The Neo Geo mini is coming...

Shito

King of Typists,
20 Year Member
Don't know about you guys, but I still tremble anytime I see a NEO·GEO game running on my home VCR TV screen. I mean, I still get that "woah that's unreal!!!" vibe of having a real arcade game displaying on my home TV set.

That is, and will always be, the real "magic" of NEO·GEO to me. Having an arcade cab at home had always been feasible, given you had the cash. But the real arcade deal on a real home device? Only with the NEO·GEO, the one and only real arcade experience tailored for real domestic environment.

That said, seeing those games on that kind of tiny LCD screen is humiliating to say the least. Talk about "belittling greatness". Truly, truly un-respectful and disloyal. Not for me.

Last edited:

GadgetUK

Ace Ghost Pilot
Looks like more emulation tat to me! Did they learn nothing from the previous Neo Geo emulation handheld bollox fiasco?

NeoTurfMasta

DANCE DANCE KARNOV!,
20 Year Member
The joystick on the cab and the CD pad feels like an analog stick. No click, no directional feel.

Last edited:

Dampfwalze

Armored Scrum Object,
20 Year Member
This would be death sentence for the device!
You played it yourself?

suicidekiller

Host for Orochi,
That said, seeing those game on those kind of tine LCD screen is humiliating to say the least. Talk about "belittling greatness". Truly, truly un-respectful and disloyal. Not for me.

I would understand if the approach of the Neo Geo Mini was to make the Neo library more accessible to gamers who don't want to waste thousands of dollars on homecarts. However, the way it's done is the worst possible solution you can imagine. Nano screen, wrong button layout, analogue stick, limited game selection spread accross two regions. What's next? You have to insert coins to get credits?

Dampfwalze

Armored Scrum Object,
20 Year Member
Thank you for sharing that important info. I think this will make it quite unplayable, at least when it comes to beat em ups.
Did you notice anything else worth to mention? Emulation quality for example?

Demitri1983

Cheng's Errand Boy
I was holding out to make an opinion on this device. The click thing is a complete deal breaker. That's a ps2 controller, what trash! Ugh!!

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
Supposedly the TV play is pretty buggy based off of others who have played with it at E3.

Hopefully they have that worked out by release.

NeoTurfMasta

DANCE DANCE KARNOV!,
20 Year Member
The emulation seemed fine. I didn’t notice any screen tearing or anything. I think there was some filter on one of the games when it was playing on tv, I assume that can be turned off.

Dampfwalze

Armored Scrum Object,
20 Year Member
Thanks again NTM! It's nice to read some first hand impressions.

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
Thank you NTM!

For those interested, here is an additional hands-on impression from E3 (I think this is where that above video originated from):

http://nukethefridge.com/e3-2018-hands-on-with-the-neo-geo-mini/

...“It took me awhile to get comfortable with the built-in arcade stick. It’s pretty small and I had a few issues with inputs but this is still in development so I imagine it will be ironed out closer to its final release.

On a 3.5 inch LCD screen, everything looks crisp and beautiful. There is no noticeable lag in any of the games I played, which included King of Fighters 97, 98, Garou Mark of the Wolves and Metal Slug.”...

Last edited:

NeoTurfMasta

DANCE DANCE KARNOV!,
20 Year Member
my post regarding emulation being “fine” may have been premature.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide

Bummer. For all I care, the whole thing could have had the looks of a broken toaster and it wouldn't matter, but if essentials like controls and emu-quality don't work, it's game over. Releasing a Neo-Geo Pocket Maxi with a bigger, perfectly backlit modern display would have been so much better.

[OCEAN]

Sakura's Bank Manager

Thanks for the info! I was looking forward to the joysticks if they were good replicas, but it really sucks the joystick isn't clicky as the original.

capnd77

Marked Wolf
Well if the controller and the Mini's sticks are both analogue then it becomes just a display piece. If it's cheap enough I would still consider buying it and just putting it on my desk. Although unlikely, I'd love to see SNK also sell an OG stick or a bean stick as a premium add on. Even if it was a limited item, at the very least it would make the Mini more useable.

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
They should've made it work with existing Neo Geo controllers. In theory, a Neo Geo to USB adapter could be programmed to work.

capnd77

Marked Wolf
I have a Neo Geo X stick, it's about as cheaply made as you could imagine however i wonder if it would work with the Mini... Even it would be a better option than a analogue stick.

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
Who on earth would say KoTM is their favorite game.