the negative for sure, but it looks really cool on its own and has a lot of fun NG games I've never got to play. I'm enjoying it even with some of the serious flaws it has.

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,

laughing_dog_duck_hunt_.gif

KRONOS

Hardened Shock Trooper
For those interested, there is a new guide book being published along with the launch of the neogeo mini in japan. The book is up for pre-order and is a guide focusing on the 21 fighting games featured on the unit. In addition to expected information on strategies, hidden characters, and commands, there will be information on neogeo hardware history as well:

View attachment 51233

https://www.amazon.co.jp/NEOGEO-min...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=JRNB2BS50MVTRF67E0TV

Oh man.. I'll definitely be picking this up. Thanks for the heads-up.. I was interested in importing the actual Neogeo Mini until I saw a bunch of YouTube videos showing the garbage video output and lack of 3rd party controller support. I'd only buy the international ver. at the MSRP.

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
neogeo mini pad teardown and they manage to get an arcade stick to work with the unit :lolz::

Dr. Meat

NEST Puppet
10 Year Member
neogeo mini pad teardown and they manage to get an arcade stick to work with the unit :lolz::

The weights are a nice touch, but it really is a shame that these don't have microswitches in the D-Pad. Good to see that they're pretty simple to padhack, though.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
I was at the Orange County Fair a week or two ago and they had some similar looking systems, but made of wood for $1500.

Dude said , "these are all Jamma based not using raspberryPi. This is the best you cant get anywhere."

Told him I paid $60 for a Pandoras box cart, he said, "it's not the same, mine has over 1200 games. I have these pandora boxes for $270 plus tax, but if you pay cash just $270 for you."

I said, "No thanks, and good luck selling your Jamma based systems."

I have never not met a person in real life who sells arcade machines who isn't gutter trash.

Doom

Crossed Swords Squire
I'd probably find it more useful to mod the neo mini pads to work on a real neo geo lol.

Ilovejapangirls

Mature's Make-up Artist
I've received my Mini this past Thursday. It's really good, I was planning on using it as furniture since i've read so many bad press on this thing. When I tried it though, I was amazed! Portable mode's video is crisp and clear, definition is crazy, you can safely play any shooter without missing any bullet or detail, simply amazing.
I played some KOF 98 and there I had a real epiphany. I can pull off any tech on this tiny (i guess not microswitched) stick! How did they do this is a mistery to me. I'd gladly record some videos but I can't hold my phone and play at the same time:P!
Amazing piece of hardware for me, yesterday I brought it to a nerd party and most of my friends preordered theirs from nin nin after trying it out.
I'm going to the buy the International spec too at this point, fuck it, it's too good.

Last edited:

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Mine arrived yesterday. I was going to do a video review if it arrived closer to the release date. Haven't gotten to mess with it yet.

Mai_Lover

Dodgeball Yakuza
Does SNK plan on a US release? I would hope it resembles a Big Red, rather than this piece of horse shit.