The Neo Geo mini is coming...

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
Wait, this stupid shit doesn't come with a Neo CD pad already?

The NEOEO Mini features a 3.5" LCD screen but the built-in HDMI port pipes video to televisions and a pair of controller ports allow gamepads (sold separately) to be connected to the unit.

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
Nope. The pad is gonna be an extra $30 most likely.

Shit didn't know that. That's super lame, and it's gone from an unlikely purchase to a no purchase for me. I assumed it was LCD screen and a CD pad included.

Why do SNK think we want their shit in a portable form? I assume most people who bought the Neo Geo X plugged it into their TV?

SNK if you are reading this (unlikely I know), STOP IT, K?

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Shit didn't know that. That's super lame, and it's gone from an unlikely purchase to a no purchase for me. I assumed it was LCD screen and a CD pad included.

Why do SNK think we want their shit in a portable form? I assume most people who bought the Neo Geo X plugged it into their TV?

SNK if you are reading this (unlikely I know), STOP IT, K?

They already sell their games on Nintendo, Xbox, Playstation, GOG, Steam, etc. You can play them on a TV right now. Not to mention legit Neo hardware, PC emulation, etc.

A decent portable option is something we don't necessarily have. You can put an emulator on your phone and then use a bluetooth gamepad or shitty touchscreen controls, but that's about the best there is.

Problem with the mini is, it's not fucking portable. It won't fit in your pocket.

If the Neo Geo X were just the handheld, had decent emulation, and had a better screen it would be ideal. It would provide something that isn't done much, much better elsewhere.

But the Mini? What exactly does it do again? Why would you hook that to your TV instead of just buying the games on your digital game platform of choice or emulate them for free?

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
But the Mini? What exactly does it do again? Why would you hook that to your TV instead of just buying the games on your digital game platform of choice or emulate them for free?

Didn't stop the NES Mini, SNES Mini and even those shitty Atari/Sega Flashback consoles from selling faster than Bangkok hookers.

A lot of causals make up the game sales, and the casuals won't be buying many individual titles from PS, MS or Nintendo e-shops.

Make a mini AES that plugs straight into HDMI, with decent emulation and scaling, a decent library of games, leave the backdoor open to add more roms, give it a AES replica controller and don't sell it for more than $100 and it would fly off the shelves.

famicommander

15 Year Member
I don't think there is as much overlap between kind of people who have nostalgia for Atari/SEGA/Nintendo consoles and the kind of people who remember the Neo Geo. Those other systems were mass market, Neo Geo was niche.

The people who are buying these flashback devices are mostly middle aged people who haven't been into the hobby since they were kids. They want to play a little Sonic, Mario, or Pitfall and they aren't really aware of all the better options.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
They already sell their games on Nintendo, Xbox, Playstation, GOG, Steam, etc. You can play them on a TV right now. Not to mention legit Neo hardware, PC emulation, etc.

A decent portable option is something we don't necessarily have. You can put an emulator on your phone and then use a bluetooth gamepad or shitty touchscreen controls, but that's about the best there is.

Problem with the mini is, it's not fucking portable. It won't fit in your pocket.

If the Neo Geo X were just the handheld, had decent emulation, and had a better screen it would be ideal. It would provide something that isn't done much, much better elsewhere.

A custom firmware PSP still remains my go to way for playing the Neo-Geo on the Go. Emulation is great and controls are ok. That's the probably the best handheld solution.

Damulta

Armored Scrum Object
As fast as these things are selling. Maybe it's a sign to make more games the old way; instead of the NEW way.

Gaston

Mature's Make-up Artist
Let's not make this thread about vastly inferior hardware such as the PSP.

Gaston

Mature's Make-up Artist
Let's not make this thread about vastly inferior hardware such as the NGX.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
This may as well be the NGX in a fancy fucking case. Fuck this stupid cash grab shit, anyone who's smitten with this garbage is a collectard who turn's a blind eye to the obvious free alternatives.

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
This may as well be the NGX in a fancy fucking case. Fuck this stupid cash grab shit, anyone who's smitten with this garbage is a collectard who turn's a blind eye to the obvious free alternatives.

How many did you pre-order?

Locutus73

Tarma's Gun Polisher
A custom firmware PSP still remains my go to way for playing the Neo-Geo on the Go. Emulation is great and controls are ok. That's the probably the best handheld solution.

PSVita is fine too with Retroarch.
GPD Win (both the first and the second) are amazing emulation portables.

famicommander

15 Year Member

I love the PSP but it's not ideal either. D-pad isn't great, battery life isn't great, it's pretty big, etc.

Beats the fuck out of the mini or NGX, though.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
Still like a month away. Gonna have to figure out the HDMI cable etc. at some point.

Last edited:

Locutus73

Tarma's Gun Polisher