The Neo Geo mini is coming...

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
That's far smaller than I expected. That's too small to be anything more than a novelty.

Energy

n00b
I could see it coming with the success of the snes/nes mini. i'm buying one for my nephew

Zenjay

n00b
I could see it coming with the success of the snes/nes mini. i'm buying one for my nephew

If SNK does it as well as the Nintendo minis, I think it'll be a success. I'll be getting one to put on my desk. I'd like to get both versions since 14 of the games are different between the two.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
If SNK does it as well as the Nintendo minis, I think it'll be a success. I'll be getting one to put on my desk. I'd like to get both versions since 14 of the games are different between the two.

It will do well but not comparable with mini nes and snes classics. Nintendo speaks very loud and clearly to the millennials and gen z. It's in fashion beyond the retro gaming thing

Zenjay

n00b
It will do well but not comparable with mini nes and snes classics. Nintendo speaks very loud and clearly to the millennials and gen z. It's in fashion beyond the retro gaming thing

Oh I would never imagine it would compete with the popularity/sales of Nintendo's minis. Not even close. But I agree Big N's appeal transcends generations beyond us old fux who grew up with those systems. It's trendy to play old games all pixelated looking blown up on 4K TVs I guess.

ForeverSublime

6400|!!|Kyo Clone
20 Year Member

Yeah, late 80's/early 90's games are fine, but games from the 2020s are way better.

ChopstickSamurai

I have earned the, right to PM Rot.,
Looks like amazon japan has it up for preorder
https://www.amazon.co.jp/SNKプレイモア-NEOGEO-mini/dp/B07DWGTHDJ/?th=1

mini is 12,420Y
pad is 3000Y

-ack

Just came to post this too. Unfortunately the pads are unavailable to order. Looks like SNK Japan has some bundles on their site too:

https://www.snk-onlineshop.com/item_list.html?siborikomi_clear=1&keyword=NEOGEOmini

Amazon has an overview page here as well:

https://www.amazon.co.jp/b?node=5796478051

Can't wait to get my official SNK HDMI cable. ;)

Last edited:

Zenjay

n00b
Looks like amazon japan has it up for preorder
https://www.amazon.co.jp/SNKプレイモア-NEOGEO-mini/dp/B07DWGTHDJ/?th=1

mini is 12,420Y
pad is 3000Y

-ack
That converts to $112.95 for the mini and $27.28 for the controller. Not too bad, considering the built-in LCD screen and 40 games. I tried placing an order, but for now, Amazon.jp won't ship them to the US. I've ordered other things from them before, though. It's hit or miss what they will or won't ship overseas, and restrictions on any particular item can change, seemingly without rhyme or reason. This may be meant to stay in Japan, however, especially since SNK is making the separate "international" version with 14 different games.

Last edited:

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
That converts to $112.95 for the mini and $27.28 for the controller. Not too bad, considering the built-in LCD screen and 40 games that I have to use a $500 telescope to use

fixed, and also you're a chump

i cannot picture this thing being used, especially without a gamepad. its ridiculous

Ilovejapangirls

Mature's Make-up Artist
Amazon Jp says it won't ship to my address... it only says so during the checkout, wtf? On the item page it says delivery to Your country is available. Tips on where to buy this cutie?

Locutus73

Tarma's Gun Polisher
fixed, and also you're a chump

i cannot picture this thing being used, especially without a gamepad. its ridiculous

Think about the mini this way: it’s a nice (functional) ornament for the office desk and it’s an excuse to pay SNK (I know this is not the original SNK) something for the use of their IP elsewhere (same as Nintendo’s Minis which are still unboxed).

Regards.

Locutus73

bello

Crossed Swords Squire
10 Year Member
Preordered both black/white controller and Neogeo Mini!

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Any idea if that's maybe a type C mini HDMI jack? Or will we have to order the official cable? That would be silly for an accessory that looks hard to come by so far.

From the pictures of the back of the unit, looks like mini HDMI port as it's not much bigger than the USBC

Any idea if that's maybe a type C mini HDMI jack? Or will we have to order the official cable? That would be silly for an accessory that looks hard to come by so far.

Dr. Meat

NEST Puppet
10 Year Member
From the pictures of the back of the unit, looks like mini HDMI port as it's not much bigger than the USBC

Could be one of those mini-HDMI ports. It'd be funny if there was just a Raspberry Pi Zero in there.

Beckett

n00b
If you guys really want to pre-order it, you can go through a proxy buyer that will ship to your country such as J-goods.net and FromJapan.co.jp. Rates for the services will vary though, but it's one route.

Play Asia also has a pre-order place holder too:
https://www.play-asia.com/neogeo-mini/13/70c1wd

My opinion though, just pass on it. I played it a bit at E3, and it all felt pretty meh..

Ajax

way more american than wyo, way more
15 Year Member
I'm surprised how expensive this turned out to be. Probably gonna skip it. For that price, I'd rather just scoop up a few MVS carts...

Zenjay

n00b
I'm surprised how expensive this turned out to be. Probably gonna skip it. For that price, I'd rather just scoop up a few MVS carts...

Guess it depends how you look at it. Neo Geo games on the major consoles are $8 a pop, and this comes with 40 games packaged in a fun, portable "arcade" unit complete with LCD screen that you can connect to your TV and hook-up optional NGCD gamepads to. It's a novelty item for sure, but I think the pricing is fair.

ChopstickSamurai

I have earned the, right to PM Rot.,
I got a order in on Amazon before they blocked US orders. I have no need for one, but it looks neat and new Neo Geo goods are few and far between. We'll see if I cancel my order or not. Deadline to do that is July 1st.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
Guess it depends how you look at it. Neo Geo games on the major consoles are $8 a pop, and this comes with 40 games packaged in a fun, portable "arcade" unit complete with LCD screen that you can connect to your TV and hook-up optional NGCD gamepads to. It's a novelty item for sure, but I think the pricing is fair.

8 dollars a pop for roms? come on man... not the same thing as paying for 8 dollars a game for legit software