The Neo Geo mini is coming...

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
For those interested, here’s the context for that photo depicting the gold version of the neogeo mini unit:

“...As a result of this collaboration, a Saudi Arabian character and stage will appear in the SNK fighting game, THE KING OF FIGHTERS XIV, as a part of the digital content releases going forward. GE presented Mr. Bader Al-Asaker with a special gold version of the NEOGEO mini, which is a product designed to celebrate the 40th anniversary of the SNK brand.”

source: https://www.snk-corp.co.jp/us/press/2017/113001/

They gave Bader a mini version of the mini because they couldn't afford to make a full size mini in gold

joala

A Joala is for Life., Not Just Christmas.,
I hope that golden POS isn’t what the NEO•GEO mini really is lmfao

lmfao zomg kind bud drugs whizz etc etc

f957eb895d1cdbbbfb6e6729a70dacf2

Damulta

Armored Scrum Object
I hope that golden POS isn’t what the NEO•GEO mini really is lmfao

I think it is. I wonder if the screen is about the size of a turbo Express. Can that say that you can't game on a screen that size. Heck I used to use the TV tuner on my Express to play Super Nintendo on road trips.

My fifteen-year-old thanks it's going to be really neat at that size.

Godfather

n00b
Snk was pretty pissed off about the X being sold in their name as they are all about high end quality. If they are working closely on this SNK mini. We can bet it will be the Beluga caviar of all mini consoles. They won't mess around this time.

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Evidently you've never used a ATgames device.

Hah, yeah good point. I'm keen to believe these products merely exist, so there's a perfect excuse for hopelessly devoting oneself to collecting. Just like life makes no sense at all, so we have an excuse to worship oblivion.

Karou

Gandalf Of Gibberish,
10 Year Member
I am not sure if I just havent been logging in but / came here AfTer seeing this on YOATHoo??Wtf is that oath whatsits ''of course we willread aNd USe''???''your emails,,.Will create market influence, moronS in the comments saYINGg pockets suk andAESis expensive.Isold all my fort building junk thO important ppl thOUGht noohne wud Wnt thm

Tech&Music

Another Striker
Snk was pretty pissed off about the X being sold in their name as they are all about high end quality. If they are working closely on this SNK mini. We can bet it will be the Beluga caviar of all mini consoles. They won't mess around this time.

SNK let Tommo do its thing, release the X even though they knew it was shit, then when the costumers rightfully got pissed off because of the shit emulation, SNK decided to straight up sue Tommo out of selling the X. While maybe, just maybe, they learned, it seems more of a dickish way to save face. Sure, Tommo made a piece of shit, but the way SNK terminated the NGX was much worse. They should have stopped the X from being released in the first place, and let Tommo or someone else work on it a bit longer. Whatever this is could be OK emulation wise, but I'd be cautious.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
If the fundamentals are good, the mods & hacks will be heaven. The thrill of anticipation. Probably the only thrill we'll get. Let's play it out as long as it lasts ;).

Hine62

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
I thought Tommo got in trouble because the NGX was hacked almost immediately to be able to play roms... I bet this product will not be hackable, but be hacked. Let's just hope the hardware is good.

Raph4

Retrogoobing Newscaster
10 Year Member
Today, this NEOGEO "mini" will be probably 100% made in China.

Damulta

Armored Scrum Object
With them being close to Nintendo. I wonder if they will use their mini hardware, and ds screen to go along with it.

ysselcneogeo

Fio's Quartermaster
10 Year Member
It's kinda sad how great the neogeo is because SNK can only milk their heritage over and over again.

shadowtek

n00b
My pure speculation is that it will be about as tall as an AES controller stood on it's side but not as wide. The main controller/joystick and buttons will be attached to the Screen/Back cabinet part and it will have a built in Screen that is about 3-4 inches(about the size of a post-it note, maybe a tad larger). The joystick and buttons will be in between NeoGeo Pocket color and AES controller size. So smaller but not tiny. On the back will be HDMI out, as well as USB input for power and 1 or 2 USB plugs for external controllers/dongles. So you can do 1P on the system itself or 2P will be with a secondary connected controller and 1P will have to use the controller attached to the console. I'm hoping they just make the controller detachable, or have a secondary controller port but I'm guessing they might not because cost, so P1's controller is the system itself. I think the system will retail for $99.99-129.99 and if they sell secondary controllers those will be $24.99-29.99 and they will be USB full size options like the X had. I'm guessing it will come with 40 built in games and no built in expansion of that until it gets hacked. I'm hoping you don't have to hold the system while playing on HDMI on a screen so hopeful for a dedicated 1P and 2P port on the back.

Last edited:

-SD-

Camel Slug
I’m quite disappointed no enterprising Chinese matey has started knocking out Neo•Pi cases using the X moulds. After all, the NESpi and SNESpi cases exist...